Off Topic Archive

Locked: is living in a basement bad for your health?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 30th, 2011 4:07 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 17, 2004
18 posts

is living in a basement bad for your health?

what are your opinions on this?

i lived in one for almost 6 years without any issues - but it seems my colleague is concerned about this.
Share:
26 replies
Jul 26, 2007
204 posts
54 upvotes
I think as long as it has a window it'd be fine. I've seen some basement without windows, I wouldn't recommend living there.

Besides that, I think the basement is just a little colder (feels nicer in summer if you don't have AC though), and some time more humid than upper floors.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
2453 posts
38 upvotes
Vitamin D bro. lack of sunlight links to depression and other things.
Protip : You save more money when you're not on RFD! :lol:
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
3320 posts
349 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe, but being poor due to overspending on housing is also bad for your health, leads to depression, etc. If living in a basement makes sense to you, then live in a basement... personally I'd be fine doing that again because I can't stand bright sunlight and keep the blinds closed most of the time I'm at home anyway. I think the greater health risks to do with living in a basement is that the landlord knows that's where the cheap students live and maintain the basement with that in mind (i.e, not). And likewise if you share it with others, they are likely to spend less time keeping it clean and in good order.
Banned
Feb 15, 2008
26318 posts
3157 upvotes
Calgary
Radioactive Radon gas (a byproduct of radioactive decay of uranium) can have negative health consequences.
According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, radon is the second most frequent cause of lung cancer, after cigarette smoking, causing 21,000 lung cancer deaths per year in the United States.[3]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon

Tends to occur in basements most frequently.
TodayHello wrote:
Oct 16th, 2012 9:06 pm
...The Banks are smarter than you - they have floors full of people whose job it is to read Mark77 posts...
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2005
14195 posts
959 upvotes
Thornhill
+1 on the radon.

Also, I would assume a basement is more humid, so consider getting a dehumidifier for the summer... Might need to look out for moulds etc...?

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
Conquistador wrote:
Jul 1st, 2016 1:07 pm
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you. :facepalm:
RFD discounts for Schluter products/
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10047 posts
104 upvotes
Risks I can think of:

- spiders crawling in your mouth while you sleep (spiders like the basement)
- more humid, but cooler in the summer
- possibility of mould from the humidity
- lack of light (even with windows, which tend to be small in basements)
Aug 1, 2010
498 posts
2 upvotes
GTA Area
Just look at how most rfd'ers turned out to be .............
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1039 posts
128 upvotes
I lived in a basement apt. for 2 years. It was one of the beter renting experiences i ever had. Provided the apt. is not moldy you would be fine.
Alex
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
1490 posts
19 upvotes
Mark77 wrote:
Apr 17th, 2011 7:23 pm
Radioactive Radon gas (a byproduct of radioactive decay of uranium) can have negative health consequences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radon

Tends to occur in basements most frequently.

And the Canadian government hasn't done any surveying to find out which locations are at most risk.
:?:
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1133 posts
48 upvotes
Markham
i noticed i got sick a lot while living in basement apartment a few years ago. its damp, colder, and the air is just somehow different. never rented a basement apartment again.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
109 upvotes
Yu_Qing wrote:
Apr 18th, 2011 2:37 am
i noticed i got sick a lot while living in basement apartment a few years ago. its damp, colder, and the air is just somehow different. never rented a basement apartment again.

+1!!!

I am living in a basement for 2 years in a row now...I am finally moving out just because I can't stand the environment anymore. It's so much colder! In the winter, I always have my heater on 24/7 and in the summer it's always so humid so I need my dehumidifier. Never again will I live in a basement. And like above poster said, I got sick more often and just overall no energy and always weak all the time. :(
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10047 posts
104 upvotes
biee wrote:
Apr 18th, 2011 3:53 am
I got sick more often and just overall no energy and always weak all the time. :(
Maybe it's from lack of light. It's a bit like living in a burqa if you live in the basement all the time.

If you try to grow seeds in the basement, they will stretch out, go skinny, get pale, and eventually collapse.
May 6, 2007
674 posts
38 upvotes
Depends on the apartment - if it is finished correctly then there is no issue. Dehumidifier is necessary in summer, landlord should provide this.
× < >