List of VOIP Providers & Hardware to Use on our Phones

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 6th, 2024 4:11 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
Tichi wrote: Android. It shows during a call in progress and updates continuously.
Strange, mine doesn't show the (i) icon.
Images
  • Screenshot_20200129-150015.png
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
BTW, does anyone's Groundwire app work with bluetooth?

Mine does not :(
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
flyboy320 wrote: Strange, mine doesn't show the (i) icon.
Hmmm. Interface of my groundwire is totally different ( sorry, dunno how to takr screen grabs quickly)
version 5.2.18 (paid).
Maybe you ned to upgrade?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
Tichi wrote: Hmmm. Interface of my groundwire is totally different ( sorry, dunno how to takr screen grabs quickly)
version 5.2.18 (paid).
Maybe you ned to upgrade?
Ya weird, same version 5.2.18 build 1330408
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
flyboy320 wrote: Ya weird, same version 5.2.18 build 1330408
hmm weird indeed.
different android version? different screen size?
I use my groundwire on androids 6 to 8, big 6.4" phone, and a tablet...
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2008
1828 posts
884 upvotes
Up in the air
Tichi wrote: hmm weird indeed.
different android version? different screen size?
I use my groundwire on androids 6 to 8, big 6.4" phone, and a tablet...
Pixel 3XL on 10.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2463 posts
2595 upvotes
Toronto
I want to be able to make and receive calls and texts in conjunction with a Roam Mobility data plan for when I travel to the US. Based on my preliminary research it seems like Talkatone is the best option?
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2716 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
@titaniumtux There hasn't been a free New York area phone number at Callcentric for a while. I pay 1.00 a month now for it. Can you update your list?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Bull Dog wrote: @titaniumtux There hasn't been a free New York area phone number at Callcentric for a while. I pay 1.00 a month now for it. Can you update your list?
Done and thank you.

Interesting DP, I recently signed up for FreeSpeech. Was a hassle but now on basic plan I get some free minutes to call landlines in a few destinations :lol:
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2716 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: Done and thank you.

Interesting DP, I recently signed up for FreeSpeech. Was a hassle but now on basic plan I get some free minutes to call landlines in a few destinations :lol:
I'm not sure if these services are worth the money now that you can dial anywhere in UK, Canada,Mexico and USA with the smart speakers. Although I find it hard to hear the other person when I've dialed a UK number on my Echo dot. Have you tried using a smart speaker?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
Asking here as I could not find any related thread.

Are there any Freedompop users around? I relized itt functions pretty well in Canada via the app, but I cannot receive texts for some reason...

Anyone else having this problem?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Bull Dog wrote: I'm not sure if these services are worth the money now that you can dial anywhere in UK, Canada,Mexico and USA with the smart speakers. Although I find it hard to hear the other person when I've dialed a UK number on my Echo dot. Have you tried using a smart speaker?
What's this smart speaker you're referring to?
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Nov 14, 2003
704 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
Tichi wrote: Asking here as I could not find any related thread.

Are there any Freedompop users around? I relized itt functions pretty well in Canada via the app, but I cannot receive texts for some reason...

In Canada use the version of the app that doesn't require a SIM,
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .ott&hl=en
It's flaky (sometimes I have to delete all data, and login again), but it works. I'm on version 22.01, on a tablet.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Cnsultnt wrote: In Canada use the version of the app that doesn't require a SIM,
It's flaky (sometimes I have to delete all data, and login again), but it works. I'm on version 22.01, on a tablet.
Nice find!
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
Cnsultnt wrote: In Canada use the version of the app that doesn't require a SIM,
Thanks! Play store tells me "not available in your country" but I installed the same version 22.01 from apkmirror and it works just fine!

I'm using it with my old freedompop free account, which has 200 mins NA and 100 mins international.

But it seems one can register with another e-mail and get something different?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 14, 2003
6675 posts
5466 upvotes
LaLaLand
Tichi wrote: Asking here as I could not find any related thread.

Works fine for me.
Mar 31, 2020
309 posts
206 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
I have been using Betamax/Dellmont/FinArea clones for over a decade. ActionVOIP, SmartVOIP, Rynga, etc. I keep switching based on price and "Super Deals", and I have found them very reliable, affordable and of high quality. Super Deals include free calls or discounted call rates to select destinations (fixed number of days, varies with brand).

These brands offer a variety of calling options too:
  • Via browser
  • Via callback
  • Downloadable software (PC/Mac)
  • Mobile app - their own, and third-party soft-phones
  • Local access
  • SIP device

On Android devices, I was using easy-to-tweak configurations within CSipSimple. And there's also the MobileVOIP application for both Android and iOS.

I tried Google's offering recently (via Hangouts dialler) but I found it quite choppy and it wouldn't display my number at the other end; haven't faced this issue with the services I mentioned earlier.
If all the world's a stage, then where is my audience?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
1947 posts
649 upvotes
Hey, Folks, anybody having problem with their Freedompop app?

My app version 22 refuses to work now, while a newer app v.25 from apkmirror does not want to install on my system..

If I log in from a web browser, my freedompop account seems ok...

Thank you for any suggestion ...