• Jan 6th, 2018 8:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18780 posts
3861 upvotes
Thornhill

Litter box options

Currently using an open one, takes up the whole 2nd washroom, good for when I was single and only needed one washroom, so now I'm looking for something smaller. I've been looking at some top entry ones but opinions vary. I've also considered making a DIY hidden cabinet/shelf mod but I'm not sure if I want to commit all that and have the cats not use it.
4 replies
Nov 7, 2012
684 posts
244 upvotes
TORONTO
When I was in a bachelor apt. I used one of my lower cupboards in my kitchen as his poo closet. It was an open type box.

Now that I have a home, his box is the enclosed type and in our basement away from everything.

If you don't have that option I would look into building one of those DIY hidden ones.
[OP]
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
18780 posts
3861 upvotes
Thornhill
We live in a condo, so I am currently looking into building a hidden one. I found an old IKEA outdoor chest for $20 and cut a plastic tote bin, and I have attempted to use a cooling rack to help reduce litter tracking. The tracking is still there, so I moved the entranceway to the rear so they have to exit from the rear onto a mat, hopefully reducing litter on the ground.

Please don't mind the mess of a washroom, it was used as a storage room for years, it'll eventually become a usable washroom.
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1476 posts
378 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
For years we used one of those plastic baby baths as a litter box. A white one we got at a second-hand store for $1 that resembles the one below. Besides the low cost and durability, we discovered a surprising benefit -- since the sides are higher than a standard litter box, less litter ends up on the floor when the cat does all of his/her covering up. Just a thought in case you can't find another way to address that problem.
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
5947 posts
682 upvotes
TheHans wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 5:35 pm
For years we used one of those plastic baby baths as a litter box. A white one we got at a second-hand store for $1 that resembles the one below. Besides the low cost and durability, we discovered a surprising benefit -- since the sides are higher than a standard litter box, less litter ends up on the floor when the cat does all of his/her covering up. Just a thought in case you can't find another way to address that problem.
Bingo! Regular cat litter boxes are too small, have low sides which create a mess on the floor around them, and are seriously overpriced. I bought a large plastic storage bin for a good price, threw away the lid and it has worked well for me for many years. Look around - and the last place you should look for a litter box is in the pet section.