Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Apple

LIVE!!!! Intel Retail Edge 2012 Holiday Deal, I7 3770K, DZ77 MB, Intel 520 SSD $85+

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 12th, 2013 7:14 am
Tags:
None
Feb 15, 2009
60 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
I'm getting this CPU, but not sure what motherboard to get. I've read through some of the comments discussing it but still am not sure.

Would be great if someone could recommend one for me, below is what I am looking to use it for.

- Want to build a hackintosh
- Z77 is required (interested in the SSD caching feature)
- Want to use 3-4 monitors. I have a discrete video card to use with it.
- I don't game, but plan on using it for running several Virtual Machines, programming etc.
- Want a high quality motherboard
- May setup a RAID configuration.

Appreciate any input, I have been out of the computer scene for a while so I'm not sure what I should buy.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
2089 posts
991 upvotes
YYC
Does the payment have to be under the account holders name? I am using my cousins account to get it.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2011
2000 posts
8820 upvotes
MisterV wrote: I'm getting this CPU, but not sure what motherboard to get. I've read through some of the comments discussing it but still am not sure.

Would be great if someone could recommend one for me, below is what I am looking to use it for.

- I don't game, but plan on using it for running several Virtual Machines, programming etc.

Appreciate any input, I have been out of the computer scene for a while so I'm not sure what I should buy.
i bought the processor and i ended up getting the asus P8Z77-V LK for $124.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1285 posts
795 upvotes
im pretty sure the gpu works best with AMD ones, and the mobo is gonna be a gigabyte one. and i believe theres only a couple of drives u can use that will work best check out tonymac they give u lots of details on it, im thinking of doing the same as well.
Feb 15, 2009
60 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
Kyaku wrote: im pretty sure the gpu works best with AMD ones, and the mobo is gonna be a gigabyte one. and i believe theres only a couple of drives u can use that will work best check out tonymac they give u lots of details on it, im thinking of doing the same as well.
Thanks Kyaku.

Yes just came across TonyMac. He has a good guide posted for this CPU:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.ca/search/label/CustoMac
Nov 27, 2009
49 posts
4 upvotes
What's a good motherboard to get with this CPU?
Feb 15, 2009
60 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
user681 wrote: What's a good motherboard to get with this CPU?
Any motherboard with a Z77 chipset would be a good choice.
Mar 17, 2006
321 posts
59 upvotes
... Received my package 3 weeks ago via UPS. Asked the guy if any additional charges at the door; he said none he could see.

Cool.

Just got a UPS bill in the mail. Shipped from the US to Canada, and have a Summary of Charges totalling $89.36 CDN which includes Customs HST, brokerage fees, and an entry prep fee.

Good times. ><
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2007
1397 posts
86 upvotes
How long does shipping take? Debating whether I should order to a US address for pickup next weekend...
Oct 26, 2006
585 posts
63 upvotes
East GTA - Durham Re…
misterv wrote: i'm getting this cpu, but not sure what motherboard to get. I've read through some of the comments discussing it but still am not sure.

Would be great if someone could recommend one for me, below is what i am looking to use it for.

- want to build a hackintosh
- z77 is required (interested in the ssd caching feature)
- want to use 3-4 monitors. I have a discrete video card to use with it.
- i don't game, but plan on using it for running several virtual machines, programming etc.
- want a high quality motherboard
- may setup a raid configuration.

Appreciate any input, i have been out of the computer scene for a while so i'm not sure what i should buy.
ga-z77-ds3h $90 bucks at tigerdirect
Jul 5, 2009
178 posts
52 upvotes
Vancouver
Devatox wrote: ... Received my package 3 weeks ago via UPS. Asked the guy if any additional charges at the door; he said none he could see.

Cool.

Just got a UPS bill in the mail. Shipped from the US to Canada, and have a Summary of Charges totalling $89.36 CDN which includes Customs HST, brokerage fees, and an entry prep fee.

Good times. ><

Wow why so much? More than double my charge
Feb 17, 2010
997 posts
38 upvotes
Devatox wrote: ... Received my package 3 weeks ago via UPS. Asked the guy if any additional charges at the door; he said none he could see.

Cool.

Good times. ><
The hell? It only cost me ~$20 or so.

UPS really, really screwed you over if you had to pay ~$90
Mar 17, 2006
321 posts
59 upvotes
Anjexu wrote: The hell? It only cost me ~$20 or so.

UPS really, really screwed you over if you had to pay ~$90
Tell me about it. Just gonna sleep on it before I decide how to deal with it.

CA Customs HST: $31.57
Brokerage GST/HST: $6.19
Total Government Charges: $37.76
Entry Prep Fee: $45.60
Bond Fee: $6.00
Total Brokerage Charges: $51.60

Net Payable: $89.36

(Mobo+CPU was what was ordered)
Jul 5, 2009
178 posts
52 upvotes
Vancouver
Devatox wrote: Tell me about it. Just gonna sleep on it before I decide how to deal with it.

CA Customs HST: $31.57
Brokerage GST/HST: $6.19
Total Government Charges: $37.76
Entry Prep Fee: $45.60
Bond Fee: $6.00
Total Brokerage Charges: $51.60

Net Payable: $89.36

(Mobo+CPU was what was ordered)
Looks like you were charged entry prep fee when you shouldn't have been
everything else looks about right

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shippi ... rance.html

According to that, entry prep is free for UPS Worldwide Express Saver
Mine said it was shipped by UPS Worldwide Saver but I think they're the same thing?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1285 posts
795 upvotes
MisterV wrote: I'm getting this CPU, but not sure what motherboard to get. I've read through some of the comments discussing it but still am not sure.

Which build did you end up going with?
Mar 17, 2006
321 posts
59 upvotes
89fenix wrote: Looks like you were charged entry prep fee when you shouldn't have been
everything else looks about right

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shippi ... rance.html

According to that, entry prep is free for UPS Worldwide Express Saver
Mine said it was shipped by UPS Worldwide Saver but I think they're the same thing?
Thanks very much for that insight! Appreciate the help. Will post once I get unscrewed from the mess. Hopefully. :P
Aug 6, 2008
174 posts
27 upvotes
i will be ordering this but i wont need it as i am fine with my 2700k from last winter. who ever wants it i will be selling the 3770k for $300 on kijiji i live in London.
Feb 15, 2009
60 posts
2 upvotes
Scarborough
Kyaku wrote: Which build did you end up going with?
Still waiting for the CPU to come in. I'm still debating if I should build small compact tower or a standard ATX one. Here are my choices:

ATX:
GA-Z77-ds3h
GA-Z77-UD5H (Believe this has ThunderBolt, but is more expensive)
Case ???? (Open to suggestions)

Mini-ITX:
GA-H77N-WIFI
BitFenix Prodigy (Really nice case)

With the mini-ITX you only get 2 ram slots and 1 PCI-E slot. So you will be limited with expansion options. Also the Mini-ITX motherboard has some issues with overclocking but I won't be doing that so doesn't matter to me.
Sep 2, 2008
514 posts
113 upvotes
Halifax
Hey anyone know if the sales are still going on?... Thinking about finding someone to order me the Proc+Mobo if it still is....
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
5593 posts
2537 upvotes
Kitchener
OOG FunK wrote: Hey anyone know if the sales are still going on?... Thinking about finding someone to order me the Proc+Mobo if it still is....
Nope. It's expired. I couldn't get my pay stub in in time. :( Oh well.
This space is intentionally left blank.