Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
May 31, 2011
25 posts
Canada

Living in Ottawa VS Toronto?

Anyone have any info they are willing to share for the differences ?

thanks in advance.
Share:
36 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7139 posts
1684 upvotes
Reported for lowcontent/spam.
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7487 posts
329 upvotes
Canada
Ottawa is a lot friendlier, but food isn't as good.
A better city to get active in though.

Overall, I like it. It's a nice place to raise a family, but Toronto is much better for the party seeking bachelor
He died for me, I live for him
youtube videos are not allowed in signatures (links or embeds)
Aug 1, 2010
498 posts
2 upvotes
GTA Area
Ottawa is dead after sunset :p
Deal Guru
Mar 2, 2009
14142 posts
584 upvotes
IBTTrollLowContentLock
Deal Addict
May 15, 2010
2001 posts
112 upvotes
North York
45ED wrote:
Jun 15th, 2011 9:48 pm
IBTTrollLowContentLock
:facepalm:
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
12877 posts
574 upvotes
shannn wrote:
Jun 15th, 2011 9:33 pm
Ottawa is a lot friendlier, but food isn't as good.
A better city to get active in though.

Overall, I like it. It's a nice place to raise a family, but Toronto is much better for the party seeking bachelor

Countless neighbourhoods in Toronto are just as friendly as anywhere in Ottawa.

Wouldn't move to Ottawa.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7487 posts
329 upvotes
Canada
nalababe wrote:
Jun 15th, 2011 10:20 pm

Wouldn't move to Ottawa.

That's the point. Ottawa is just friendly in general all around.

Even the public housing in Ottawa is friendlier than the public housing in Toronto (I live near public housing in both Toronto and Ottawa).

The thread wasn't about people moving from Toronto to Ottawa, just asking for comparisons.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7591 posts
389 upvotes
Grew up in Toronto. Living jn Ottawa for a decade.

Toronto: cultural diversity, availability of everything, cheaper food and services.

Ottawa: small town feel/lifestyle, less issues to deal with (theft, beige corollas, etc),

Depending where you are in life and your interests and goals make one city better than the other.

Right now I'm loving it in Ottawa.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
2450 posts
212 upvotes
Vancouver
Moved from Vancouver to Ottawa and only been to Toronto a handful of times to visit. It's great to visit to get my fix of good asian food but I can't live there. The traffic and the drive between places get to me and I much prefer Ottawa. Vancouver's not too big a city and Ottawa is somewhat similar. It's def not home though...
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2011
1281 posts
89 upvotes
Nowhere
The only problem with Ottawa is that it is dead at 6pm. The streets are literally dead. No cars, nothing. We have a very tiny downtown core for the most part. Anything bustling occurs in the Byward Market or on Elgin street. Ottawa is a large city (a population almost of 1 million people) but feels like a small city because the population is so spread out. I find Ottawa is extremely white washed. Coming from the GTA I feel a pang of hometown when I ever so rarely see someone with a turban. I miss the cultural diversity of Toronto/GTA. Another negative, lots of bad Quebec drivers.

Toronto: I love both cities. Toronto is a great large city with a superior downtown core. Driving in Toronto sucks balls compared to here, unless you live in Barrhaven or in Kanata/Stittsville.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2006
7487 posts
329 upvotes
Canada
Ottawa = cheap beer from Gatineau
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7591 posts
389 upvotes
dibksbgon wrote:
Jun 16th, 2011 6:16 am
The only problem with Ottawa is that it is dead at 6pm.

That's a matter ofperspective. Most of the time I love that the city dies down at 6. Less traffic on the roads. Less traffic at stores. I can go out and do what I want with ease. Or just join the rest and chill at home and do some yardwork/BBQ. But it can be frustrating at times trying to find food at...*gasp* 10pm.

But +1 on the cultural diversity. I have noticed it is indeed very white washed here in Ottawa and people are less culturally sensitive. Jokes considered inappropriate in Toronto are considered OK here.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
7591 posts
389 upvotes
shannn wrote:
Jun 16th, 2011 7:21 am
Ottawa = cheap beer from Gatineau

That is true. The Ottawa/Gatineau situation makes things quite interesting. Being able to access QC deals (early Walmart sales), alcohol at Costco, etc.

Although I guess flip side is that you really need to be bilingual.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
194 upvotes
nalababe wrote:
Jun 15th, 2011 10:20 pm

Wouldn't move to Ottawa.
+1
Stock R wrote:
Jun 15th, 2011 11:12 pm
Grew up in Toronto. Living jn Ottawa for a decade.

Toronto: cultural diversity, availability of everything, cheaper food and services.

Ottawa: small town feel/lifestyle, less issues to deal with (theft, beige corollas, etc),

Depending where you are in life and your interests and goals make one city better than the other.

Right now I'm loving it in Ottawa.
Your points about Toronto are true, but the points about Ottawa are BS. Ottawa has plenty of ****** drivers, and more property crime than Toronto.
Ottawa is surprisingly good with availability of stuff, it seems every time I go back they have more and more available. I hear they are even getting a whole foods at some point. Toronto only has one! :razz:
dibksbgon wrote:
Jun 16th, 2011 6:16 am
The only problem with Ottawa is that it is dead at 6pm. The streets are literally dead. No cars, nothing. We have a very tiny downtown core for the most part. Anything bustling occurs in the Byward Market or on Elgin street. Ottawa is a large city (a population almost of 1 million people) but feels like a small city because the population is so spread out. I find Ottawa is extremely white washed. Coming from the GTA I feel a pang of hometown when I ever so rarely see someone with a turban. I miss the cultural diversity of Toronto/GTA. Another negative, lots of bad Quebec drivers.

Toronto: I love both cities. Toronto is a great large city with a superior downtown core. Driving in Toronto sucks balls compared to here, unless you live in Barrhaven or in Kanata/Stittsville.
You rarely see anyone with a turban? I suppose you never use OC Transpo then.....
I find Ottawa traffic to be weird. Almost all the volume is gone in the summer with so many government workers taking time off. However I also find that Ottawa drivers are in no hurry to go anywhere, at any time. Most will take their time and poke along and the rest will become enraged. I've witnessed some pretty nasty road rage incidents in Ottawa.
Stock R wrote:
Jun 16th, 2011 10:35 am
That is true. The Ottawa/Gatineau situation makes things quite interesting. Being able to access QC deals (early Walmart sales), alcohol at Costco, etc.

Although I guess flip side is that you really need to be bilingual.

Bilingual to shop in Gatineau? No way.
× < >