• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2018 3:00 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9198 posts
3050 upvotes
arkane wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 12:51 pm
Question: apart from having to pay, how does Bria compare with Acrobits? The subscription fee of $10/year (if I'm reading it right) is honestly nothing, so for me it comes down to convenience and quality.
I find most SIP apps, unless they're extremely buggy, for basic operation are pretty similar other than differences involving UI. And a lot of them don't support push. Those that don't, including Bria, at one point, had reps raising security concerns. And then, suddenly, Bria offered push with a subscription, which I found laughable, to be honest. There was this ongoing rant by a Bria rep, and then suddenly that thread was deleted.

I can say that when I was testing Bria with push on someone else's iPhone that push notifications were coming in more slowly than with Groundwire, but that could be due to any number of reasons including push server location, routing to the push server, and where I happened to be testing from. I should also state that I've been stuck with iPhones (yeah, yeah) for some time now, and I haven't done a ton of testing with Groundwire on Android.

I can also afford $13.49+tax a year (which is the annual subscription fee for Bria). I simply refuse to pay for something, if I don't have to, on an ongoing basis.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.55) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
6951 posts
3104 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Webslinger wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 12:03 pm
Anveo Direct is entirely wholesale rates. You can pick and choose if you want value, standard, or prime rates.
You'd have to sign up at Anveo Direct to get those rates (anyone can). But I have to warn that I don't want to start providing tech support (it's simply too much work for me) for Anveo Direct, and without you using a third party PBX service or an OBi2xx or OBi3xx ATA with a static IP address from your ISP, it's going to be extremely difficult for newcomers to setup. So proceed only if you accept that you're going to have to put in a lot of work and effort. For Obihai OBi2xx/OBi3xx users, visit newegg-obihai-obi200-ata-49-99-1-50-ehf ... #p28835257.

That's a spreadsheet file that you're downloading (csv supported by Excel, for example).

Anveo (retail) is not Anveo Direct wholesale. Anveo retail is completely different and has higher rates. You don't need a static IP address or a PBX to use Anveo retail.

Anveo (retail): https://www.anveo.com/consumer/default.asp
Anveo Direct (wholesale): http://www.anveodirect.com/
Possible to use Anveo Direct via mobile app?
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9198 posts
3050 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 3:08 pm
Possible to use Anveo Direct via mobile app?
Yes, but you'd have to use another service (or server) first such as pbxes.org, and then register pbxes.org with your SIP app.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.55) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
6951 posts
3104 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Webslinger wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 3:24 pm
Yes, but you'd have to use another service (or server) first such as pbxes.org, and then register pbxes.org with your SIP app.
For our frequently called overseas numbers, Fongo is still cheaper for us. I'm not a huge Fongo fan and the 4¢/call in annoying, but by a few minutes in, I'll break even with Anveo, and that's not even factoring in the exchange rate.

2talk was cheaper for us, but I described the major annoyance in OP.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9198 posts
3050 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 4:47 pm
For our frequently called overseas numbers, Fongo is still cheaper for us.
Oh, that's interesting. A lot of international destinations I call are significantly more expensive using Fongo, Google Hangouts/Voice, VoIP.ms, etc. than with Anveo Direct.

Here's one example.

Japan Mobile number is 24 cents per minute (plus 4 cent connection fee) with Fongo Mobile.
Anveo Direct is 2.8 cents (CAD after conversion) per minute.
VoIP.ms is 13 cents per minute after conversion.
Google Voice is 12 cents.

You should definitely continue to use what works well for you and is cheap.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12958 posts
2484 upvotes
London
Zoiper has a free sip client for iOS and Android. I haven’t tried the android client yet. The free iOS client works with voip.ms and has the option for paid push and paid g.729

I’m not sure what difference is between the free client and the paid client
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9198 posts
3050 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 6:17 pm
The free iOS client works with voip.ms and has the option for paid push
$12.99 annual subscription
Or $1.29 per month

I found it amusing that Zoiper was making the same claims about security that a Bria rep used to when they both weren’t offering push. And now they’re both offering push on a subscription basis.

I’m not sure what difference is between the free client and the paid client
Conference, encryption, wideband audio, transfers, presence, call recording
Last edited by Webslinger on Oct 2nd, 2018 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 18, 2018
455 posts
252 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Webslinger wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 1:00 pm
I find most SIP apps, unless they're extremely buggy, for basic operation are pretty similar other than differences involving UI. And a lot of them don't support push. Those that don't, including Bria, at one point, had reps raising security concerns. And then, suddenly, Bria offered push with a subscription, which I found laughable, to be honest. There was this ongoing rant by a Bria rep, and then suddenly that thread was deleted.

I can say that when I was testing Bria with push on someone else's iPhone that push notifications were coming in more slowly than with Groundwire, but that could be due to any number of reasons including push server location, routing to the push server, and where I happened to be testing from. I should also state that I've been stuck with iPhones (yeah, yeah) for some time now, and I haven't done a ton of testing with Groundwire on Android.

I can also afford $13.49+tax a year (which is the annual subscription fee for Bria). I simply refuse to pay for something, if I don't have to, on an ongoing basis.
I see, thanks for the detailed writeup, appreciate it. Yeah I should've mentioned I'm only use Android, and I've read something about Groundwire not having the best Android support.

In any case, I think when go time actually rolls around, I'll just have to test a few SIP clients and find one that's most convenient for me.
GV/Hangouts + T-Mobile $10/2GB Simple Choice = Win
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12958 posts
2484 upvotes
London
Webslinger wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 6:26 pm
$12.99 annual subscription
Or $1.29 per month

I found it amusing that Zoiper was making the same claims about security that a Bria rep used to when they both weren’t offering push. And now they’re both offering push on a subscription basis.

Conference, encryption, wideband audio, transfers, presence, call recording
Are there any other free SIP clients for iOS ?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9198 posts
3050 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 9:06 pm
Are there any other free SIP clients for iOS ?
Off the top of my head, Grandstream Wave, but I haven't bothered looking at it closely.

Oh, and Linphone

CSipSimple is pretty popular on Android (not available on iOS)
[OP]
May 8, 2009
6951 posts
3104 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Webslinger wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 9:17 pm
Off the top of my head, Grandstream Wave, but I haven't bothered looking at it closely.

Oh, and Linphone

CSipSimple is pretty popular on Android (not available on iOS)
@Webslinger care to make a condensed list of sip clients for smartphones that we can include in OP or thread summary? You surely have more experience in those than me. I've used some VSP apps, Linphone (mostly "ports" adopted by the VSP) and the native Android dialler. A slick condensed list would probably add value to this thread.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9198 posts
3050 upvotes
Sorry, i’m dealing with too much at the moment.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12958 posts
2484 upvotes
London
Webslinger wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 6:26 pm
Webslinger wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 9:17 pm
,,,, Linphone
I went thru some of the linphone docs and I found this (below). Looks like push is mandatory with any SIP client on iOS above 10 if you want to receive voip calls

https://www.linphone.org/uploads/images ... t-2016.pdf
Push notification mandatory :
Applications compiled with Xcode >= 8 (ie iOS 10) have their TCP connections silently closed when the app goes to background mode. The PushKit framework allows to receive invisible push notifications that just wake up the application in the purpose of connecting to the SIP server to receive the pending call or message. On Windows Phone, when an app is put in background or when the screen is off, the app is killed. The push notification allows the user to restart the app and process the call.

Push notification highly recommended :
A VoIP app can work without Push Notifications on all Android versions and on iOS versions up to iOS 9 (sockets can receive information while the phone is off or app is in background, hence resuming the app).

On the plus side, linphone does have free g.729
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9198 posts
3050 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 1:20 am
Looks like push is mandatory with any SIP client on iOS above 10 if you want to receive voip calls
Push is only mandatory if the app is closed. Incoming calls work even when an iPhone is asleep, provided the app is in background mode.
Applications compiled with Xcode >= 8 (ie iOS 10) have their TCP connections silently closed when the app goes to background mode.
TCP registration is not offered by all SIP services. UDP registration is more common.

Backgrounding works with UDP without push at the expense of battery life for incoming calls.
Groundwire can do it ("Standard"). So can Zoiper (called "force background").

One thing that really pissed me off about Zoiper on iOS was that it didn't allow me to edit registration expiry timers, which prompted me to delete it back in 2015, I think. I haven't looked into whether that's changed since then.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
12958 posts
2484 upvotes
London
Webslinger wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 7:49 am
Push is only mandatory if the app is closed. Incoming calls work even when an iPhone is asleep, provided the app is in background mode.

TCP registration is not offered by all SIP services. UDP registration is more common.

Backgrounding works with UDP without push at the expense of battery life for incoming calls.
Groundwire can do it ("Standard"). So can Zoiper (called "force background").

One thing that really pissed me off about Zoiper on iOS was that it didn't allow me to edit registration expiry timers, which prompted me to delete it back in 2015, I think. I haven't looked into whether that's changed since then.
I couldn’t get Linphone to work for incoming calls on UDP with the app in background, but it did work when the screen was locked/off with the app in foreground. With TCP, it only worked with the app in foreground while the screen on.

With Zoiper, incoming calling did work with UDP as you said, with app in background and the screen locked/off. I didn’t see any place to adjust the registration timer in Zoiper