Hot Deals

[Live Out There] Lifetime Membership Program Holder - $20 off with coupon code LIFETIME20

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 12:58 am
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2008
4929 posts
2194 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Like most of you guys, I'm definitely not feeling the logo. I was hoping for some accessories like gloves and hats =/
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Nov 25, 2007
726 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto
Spoonsy wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 5:21 pm
Got this email too but I don't see any appeal here. Too much focus on how much of a "deal" you get thanks to the direct-to-customer model. Too many quotes and self-indulgence by JAMIE CLARKE, CEO. Not much technical detail, which is what matters in the high-end segment that they're comparing themselves to. Doesn't even say the weight lol. No mention that I could see about warranty or if they offer repairs. With Patagonia ya it's expensive but they have rock solid customer service and repair centre to back it up. If you don't want to pay Patagonia MSRPs go for the MEC branded stuff instead and know that you get a rock solid guarantee and a good price.
On their Our Mission page:

The Jamie Clarke Approval
Our gear is designed and tested in house with our CEO Jamie Clarke. He has summited Everest twice, climbed the Seven Summits, ridden camels across the Empty Quarter of Arabia, and he personally approves all of our products.

lol..

Feels like their whole approach is copying Everlane with the transparency, showcasing factories, the pricing graph and the layout of the sites are similar
Mar 21, 2010
350 posts
182 upvotes
Vancouver
hesp wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 5:18 pm
gear seems ok but the logo/insignia is not good on a jacket. its like a corporate sponsorship logo
Someone's already make their own version...

Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2005
1641 posts
592 upvotes
Ottawa
aeba7 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:23 pm
Like most of you guys, I'm definitely not feeling the logo.
I suppose they have to build a brand to warrant their profit margin. I wish them well but, given the constant sales among established brands these days, competition looks brutal.
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2003
4773 posts
591 upvotes
GVR
I hope the brand is reading this thread.

As someone mentioned, the brand missed the mark in various aspects: Technical details on the products, warranty, durability / tried-and-tested product development.

All in all, it doesn't seem to understand its target market.

For example, the following. I personally don't really care what he's done if it's not done in their own gear. They need to be tested in the extreme elements (the who, alone, doesn't mean jack). Also, ideally, independently tested with no financial ties. No disrespect to his achievements, but product testing is not about him:
Our gear is designed and tested in house with our CEO Jamie Clarke. He has summited Everest twice, climbed the Seven Summits, ridden camels across the Empty Quarter of Arabia, and he personally approves all of our products.
Last edited by chatbox on Nov 14th, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Feb 25, 2017
32 posts
8 upvotes
Burnaby
They used to have some really good deals on past-season gear, kind of like a cross between Altitude Sports & their bargain sister-site, The Last Hunt. They also carried United By Blue and had really good sales on those, too! Can't say I'm the hugest fan of their own designs; seems pretty generic to me, and the logo + branding just seem... off. Definitely more like some sort of corporate sponsorship logo rather than an outdoor gear brand.

I get they seem to be trying to emulate the likes of MEC by designing & manufacturing their own gear... maybe after a few seasons they'll be able to make some nicer, refined stuff. But disappointed they're making everything in China, but at least they're attempting to be transparent about it, like Patagonia. Even Arc'Teryx has outsources a lot of their gear to Chinese factories; very rarely is an entire company's lineup made in Canada anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 8, 2003
7677 posts
731 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Looks like my old account is gone along with the unused credit, not nice
Deal Addict
May 17, 2011
1343 posts
454 upvotes
Calgary
Saying "Our new business model makes it possible for us to offer gear at the best prices in the outdoor industry, in a way no discount membership ever could. And so we have discontinued it" doesn't even make any damn sense.

It's the extra membership discount that makes things a much better deal. And they're making an excuse that their "new business model" is so good that even the membership discount couldn't do it, so they remove the membership system? Makes no sense whatsoever. I guess their claim of removing the "middleman" is good in that we would have saved (hypothetically) more than the extra membership discount could ever bring. But keep in mind, overtime their full MSRP becomes normalized and unless their quality is so superior for its respective price, everyone will see right through their gimmick of removing the membership system.

Edit: Their clothing actually looks good IMO. However they should really change the long "Live Out There" brand logo. It is way too long and looks tacky.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2011
1343 posts
454 upvotes
Calgary
I commend Jamie Clarke (CEO) for going about and creating his own clothing company though. It takes balls and time to commit to flying to China to get things done and risking it all financially. I just hope they change their logo.

They even supposedly show us the approximate cost of the product, but IMO, this figure is otherwise the wholesale price and not what the actual product cost to make.

Deal Addict
May 17, 2011
1343 posts
454 upvotes
Calgary
This "removing the middleman" is a gimmick. Eventually the product prices will start rising and this concept will be thrown out the door. Companies time and time again have claimed they've removed the middleman to save us consumers some cost. Bullshit. This company is just another outdoor clothing company, a dime a dozen out there. There are tons of other no name down jackets that more or less perform the same, have very similar quality and possibly even lower retail price, so on.
Mar 19, 2016
123 posts
243 upvotes
a product of China with poor quality and the ugliest logo out there, yet expecting 100% margin Confused Face - I call this rip off instead of transparency

They will need to pay me to wear it
Last edited by cisconinja on Nov 14th, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 19, 2016
123 posts
243 upvotes
Our new site is finally here. We hope you’re as excited as we are.Our new business model makes it possible for us to offer gear at the best prices in the outdoor industry, in a way no discount membership ever could. And so we have discontinued it. As a token of our appreciation and because you were part of our original membership program we want to offer you a $20 coupon code: LIFETIME20"

JUST FYI - if you had used paypal to pay for their membership within the last 6 months, you could open a claim and get your money back
Not sure if the same applies to credit cards.
rip off, in my opinion, lifetime membership means as long as they're in business they should honor it!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6784 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
So are they trying to hit and target arcteryx? Some of their stuff looks like uniqlo but pricier.

Disappointed as I was one of their regular customers.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2002
2724 posts
668 upvotes
Vancouver
I wouldn't buy their new crap even with a 25% membership discount!

Ron.