Cell Phones

List of VOIP Providers & Hardware to Use on our Phones

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2019 9:42 am
May 18, 2007
619 posts
85 upvotes
I thought Google Voice isn't available in Canada, Did they change the policy?
Aug 12, 2018
17 posts
6 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Oct 2nd, 2018 12:28 pm
For SIP apps, I use Acrobits Groundwire since it supports push without a subscription, unlike Bria.
However, note that using Push requires you to give your SIP credentials to them (you register on their SIPIS server, and ring notifications are then pushed to you after a small delay). For some, that's a security issue. However, Acrobits can give you the software to admin your own SIPIS server, where you live, if you're willing to put in the work and keep a server running 24/7: https://doc.acrobits.net/sipis/installation.html. Also, visit https://forum.acrobits.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=101#p391. And, in that case, it's not all that spooky.

Acrobits, in my experience, also offers decent customer service.

Please note that I couldn't care less if you use or prefer something else. That's fine. Use what you like. I'm not interested in pushing anything I use. But I do get asked a lot.
Hi Webslinger,

I found that there are other FREE android apps with push notification feature out there, for example, linphone, mizudroid, and portsip . I tried linphone and mizudroid. I landed on mizudroid now because of its super detailed setting feature. And after I tweak a bit with the setting, like changing keep alive, register interval, auto start, etc, I can let the android push notification go through with no problem .

I have a question for you , these apps' push notification, compare to zoiper, bria, acrobits (groundwire), are they same or different? I know acrobit use its own server, but other than this , is it the same?

thanks

sam
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3277 upvotes
unclesamxu wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:38 pm

I have a question for you , these apps' push notification, compare to zoiper, bria, acrobits (groundwire), are they same or different? I know acrobit use its own server, but other than this , is it the same?
I've never used MizuDroid, so I can't really comment on it, other than all SIP apps offering push would require the use of servers somewhere.

I've discussed Acrobits Groundwire push over here: anyone-here-using-groundwire-sip-app-io ... #p28071603.

The basic process is not different.

Acrobits allows you to run your own (SIPIS) servers if you want. I have no clue whether Mizutech (MPUSH) does. I did try MizuPhone for iOS in the past and deleted it. Back then, it did not support push (and I found the app buggy at the time). It appears to offer push now.
Please do not PM me for tech support. I help out on the forums when I can. Thank you.
OBi200/202 Freephonline PDF guide (version 1.60) can be found here. OBi200 info can be found here. For OBi202 info, click here.
Aug 12, 2018
17 posts
6 upvotes
Webslinger wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 6:50 am
I've never used MizuDroid, so I can't really comment on it, other than all SIP apps offering push would require the use of servers somewhere.

The basic process is not different.
Thanks for the info. that what I guess as well. And I did check with background of cell phone. It was killed by the android. And when I use another phone to call the sip URI. my mi mix2 does wake up . It is the push working for sure.
Jan 22, 2017
963 posts
209 upvotes
anyone try les.net or circlenet?
STEP INTO THE DARK SIDE...
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1254 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
Very useful info, thanks OP
Simple is the best.
Feb 28, 2012
534 posts
484 upvotes
Edmonton
If you're thinking of trying out VoIP.ms, now might be a good time. Until Dec 31 they will match your initial deposit (15USD, down from $25), and waive the activation fee for a local DID. So you'd have $30 on account, good for a year or two of VoIP service.
VoIP offers flexibility, economy, carrier independence
VoIP.ms / CSipSimple / VoIP.ms SMS / Groundwire
TCP for reliable mobile VoIP, low battery impact
Apr 19, 2007
149 posts
3 upvotes
I have been using VOIP.ms for the last 3 months and ready to abandon the service and go back to a traditional carrier.

If all you do is make voice calls, VOIP.ms is fine. However, I text a lot and have found 3 disadvantages that are proving to be a big problem for me:

1) service is still in beta mode and can be quite unreliable. texts i send are sometimes undelivered and texts sent to me are not received
2) cannot attach images to text messages
3) some security/verification codes sent to you by banks etc. cannot be received by VOIP.ms
Feb 28, 2012
534 posts
484 upvotes
Edmonton
cdencore wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 5:34 pm
If all you do is make voice calls, VOIP.ms is fine. However, I text a lot and have found 3 disadvantages...
1) service is still in beta mode and can be quite unreliable. texts i send are sometimes undelivered and texts sent to me are not received
Which interface are you using for SMS?
2) cannot attach images to text messages
You cannot attach images to SMS messages.
VoIP.ms doesn't do MMS.
3) some security/verification codes sent to you by banks etc. cannot be received by VOIP.ms
Not a problem specific to VoIP.ms. For greater security banks/Google/others will not send 2FA texts to virtual or voip numbers.
Use the SIM number for inbound authorization SMS, it's reliable and free of charge.
Apr 19, 2007
149 posts
3 upvotes
pjw918 wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 6:16 pm

You cannot attach images to SMS messages.
VoIP.ms doesn't do MMS.

Not a problem specific to VoIP.ms. For greater security banks/Google/others will not send 2FA texts to virtual or voip numbers.
Use the SIM number for inbound authorization SMS, it's reliable and free of charge.
I am using Zoiper.
Feb 28, 2012
534 posts
484 upvotes
Edmonton
cdencore wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 10:44 pm
I am using Zoiper.
Zoiper for texting??
Play Store review, Dec 20: Not all SMS come through

Use the dedicate app for texting with VoIP.ms.
VoIP.ms SMS

It's excellent, reliable, fast.
Follow the instructions for setup!
Jan 15, 2016
158 posts
31 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I've been using Groundwire and find that texts have a slight delay, around 30 seconds at times both sending and receiving. I'm gonna try the IOS SMS app now but I've found that it doesn't sync up with my contacts. Any suggestions?
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
already posted this in another sub-forum and another thread, but inconclusive info

wanting an inexpensive VoIP plan where my Canadian number can be ported to so I can receive calls/sms with a flat monthly rate, with a decent app in iOS, to my US mobile number primarily used in Vancouver

what are my options? in layman's term please...lots of jargons used that's not just abbreviations already explained.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Feb 28, 2012
534 posts
484 upvotes
Edmonton
twitchyzero wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 11:02 pm
wanting an inexpensive VoIP plan where my Canadian number can be ported to so I can receive calls/sms with a flat monthly rate, with a decent app in iOS, to my US mobile number primarily used in Vancouver

what are my options? in layman's term please..
VoIP service, iOS client options.
VoIP.ms
Acrobits / Groundwire, Bria

VoIP.ms offers value pricing & SMS forwarding (direct to your US cell number).
They have two servers in Vancouver.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
4150 posts
519 upvotes
curious as to why server location matters? the closer the server never hurts for latency but it's not it needs the proximity of towers for reception?

there was an attempt to answer this on page 1 without too much jargon but the explanation doesn't work for me; 4G LTE data is less reliable than conventional broadband internet, but still don't see how that correlates to server location.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.