• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2014 12:22 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2007
1629 posts
76 upvotes
How big are the Kirkland jars? What's the opinion surrounding those small specialty brands that truly claim natural? Or substitute for almond butter?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3538 upvotes
Burnaby
I searched on the Internet and it seems the the Kirkland pb jars come in 2-packs: 2x40oz all natural (Valencia peanuts) and 2x23oz all natural organic (Valencia peanuts).

BTW, I skim most of the clear pb oil and save it for salad dressings and stir-fry veggies. There still remains enough pb oil in suspension in the pb jar to keep the pb running, it's just a matter of stirring the pb well with a slender blunt tip table knife and store it in the fridge afterwards. I sometimes use the bottom layer (if any) as a snack: with coconut shavings (unsweetened) and whey protein isolate/mix.

Regarding the cottonseed oil, everybody knows it's unhealthy for your heart and arteries.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9333 posts
5628 upvotes
Kraft PB has 1g of sugar per serving, equivalent to 1/4t and 4 calories. It has 60mg of salt, equivalent to ~1/40t. It also has 8g fat, 1.5 saturated. There are 3t in 1T.

The all natural/nothing added has 7g fat and 1g saturated AND 1g sugar. Unless you're eating this every day in copious amounts, I don't see what the big deal is.

Natural PB tastes lame.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2009
2689 posts
112 upvotes
Sorry not trying to derail your thread, but has anyone tried the soy peanut butters?? Are those 'healthy' at all? lol I see them everywhere...
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
aviador wrote: [...]

Of course I read the nutrition and ingredient labels. But, they do not show the true story. They hint what flavor to expect but not the actual flavor [e.g., most, if not all, commercial wheat bread have the same ingredients, but they do taste very different depending on their proportions in the recipe, same for their texture, etc. Can you forecast a bread's flavor just by reading its ingredient label? of course, no.] Salt, sugar, cottonseed oil, etc. are not bad per se. They are bad for taste or health depending on quantity. Same for cottonseed oil (a source of saturated fat and the source of the shortening aftertaste. Meaning, it's got a substantial amount of it on the pb spread recipe.)
That's a new one: cottonseed oil isn't bad per se.
duckdown wrote: Peanut butter really needs at least a bit of salt and sugar to bring out the flavor.. It is extremely bland without it IMO.
I don't eat PB any longer, but I used to think the same thing. Eating natty PB for a while then trying the regular stuff again comes as a shock. But that's like most foods I would suspect.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
2891 posts
259 upvotes
biee wrote: Sorry not trying to derail your thread, but has anyone tried the soy peanut butters?? Are those 'healthy' at all? lol I see them everywhere...
No, they are not.
The best way to become ordinary is to follow the advice of ordinary people.
Unless you've actually tried something, your comments are virtually meaningless.
Condemnation before investigation is the highest form of ignorance

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)