[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2006
1363 posts
1297 upvotes
Canada

List Your Favorite Independent Restaurant. No Big Chain Type Places

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is appropriate, but I am not too fond of the fast food chains anymore. Way too expensive, and you get low quality
food / and small portions.

I thought maybe I can try and start a thread on your favorite type of independent restaurants.This idea would benefit us and also
help out the " little guys trying to make a living ", and I know there is a lot of independent places out there that give more
bang for your buck out there.

Maybe I watch too much of the show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives lol. http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners ... dives.html

Any thoughts ? ....... Post a place you have been to that has great food. Maybe list your favorite food from their menu etc...

Please don't post big chain fast food places , such as Mcdonalds, KFC , Wendys , Harvey's etc..
167 replies
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
160 upvotes
�� wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2014 10:40 am
Canoe
Canoe is part of the Oliver bonacini chain including: jump, biffs bistro, auberge du pomier, o&b restauarant and a couple of others
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2006
1363 posts
1297 upvotes
Canada
Anybody know of a little independent place that serves great tasting pizza in the GTA area ? Can be anywhere actually, Scarborough, Pickering ... etc

Thanks
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10428 posts
695 upvotes
J.C wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2014 3:38 pm
Anybody know of a little independent place that serves great tasting pizza in the GTA area ? Can be anywhere actually, Scarborough, Pickering ... etc

Thanks
North of Brooklyn is pretty good.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
13391 posts
2205 upvotes
Toronto
In Scarborough Ontario:
Flippers Fish house @ Kennedy & Lawrence. Good food!
(You don't have to like fish either. There's also other menu choices) :arrow: http://www.flippersfishhouse.ca/

In North York, Ontario:
Anthony's @ Don Mills & Lawrence :arrow: http://www.anthonysgrill.ca/

Both are very good restaurants. Flippers has a self serve salad bar and Anthony's has self serve soup with a much smaller self serve salad selection.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2006
1363 posts
1297 upvotes
Canada
Thanks. Those are some good recommendations .. Anymore places that have good grub, feel free to post.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
10428 posts
695 upvotes
There are so many good restaurants you kind of need to ask for some cuisine or price or neighborhood or something.
Mar 24, 2017
3 posts
1 upvote
Mississauga
1. Paddle & Pint (Georgetown) - Canadian Bistro type place, small joint but super delicious!

2. Freshly Thai (Brampton) - Place run by a few Thai women, when its packed things can be slow but always worth the wait
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
725 upvotes
restaurants we frequent:
Rendezvous - Ethiopian
Dragon Boat Fusion - Dim Sum
Udupi Palace - Dosa
Mt Everest - Nepalease
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2006
2504 posts
228 upvotes
Whitby
J.C wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks
Calabria Bakery on Midland Rd only makes pizzas on Thursday and Friday with real logs.

Fratelli's Village Pizzaria in Highland Creek, great wood oven pizzas and excellent calamari & tiramisu.

Pizza Pino if you are looking for a belly buster, some heavy pizzas come out of there.

I haven't tried Pie in Pickering, but it has numerous locations now. It looked interesting when I saw it on the food network. I recently bought a wagjag for it to check it out.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4114 posts
775 upvotes
Regina
J.C wrote:
Oct 22nd, 2014 12:59 am
Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is appropriate, but I am not too fond of the fast food chains anymore. Way too expensive, and you get low quality
food / and small portions.

I thought maybe I can try and start a thread on your favorite type of independent restaurants.This idea would benefit us and also
help out the " little guys trying to make a living ", and I know there is a lot of independent places out there that give more
bang for your buck out there.

Maybe I watch too much of the show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives lol. http://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/diners ... dives.html

Any thoughts ? ....... Post a place you have been to that has great food.

Don't post big chain fast food places , such as Mcdonalds, KFC , Wendys , Harvey's etc..
you watch too much triple D, as do I, lol