• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2018 3:00 pm
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9198 posts
3050 upvotes
l69norm wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 10:29 am
I couldn’t get Linphone to work for incoming calls on UDP with the app in background, but it did work when the screen was locked/off with the app in foreground.
While that's probably a shortcoming with Linphone (I don't have time to test right now), I suspect most people would prefer using push in order to save battery, in particular if TCP isn't an option.
I say "shortcoming" in a very loose sense because whatever Groundwire or Zoiper is doing is probably a kludge (workaround that is intended to circumvent whatever Apple intends) when using UDP in background mode.
Regardless, it's not mandatory for all iOS SIP apps to use push in order to receive incoming calls when using UDP, provided the app is in background mode (and provided the dev is smart). In fact, TCP transport with VoIP.ms works with Groundwire without push (on "Standard" for incoming calls) even after pressing the sleep button on an iPhone, but Groundwire does need to be in the background. I have no clue why that works with Groundwire though; if it's some sort of hack or kludge, I suspect the devs aren't willing to say how it's accomplished.

If the app is closed, push needs to be used with iOS.

In terms of battery drain, regardless of whether someone is on Android or iOS, Push uses the least amount of battery. However, TCP is significantly better than UDP for battery drain. Callcentric, Anveo (on paid plans), and VoIP.ms support TCP.
Last edited by Webslinger on Oct 9th, 2018 5:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.55) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
6948 posts
3103 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Update...added apps list to OP, along with links. If anyone would like to compare sip client apps, feel free to post and I'll link to it or quote in OP.
jensen1 wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 7:34 am
please sticky, very valuable info
Btw got sticky!
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1400 posts
361 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2018 3:29 pm
Update...added apps list to OP, along with links. If anyone would like to compare sip client apps, feel free to post and I'll link to it or quote in OP.

Btw got sticky!

Thank you OP. Excellent idea to concentrate all the usefull information dispersed around!

So, for the Android aps, Acribits Ground wire is the way to go now, i.e. tee only one for now with push and NO yearly subscription, right ?
Does it have push for both voice and SMS?

Secondly, are there any VoIP providers that support MMS?
Yes I know it is outdated, but people still send them, and expect a response.
And if VSP does not support MMS , you receive nothing, not even the text part.. Annoying...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9198 posts
3050 upvotes
arkane wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 8:26 pm
I see, thanks for the detailed writeup, appreciate it. Yeah I should've mentioned I'm only use Android, and I've read something about Groundwire not having the best Android support.
You may want to read Android users' experiences with Groundwire in this thread: search.php?keywords=groundwire&t=2142620.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.55) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
[OP]
May 8, 2009
6948 posts
3103 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Tichi wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 5:59 am

Thank you OP. Excellent idea to concentrate all the usefull information dispersed around!

So, for the Android aps, Acribits Ground wire is the way to go now, i.e. tee only one for now with push and NO yearly subscription, right ?

Secondly, are there any VoIP providers that support MMS?
Yes I know it is outdated, but people still send them, and expect a response.
And if VSP does not support MMS , you receive nothing, not even the text part.. Annoying...
Discussion on that topic at dslreports here. TL;dr try Twilio.
Webslinger wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 10:16 am

You may want to read Android users' experiences with Groundwire in this thread: search.php?keywords=groundwire&t=2142620.
That's a link to a search query @Webslinger. Do you have the direct link to the thread?
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9198 posts
3050 upvotes
titaniumtux wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 11:47 am

That's a link to a search query @Webslinger. Do you have the direct link to the thread?
Everything in that search query is isolated to a single thread.
Aug 6, 2012
184 posts
45 upvotes
TORONTO
An option not yet listed is https://jmp.chat ... it uses standard jabber clients for texting and SIP clients for calling. Canadian and US phone numbers.
Feb 28, 2012
74 posts
37 upvotes
EDMONTON
Tichi wrote:
Oct 4th, 2018 5:59 am
On Android, 'push' / client subscriptions are unnecessary.

With a few provisos you can have extremely reliable, battery efficient VoIP service on Android, using a standards-compliant SIP client and flexible VoIP service provider.

You will need:
  • TCP on the SIP connection (client & provider)
  • 'always available' enabled (client)
  • 'keep alive' setting bumped up to 1200 on TCP (client)
  • SIP registration on the same server as the inbound DID number (client & provider)

VoIP.ms is a provider that offers TCP on the SIP 5060 port.
The CSipSimple client allows adjustment of the TCP keep alive, and 'always available' for mobile data (and WiFi).
Zoiper does too, I believe. I'm most familiar with CSipSimple and love it's extreme configurability.

With those steps you can have 100% reliable server registrations with a mobile device, constant availability for inbound calls, and minimal battery impact with that always-on SIP connnection.
No 'push' or subscription necessary.

VoIP.ms has widely distributed servers, eg. Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver in Canada.
VoIP.ms offers free SMS service, with mulitple delivery options. There is an excellent Android SMS app, and a powerful tool for maintaining your VoIP.ms configuration.

With one of the $15 tablet SIMs, a proper SIP/VoIP client and a good VoIP service, you can laugh at the exploitive plan pricing of Canadian carriers.
Another option is the $15 Koodo prepaid with a data booster (doesn't expire). Cheap metered data, with unlimited cellular SMS & MMS on the SIM number. Add a voice booster for backup.
An always-connected SIP client sips data when configured correctly.

If using VoIP.ms set the client's codec priority to G.711u and G.729.
You don't need to pay for a G.729 license, the free G.711u is very good, though using a bit more bandwidth.
Difficulty connecting to another SIP/VoIP device is often a codec mismatch.

Thanks to titaniumtux for establishing this VoIP resource on RFD and Webslinger for his expertise.

--
VoIP.ms features
CSipSimple
Zoiper
VoIP.ms SMS
VoIP.ms Console
Last edited by pjw918 on Oct 8th, 2018 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 28, 2012
74 posts
37 upvotes
EDMONTON
Miscellaneous Tips

CSipSimple audio quality
Settings, Media, enable Expert mode (3 dot menu)
Then under Audio troubleshooting, set Audio implementation (Backend for Audio) to Java.
That may significantly enhance your in-call sound quality (from good to great).

VoIP.ms has excellent voicemail. No additional charge, store up to 100 3min messages, no auto-delete. It can be a good replacement for crippled WSP voicemail. You'd conditional forward your cell number to a VoIP.ms DID routed to the configured voicemail. Dial *97 from your SIP client to access, or use the VoIP.ms Console app to list, listen or optionally download. You can setup multiple mailboxes each with its own custom greeting, and filter incoming calls to a specific mailbox, based on CID or the DID dialed.

--
I'll add to this from time to time
[OP]
May 8, 2009
6948 posts
3103 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
jeremy4 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 10:09 am
An option not yet listed is https://jmp.chat ... it uses standard jabber clients for texting and SIP clients for calling. Canadian and US phone numbers.
Added to OP, thank you. Hadn't heard of it before.

Feel free to add more info if you see needed for OP.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
There is a Google Voice beta that has been ongoing since the spring. It doesn't require the use of Hangouts as there is a new dialer built into the GV app.

The beta was originally on Android only, but is now on iPhone also. Both work well. Along with this it is a local call to US/CA number from anywhere in the world. It isn't location dependent anymore.

The link to the beta signup is here,

https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... I7m1PrV21Y
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1400 posts
361 upvotes
pjw918 wrote:
Oct 8th, 2018 3:39 pm
On Android, 'push' / client subscriptions are unnecessary.

With a few provisos you can have extremely reliable, battery efficient VoIP service on Android, using a standards-compliant SIP client and flexible VoIP service provider.

You will need:
  • TCP on the SIP connection (client & provider)
  • 'always available' enabled (client)
  • 'keep alive' setting bumped up to 1200 on TCP (client)
  • SIP registration on the same server as the inbound DID number (client & provider)

VoIP.ms is a provider that offers TCP on the SIP 5060 port.
The CSipSimple client allows adjustment of the TCP keep alive, and 'always available' for mobile data (and WiFi).
Zoiper does too, I believe. I'm most familiar with CSipSimple and love it's extreme configurability.

With those steps you can have 100% reliable server registrations with a mobile device, constant availability for inbound calls, and minimal battery impact with that always-on SIP connnection.
No 'push' or subscription necessary.

VoIP.ms has widely distributed servers, eg. Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver in Canada.
VoIP.ms offers free SMS service, with mulitple delivery options. There is an excellent Android SMS app, and a powerful tool for maintaining your VoIP.ms configuration.

With one of the $15 tablet SIMs, a proper SIP/VoIP client and a good VoIP service, you can laugh at the exploitive plan pricing of Canadian carriers.
Another option is the $15 Koodo prepaid with a data booster (doesn't expire). Cheap metered data, with unlimited cellular SMS & MMS on the SIM number. Add a voice booster for backup.
An always-connected SIP client sips data when configured correctly.

If using VoIP.ms set the client's codec priority to G.711u and G.729.
You don't need to pay for a G.729 license, the free G.711u is very good, though using a bit more bandwidth.
Difficulty connecting to another SIP/VoIP device is often a codec mismatch.

Thanks to titaniumtux for establishing this VoIP resource on RFD and Webslinger for his expertise.

--
VoIP.ms features
CSipSimple
Zoiper
VoIP.ms SMS
VoIP.ms Console
Thanks a lot! Sounds interesting ! Will test the parameters you describe.

I'm not ready to go full-VoIP yet, but once I've found an impeccably reliable configuration, will do!
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2015
1868 posts
1189 upvotes
batcave wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 8:18 pm
There is a Google Voice beta that has been ongoing since the spring. It doesn't require the use of Hangouts as there is a new dialer built into the GV app.

The beta was originally on Android only, but is now on iPhone also. Both work well. Along with this it is a local call to US/CA number from anywhere in the world. It isn't location dependent anymore.

The link to the beta signup is here,

https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... I7m1PrV21Y
Do you have the link for iOS?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
2542 posts
944 upvotes
Everywhere
Androidmarshmellow wrote:
Nov 1st, 2018 7:40 am
Do you have the link for iOS?
It's the same link. The Android beta started in spring but recently the iOS functionality showed up after an update. The iOS functionality only appeared in accounts that were on the Android beta.
Apr 4, Supported platforms: Android & Web. iOS support coming soon!