• Jul 19th, 2018 7:54 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16034 posts
1328 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…

Living in the past in the current time frame

Not like that Mel Gibson movie where he wakes up decades later but more like Al Bundy who tries to relive his glory years. I would be interested to hear opinions on this from others, are people like Al Bundy merely just reliving their youth every chance they get but they are still firmly rooted in the present and self aware of their actions.

The truth is I myself indulge in a lot of fantasy in a way that I refuse to acknowledge my age at least to myself and in my mind I'm still in the 80s when I had my fondest memories as a person. That isn't to say when I meet people I tell them I'm 8 years old but only that I am blocking out the stress of being an adult and having to work for a living, worry about consequences of later life and where I'm going to get enough money for retirement. Mind you I'm not in this perpetual state of denial but I choose to insulate myself from it more times than I care to admit. What I do is put on 80s music and just forget about the world beyond the here and now.

I'm not going to bother asking if this is normal, at this point I have acknowledged it doesn't fit the mould of what is conventional standards of normal but at the same time it isn't hurting anyone. I didn't wake up one morning and convinced myself I'm no longer a 50!something man with a wife and kid but an 8 year old girl. I still lead a productive life l, go to work, pay my taxes, ect. But when it's me time I really relish it and enjoy being in this self induced delirium.

Btw I'm not a 50!something man with a kid. I was referencing that man who made the news and decided he was a little girl and abandoned his family.
27 replies
Deal Addict
May 22, 2016
1223 posts
229 upvotes
Ontario
Huh? Must be having a good Friday night
Jan 15, 2017
194 posts
43 upvotes
Vancouver
like nostalgic, but not quite insane?

that post though makes me question your sanity ;)
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
38540 posts
3219 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
We all have our nostalgic moments.

My most epic moments were high school and my 20's. Things got less epic in my 30's. But I think that's because everyone stopped hanging out as much... but once in a while we'll have an epic night! YOU know... night on the town, eat pizza pizza, smokin a cig when you don't even smoke cigs, but only because your drunk and having lots of lolz.
It reminds me of "How I met Your Mother" ... but only seasons 1-4 which were the funnest.

But yah... for me its listen to early 2000's hiphop and R&B.

It always reminds me of that song they always play @ the clubs fat man scoop and crooklyn clan

|Yeah, yeah, yeah
Bass drop!
Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!
You got a hundred dollar bill, get your hands up!
You got a fifty dollar bill, get your hands up!
You got a twenty dollar bill, get your hands up!
You got a ten dollar bill, get your hands up!
Single ladies! I can't hear ya!
Single ladies! Make noise!
Single ladies! I can't hear ya!
Single ladies! Make noise!
All the chickenheads, be quiet!
Yeah ladies, Fatman Scoop, Faith Evans sing along! Come on!

But now I'm starting to embrace my old man moments. Last weekend I just BBQ and had a beer... by lonesome self... and it was GLORIOUS!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
8464 posts
1828 upvotes
Trump University
It's ok if it's for fun but if it's a pitiful existence when you're living in the past then I don't think it's so good. Like if you're clinging :D

Cause u gotta think everyone has 1 thing in common no matter their age, if they're a billionaire or are broke, and that is that everyone's future must be bigger then their past no matter if they were a success or a failure. Nothing in the past really matters anymore no matter what you did or didn't do, what happened or didn't happen cause its all dead, and if its all dead then....?

Bundy's existence was pretty pitiful right? :D

😎
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16034 posts
1328 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…
Corleone187 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 6:43 am
It's ok if it's for fun but if it's a pitiful existence when you're living in the past then I don't think it's so good. Like if you're clinging :D

Cause u gotta think everyone has 1 thing in common no matter their age, if they're a billionaire or are broke, and that is that everyone's future must be bigger then their past no matter if they were a success or a failure. Nothing in the past really matters anymore no matter what you did or didn't do, what happened or didn't happen cause its all dead, and if its all dead then....?

I was actually going to post that video for reference. Although I think he and that other lady who is living in period, in generally they're just acting. My existence is more cerebral. Think Vanilla Sky where Tom Cruises character doesn't realize he's in a coma or virtual life. Still good looking and playboy but he's disfigured in real life and is a vegetable but therein lies the rub; if he's happy in his mind, who cares if he's in a vegetative state? I want the blue pill!
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
18331 posts
6496 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Corleone187 wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 6:43 am

lol @ his water closet

I kind of feel where this man’s coming from. Ever since I started my perfume hobby I’ve been trying to recreate the golden age of perfumery, sometime around 1890-1895 Paris.
deleted to keep the site family friendly. Was about copping sick fadez.
Well there's no sick fadez left to be copped now that the regimen cannot be admired in all its glory
RIP sick fadez.
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
3536 posts
807 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 9:43 am
I was actually going to post that video for reference. Although I think he and that other lady who is living in period, in generally they're just acting. My existence is more cerebral. Think Vanilla Sky where Tom Cruises character doesn't realize he's in a coma or virtual life. Still good looking and playboy but he's disfigured in real life and is a vegetable but therein lies the rub; if he's happy in his mind, who cares if he's in a vegetative state? I want the blue pill!
I guess VR will help with those that want to escape to a different time.

Give Ready Player One a watch.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7528 posts
960 upvotes
Toronto
The ego can take you on some of the wildest rides.
One thing it's very good at is helping you waste time pondering pasts and future when all that exists is the present, and so, keep you from living in the present.
Many people may be so afraid of the present that they look to the past for happiness.
Others may blame the past or something profound from the past for their present situation, and so be preoccupied with that as well.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5171 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto
Last weekend before going out, I drank a beer as I was in the shower. Its been quite a few years since I had a shower beer.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
10458 posts
209 upvotes
I think a lot of people spend time chasing an elusive goal of feeling like they did when they could focus on exactly what they wanted to do without having any responsibilities.

That's why the majority of people consider the time when they were about 12 years old to be pretty much the best period of history :)

Interesting short media on the subject:

[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16034 posts
1328 upvotes
TOP SECRET SPAGHETTI…
gh05t wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 12:41 pm
The ego can take you on some of the wildest rides.
One thing it's very good at is helping you waste time pondering pasts and future when all that exists is the present, and so, keep you from living in the present.
Many people may be so afraid of the present that they look to the past for happiness.
Others may blame the past or something profound from the past for their present situation, and so be preoccupied with that as well.
Very well put. Ego also prevents us from accepting that our perception can be anything but the absolute right thing for us even if it flies against conventions when we start to make up excuses for why it's good for us, like drug addicts or any kind of addicts in general.

I have to admit before reading some of the responses I was in a state of obstinance but I'm seeing another perspective I didn't consider.
mbg wrote:
Jul 14th, 2018 3:04 pm
I think a lot of people spend time chasing an elusive goal of feeling like they did when they could focus on exactly what they wanted to do without having any responsibilities.

That's why the majority of people consider the time when they were about 12 years old to be pretty much the best period of history :)

Interesting short media on the subject:

Looks good; I'll give a watch.

A quote from George Carlin is “Never let the brain idle. ‘An idle mind is the devil’s workshop.’ And the devil’s name is Alzheimer’s. ”
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
18849 posts
2067 upvotes
Montreal
I will relive the late 90s by throttling my internet to 28.8k. furthermore I will pull the cable everytime someone picks up a phone in the house.

Gopher here i come...
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11672 posts
1665 upvotes
City of Vancouver
The video of that 35 yr old Brit living like it's 1946 is nostalgia once removed because he wasn't alive during that time. So, he'll never truly know how accurate his impressions are of that period (probably seen thru rose-coloured glasses). He can pick all the good stuff and ignore the bad stuff like post-war rationing, racism, etc. On a side note, he'd be the perfect target market for a "Westworld UK", lol.

For me, the past isn't that different a place to escape to as I look almost the same (15 lbs difference between 1984 and 2018). There are radio stations that play the retro tunes, but they play the same hits , and you get sick of hearing them (or seeing the same videos) just like you did back in the day. It is almost like their audience has dementia, because who wants to hear the same old stuff over and over? So, I guess there is your digital music collection, but doesn't that get exhausted too?
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11672 posts
1665 upvotes
City of Vancouver
I think a lot of young people these days escape their real lives by playing video games.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)