• Last Updated:
  • Oct 13th, 2019 9:42 am
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1632 posts
490 upvotes
twitchyzero wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 4:53 am
curious as to why server location matters? the closer the server never hurts for latency but it's not it needs the proximity of towers for reception?

there was an attempt to answer this on page 1 without too much jargon but the explanation doesn't work for me; 4G LTE data is less reliable than conventional broadband internet, but still don't see how that correlates to server location.
The signal still needs to travel from your cellphone company's servers (presumaby those are close to you) to the Voip provider server.
If two servers are across the continent, it may result in too big latency, and more importantly, jitter.
Jan 6, 2018
60 posts
14 upvotes
HI All, I did register to Voip.ms couple weeks ago : really bad echo in a phone, tablet and pc, system keeps deregistered the server, technical service blame is my problem.. I am using different servers, codec is set on ulaw, I tried alaw and gsm., fido $15 a month, tried with a bell sim with data and WiFi. Port 5060 TCP and RDP set 10000.Anyone having the same issue or I'm missing something?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1632 posts
490 upvotes
Rebelyouth wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 7:43 am
HI All, I did register to Voip.ms couple weeks ago : really bad echo in a phone, tablet and pc, system keeps deregistered the server, technical service blame is my problem.. I am using different servers, codec is set on ulaw, I tried alaw and gsm., fido $15 a month, tried with a bell sim with data and WiFi. Port 5060 TCP and RDP set 10000.Anyone having the same issue or I'm missing something?
What part of Canada are u in? If you are in the West, different (e.g. Seattle) voip.ms servers might work best for you.
I'm in ON, and Montreal vopi.ms servers work perfect for me. Via all of wifi, fido data and koodo data...
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1632 posts
490 upvotes
Rebelyouth wrote:
Feb 5th, 2019 7:43 am
P.S. ultimately, u migh wanna check ping (latency) and jitter ( an MSD of latency).

speedtest.net app now reports both.

The second one is more important, and if it is around 2 ms u are perfect, but it will still work OK if jitter is 10ms or so...

latency anywhere from 10 ms to a 100 ms is still good..
Jan 6, 2018
60 posts
14 upvotes
Hi Tichi,
I am near Toronto, tried with Toronto5 and Toronto8, Montreal and Atlanta, Samsung j7duo, LG tablet and regular pc, WiFi, fido lte, bell lte, direct connection, all 3 have echo issue and lost of voice, I followed the wiki, and called in, the tech really washed his hands. Hangout have no issue, and I'm trying with callcentric and the audio is really good, it's annoying put the 1 in front of the number, a little bit more expensive of voip.ms, so my devices are ok, I think some issue are on the server side. I would like to use voip because is cheaper of callcentric and free SMS, but in case I will use hangouts and callcentric.

What configuration you using @Tichi?
Jan 6, 2018
60 posts
14 upvotes
@Tichi I tried the test on for ping and I got 30 ms in Toronto and 40 ms in Montreal, ulaw and alaw, port rsp 10000 and 5060 TCP, still lots of echo, even on the 4443, the preregister voice there are lost of words, this append in all the devices.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1632 posts
490 upvotes
Rebelyouth wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 1:01 pm
Hi Tichi,
I am near Toronto, tried with Toronto5 and Toronto8, Montreal and Atlanta, Samsung j7duo, LG tablet and regular pc, WiFi, fido lte, bell lte, direct connection, all 3 have echo issue and lost of voice, I followed the wiki, and called in, the tech really washed his hands. Hangout have no issue, and I'm trying with callcentric and the audio is really good, it's annoying put the 1 in front of the number, a little bit more expensive of voip.ms, so my devices are ok, I think some issue are on the server side. I would like to use voip because is cheaper of callcentric and free SMS, but in case I will use hangouts and callcentric.

What configuration you using @Tichi?
I've used both Zoiper and Groundwire apps on multiple android cellphones, always worked well, never even bothered to tweak protocols from the defaults, i'm guessing it starts from simple gsm. The only thing i've ever changed was registration protocol to TCP, but is should not affect the voice stream...

Perhaps it is some weird audio quirk on ur particular cellphone, but then why other apps work? N.B. viop.ms tech folks have always been super nice and helpful for me, solved all the problems, perhaps you wanna try again with them?

I love voip.ms.. only google voice / hangouts is better but no canadian number is a killer for now...
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1632 posts
490 upvotes
Rebelyouth wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 1:10 pm
@Tichi I tried the test on for ping and I got 30 ms in Toronto and 40 ms in Montreal, ulaw and alaw, port rsp 10000 and 5060 TCP, still lots of echo, even on the 4443, the preregister voice there are lost of words, this append in all the devices.
Jitter!
Jan 6, 2018
60 posts
14 upvotes
How to fx that? hangout and callcentric don't have this issue, so its the server who have issue. I need to call in an see if I can get someone witg experience in jitter issue........
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1632 posts
490 upvotes
Rebelyouth wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 7:03 pm
How to fx that? hangout and callcentric don't have this issue, so its the server who have issue. I need to call in an see if I can get someone witg experience in jitter issue........
I suggest to check jitter with speedtest.net app. It now shows jitter
Feb 28, 2012
530 posts
479 upvotes
Edmonton
Rebel, you've reported "RDP 10000" and "port rsp 10000". You must be referring to the RTP port? that would be a range, and with VoIP.ms the RTP port range starts at 10001.

VoIP.ms (account settings): RTP Range: 10001-20000 UDP

You haven't mentioned your phone O/S or which client you're using.
There will be an echo cancellation setting, usual default is On, try it Off.
VAD should be off.

On Android I've had excellent results with CSipSimple, it has many audio quality settings (under Media), most should be left at the default. Under Audio troubleshooting, try Audio implementation set to Java, that can sigficantly enhance voice quality.

Set your first choice of codecs in your client to g.711u (ulaw), it's audibly better than g.729.
It's the codec Google uses (with Opus) for Hangouts & GVoice.

VoIP.ms Console has a server ping test (select the servers you're interested in, no need to run the whole battery). This app is indispensible for VoIP.ms users (on Android).

As Tichi mentioned jitter is quite important, check yours with Speedtest.
I've found connection quality on the Fido data SIM less than ideal.
VoIP offers flexibility, economy, carrier independence
VoIP.ms / CSipSimple / VoIP.ms SMS / Groundwire
TCP for reliable mobile VoIP, low battery impact
Feb 28, 2012
530 posts
479 upvotes
Edmonton
batcave wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2019 9:12 am
Google Voice wi-fi/data calling is being rolled out in stages according to this product expert...

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/1210299?hl=en
As of yesterday all Google Voice accounts have been converted to support WiFi Calling.

In the app under Settings / Calls you should now see 'Make and receive calls', and the 'Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data' option.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1632 posts
490 upvotes
pjw918 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2019 2:13 pm
As of yesterday all Google Voice accounts have been converted to support WiFi Calling.

In the app under Settings / Calls you should now see 'Make and receive calls', and the 'Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data' option.
Is this via GV app?

One can do wifi calling with Hangouts, of course, but I've heard that Google is killing hangouts?
So, what's gonna remain? GV app? Can one now legally install it from Play Store in Canada?
Or still *.apk?
Feb 28, 2012
530 posts
479 upvotes
Edmonton
Tichi wrote:
Feb 13th, 2019 1:07 pm
Is this via GV app?

One can do wifi calling with Hangouts, of course, but I've heard that Google is killing hangouts?
So, what's gonna remain? GV app? Can one now legally install it from Play Store in Canada?
Or still *.apk?
You can now download the Google Voice app from the 'Canadian' Play Store.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e&hl=en_CA

Hangouts is a convenient VoIP option, for outbound calls.
Voice is a complete VoIP option, still requires a US number.