• Jul 7th, 2012 5:42 am
Tags:
None
Nov 8, 2007
383 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa

Little girl separated from mother after OC Transpo driver refuses to stop bus

Looking for comments on this story. Bus driver refuses to stop because its against the rules. Did he do the right thing or has the nanny state taken over so much that the driver was put in a position where he would be subject to the union, suspension or possible termination should somebody complain that the extra 10 second stop made them late for something??? Seems silly but we all know the somebody would come down on the driver had somebody complained about the extra stop.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/News/Blott ... story.html
76 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2010
3975 posts
203 upvotes
Scarborough
its the nanny state thing......

Let the union-worker thrashing begin again :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7548 posts
387 upvotes
Scarborough
Babbsy wrote:
Jun 28th, 2012 3:30 pm
Looking for comments on this story. Bus driver refuses to stop because its against the rules. Did he do the right thing or has the nanny state taken over so much that the driver was put in a position where he would be subject to the union, suspension or possible termination should somebody complain that the extra 10 second stop made them late for something??? Seems silly but we all know the somebody would come down on the driver had somebody complained about the extra stop.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/News/Blott ... story.html
By all indications, the driver was aware that something dramatic relating to a child had happened. He should have stopped. Period. The driver was in the wrong, and should be charged with wilful child neglect, if a police investigation proves he ignored the mother and other passengers. (in MY opinion, anyway.)
No, I do NOT have any Z10's or Z30's left for sale. Stop PM'ing me!
BST Reference: Heatware | RFD
Wins: 2010 - Asus G73Sw-AY1 / 2012 - $50 BB Card in "RFD OT Reboot" / 2013 - MobilSyrup.com Samsung Galaxy note 8.0 LTE from Bell
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
502 upvotes
London
Hmm. There is likely more to this story

The driver 'appeared to know the situation'. Very likely the driver only knew that someone missed the stop. There is always another stop as they say. Perhaps the driver didn't know the extent of the situation. If it was such a crowded bus the driver probably had no idea what was goin on at the back door. A few people get off, one kid, nothing unusual. Leaving the stop someone randomly yelling or talking loud also not unusual.

Hmm. Newspapers were contacted BEFORE any kind of complain or investigation was started at OC.

Would like to see the video on this one.

Wonder how far the next stop was.

I don't know if they actually have a NO EXTRA STOPS policy there. If they do I'm sure that will now change.

If the driver did know what happened then absolutely he should have stopped if it was indeed safe, or waited longer at the stop.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4335 posts
308 upvotes
Mississauga
Goddamn unionized pricks are heartless.
Buy Bell, and you go to HELL! :-0
[OP]
Nov 8, 2007
383 posts
9 upvotes
Ottawa
redgrandam wrote:
Jun 28th, 2012 3:40 pm
Hmm. There is likely more to this story

The driver 'appeared to know the situation'. Very likely the driver only knew that someone missed the stop. There is always another stop as they say. Perhaps the driver didn't know the extent of the situation. If it was such a crowded bus the driver probably had no idea what was goin on at the back door. A few people get off, one kid, nothing unusual. Leaving the stop someone randomly yelling or talking loud also not unusual.

Hmm. Newspapers were contacted BEFORE any kind of complain or investigation was started at OC.

Would like to see the video on this one.

Wonder how far the next stop was.

I don't know if they actually have a NO EXTRA STOPS policy there. If they do I'm sure that will now change.

If the driver did know what happened then absolutely he should have stopped if it was indeed safe, or waited longer at the stop.

Read the story agan. The driver new exactly what was going on.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4335 posts
308 upvotes
Mississauga
Babbsy wrote:
Jun 28th, 2012 3:58 pm
Read the story agan. The driver new exactly what was going on.
What exactly was new about the driver?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7101 posts
538 upvotes
It's very easy for lower end jobs to take no responsibility for anything and just "follow the rules". The issue is when you try to step outside boundaries set by your company, you're no longer protected by your company's covenant. Imagine if the bus driver let her off and she got struck by a car because she's not supposed to be let off in the middle of the transitway (which is a highway with no sidewalks)? What then? He didn't follow procedure so he'd be in the wrong as well and he'd be sued or worse charged for her possible death. It's on the transitway so even though it's not sealed off, it's a "bus highway" so there's no sidewalks or safe route for a pedestrian.

I'm questioning if OCtranspo has a protocol for such incidents (like you can call a transport dispatch to collect the girl while they reach the next stop since in the transitway's case, the next stop is likely 5-10min away). I'm also questioning how the girl got off but not the mother. From what I can read, the article implies the girl got off at the stop and the mom was still halfway stuck in the bus. Why would she let her daughter get so far away from her in a crowded area? if that's the case, seems like just another "I missed my stop" incident to the driver which may be why he didn't want to let her off.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2009
5385 posts
102 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote:
Jun 28th, 2012 4:21 pm
From what I can read, the article implies the girl got off at the stop and the mom was still halfway stuck in the bus. Why would she let her daughter get so far away from her in a crowded area? if that's the case, seems like just another "I missed my stop" incident to the driver which may be why he didn't want to let her off.
From what I can read, the article says:
That separated her from the woman who looked to be her mother, as she was unable to make her way through the crowded bus to get to the exit in time.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Little+gir ... z1z6doTcQV
Looks like the girl followed someone who looked like her mom off the stop. Even if it was a "I missed my stop" incident, he should have stopped due to the circumstances anyway.
AcidBomber wrote:
Jan 19th, 2012 8:09 pm
Warning to all (trolls) - next person to post any flamebaits (religious, sexist, racial, etc) gets an automatic ban.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7101 posts
538 upvotes
All it says is that the girla nd her mother got separated when the girl got off at the stop and her mother was stuck in the crowd.

The issue I'm having is there nowhere in the article does it confirm the bus dirver knew the exact details. All I read that comes close is the other passenger saying:
"[...]the driver appeared to know what the situation was[...]"
In what detail can the other apssenger judge that? The driver might have known someone had missed their stop, but maybe he didn't know the incident with the child. The article also states nobody really noticed until 100 yards away, by which he might have judged it too dangerous to let someone off. Also, like I said, this isn't a regular street it's the transitway which is a dedicated bus highway. Even if there aren't concrete walls at this point (like the witness says), it still isn't a road meant for pedestrians so there was no gaurantee for the mother's safety had she been let off and if something happened to her, the driver would be liable for letitng her off in an unsafe zone.

I'm not saying the driver isn't in the wrong, but there are missing details and I wouldn't be SO quick to throw him "under the bus" :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
Yes he most certainly should have stopped, but i do not see how the Police could charge him with anything. Also, lets keep the Union bashing out of this. No pro or con union comments as that will only turn the thread political and you know where that leads.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
4335 posts
308 upvotes
Mississauga
sylpherware wrote:
Jun 28th, 2012 4:33 pm
From what I can read, the article says:

Looks like the girl followed someone who looked like her mom off the stop. Even if it was a "I missed my stop" incident, he should have stopped due to the circumstances anyway.
However since he was no longer at the designated stop, if he let her off midway and she got ran over or something, his and his employer's necks would be on the line.

He made the right decision. The mother should have been more careful and not let her daughter get off while being so far away from herself.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 30, 2006
8728 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
It is a concern how the 6 year old was separated from the mother on the bus in the first place.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2011
3684 posts
123 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Even worse this happened at Iris Station, right by a wooded area. I am sure the bus driver knew, and he didn't care 100% :facepalm: This has happened before, bus drivers not stopping or when they do but people don't get out in time. I am not surprised this happened. Some drivers like the close the doors on you while you are exiting.

D-Roc wrote:
Jun 28th, 2012 4:43 pm
It is a concern how the 6 year old was separated from the mother on the bus in the first place.
It says in the article that the bus was jammed pack. If they're at the back or middle of the bus, it would be hard to exit the bus especially when people are not willing to move out of the way.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2011
1467 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
D-Roc wrote:
Jun 28th, 2012 4:43 pm
Most likely irresponsible parent who likes to blame others.
× < >