Shopping Discussion

Loblaw admits to bread price-fixing for more than 14 years - Offering $25 gift card as compensation (now live)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2018 11:43 pm
Jan 23, 2018
43 posts
70 upvotes
Cool, loblaws is requesting for ID. Plus I still haven't gotten my gift cards yet.

Won't continuously screwing over the public make people more inclined to go the legal route, or even push your customers faster into the direction of Walmart & Amazon? Does anyone have the contact information of the law firms with active class actions?

I've been shorting L.TO for a good year now (For some decent gains). I would love to do whatever I can to spread the fire.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5314 posts
2950 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
neverhaveiever wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 10:49 am
If you don't see the point, why even respond?

But yes, my point is the form starts at the very beginning by saying no document is needed. That is a shady tactic
To be clear...

I am not in favour of the way that Loblaws is currently going about this in regards to WHAT ID they are requesting from only SOME individuals (Drivers License / Utility Bills) ...

As my argument being that a good lot of folks they are requesting from already being members of their own PC Optimum Program, and that they could EASILY CROSS CHECK INFORMATION ... afterall they already have our Names, Addresses, Email, Phone Numbers & DOB

My issue is they are requesting that we send in documentation... and that it clearly makes it more complicated for those in society who don’t fit into the cookie cutter home ownership / head of household category... so Women, Older Canadians, Students, Poorer People, Disabled etc. In that regard I find this whole request distasteful and discriminatory

BUT... to get back to YOUR STATEMENTS

I am sorry... but you are incorrect

The Registration Form May State up front
2. You do not need to submit ANY documentation with this registration form.

But it also has a SECTION D - VERIFICATION

Please check all boxes that apply to you.

I understand, confirm and agree that:

___ The Program Administrator may contact me as the Program Administrator deems appropriate for more information about my registration form, including requesting appropriate forms of ID;

___ I have provided my legal name, current residential address and correct date of birth in Section C above; and

___ I have purchased one of the packaged bread products from one of the eligible banner stores (as described in Section B above) in the period between January 1, 2002 and March 1, 2015.
So you agreed, not to provide ID now... but possibly in the future

Like I said... I am ok with that. But, I still think WHAT ID THEY ARE REQUESTING... is the part that is problematic
Dec 23, 2006
426 posts
99 upvotes
No one in my family has received any gc so far and we all registered on day 1. So far my mom get "carded". No way Loblaws is getting their hands on our info, if they give it fine, if not I will get the $25 thru the class action suit and I will make sure none of that money will be spent at loblaws.
Fido $40 5GB small + $15 3GB tablet data
PM $20 province wide talk
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4840 posts
1317 upvotes
Halifax
PointsHubby wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 11:53 am
To be clear...

I am not in favour of the way that Loblaws is currently going about this in regards to WHAT ID they are requesting from only SOME individuals (Drivers License / Utility Bills) ...

As my argument being that a good lot of folks they are requesting from already being members of their own PC Optimum Program, and that they could EASILY CROSS CHECK INFORMATION ... afterall they already have our Names, Addresses, Email, Phone Numbers & DOB

My issue is they are requesting that we send in documentation... and that it clearly makes it more complicated for those in society who don’t fit into the cookie cutter home ownership / head of household category... so Women, Older Canadians, Students, Poorer People, Disabled etc. In that regard I find this whole request distasteful and discriminatory

BUT... to get back to YOUR STATEMENTS

I am sorry... but you are incorrect

The Registration Form May State up front
2. You do not need to submit ANY documentation with this registration form.

But it also has a SECTION D - VERIFICATION

So you agreed, not to provide ID now... but possibly in the future

Like I said... I am ok with that. But, I still think WHAT ID THEY ARE REQUESTING... is the part that is problematic
"including requesting appropriate forms of ID; " is vague. Appropriate ID has been submitted. I signed a legal form. They could ask for a blood sample if they wanted.

I am not complying. Nothing states I have to send it in.

But yeah, how they are going about it is trash.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
5314 posts
2950 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
neverhaveiever wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 12:12 pm
"including requesting appropriate forms of ID; " is vague. Appropriate ID has been submitted. I signed a legal form. They could ask for a blood sample if they wanted.

I am not complying. Nothing states I have to send it in.

But yeah, how they are going about it is trash.
Personally... I think people should print off their PCO ACCOUNT MEMBER PAGE and send that in

Afterall it clearly lists ones NAME & ADDRESS and EMAIL & PHONE... the stuff they claim they are looking to verify
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4840 posts
1317 upvotes
Halifax
PointsHubby wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 12:22 pm
Personally... I think people should print off their PCO ACCOUNT MEMBER PAGE and send that in

Afterall it clearly lists ones NAME & ADDRESS and EMAIL & PHONE... the stuff they claim they are looking to verify
Yeah, I wonder if anyone has tried that ?? I would imagine it would suffice.

I have heard people sending in their ID with everything but name and address blanked out.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16287 posts
1393 upvotes
Space for rent
What happens when they get charged? Pay a fine and move on?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13224 posts
5637 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
PointsHubby wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 12:22 pm

It's one page on the desktop app but it's two screenshots on (at least) the Android app. A bit of a hassle for millennials ;)

But that's not the worst issue. The app version brings up the name and address screens as editable forms. You can overwrite whatever is there with whatever you like, screen print it for Loblaw, then cancel the update. Even with the desktop app you could change at least the address, print off the changed (but fraudulent) version, then change it back. That design makes this procedure wide open to fraud.

(Granted I can accomplish the same thing with software, but at least that takes some skill ;) What I described, anyone can do.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13224 posts
5637 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 12:35 pm
What happens when they get charged? Pay a fine and move on?
Loblaw, yes. They've gotten immunity to criminal charges by offering up the $25 GC. That's supposed to cost them $100M alone, not to mention eventual class-action awards that could be much higher. And of course they lose in the court of public opinion. The lose even more as a result of the current fiasco over proof of ID. We can debate if this is adequate punishment, but so far it is what it is. Let's see what the Competition Bureau and the courts decide for Loblaw.

The other players could face criminal charges. That could result in jail time for executives. But so far all we have are allegations (by Loblaw) that "everyone did it" and an investigation by the Competition Bureau. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out for them. Anything else is just speculation.
veni, vidi, Visa
Apr 13, 2010
432 posts
173 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
bylo wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 2:39 pm
They've gotten immunity to criminal charges by offering up the $25 GC.
They have not gotten immunity. Only a court can decide that, and nothing has gone to court yet.

They are hoping that the money they pay now will be subtracted from any court judgement, but the court has final say about that, whenever that happens.
Last edited by cybersaga on Mar 12th, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
13224 posts
5637 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
cybersaga wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 3:00 pm
They have not gotten immunity. Only a court can decide that, and nothing has gone to court yet.
Nope. The Competition Bureau, along with the Crown prosecutor, decide whether or not to lay charges and if so, what charges to lay.

See also Loblaw gets immunity after alerting watchdog to decade-long bread price-fixing scheme | Financial Post
George Weston Ltd. revealed Tuesday the bakery owner and grocer Loblaw Companies Ltd. alerted the Competition Bureau after discovering a more than decade-long bread price-fixing arrangement and will receive immunity from criminal charges.

The companies said in a joint statement Tuesday that they became aware of an arrangement involving the co-ordination of retail and wholesale prices of some packaged breads from late 2001 to March 2015. As a result of their admission to the competition watchdog, neither company will face criminal charges or penalties, they said.
I assume Loblaw and Weston have that commitment in writing ;)

Of course none of this precludes civil actions either by the Competition Bureau and/or class actions. The latter have already been launched.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
1844 posts
538 upvotes
Beautiful B.C.
neverhaveiever wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 10:49 am
If you don't see the point, why even respond?
But yes, my point is the form starts at the very beginning by saying no document is needed. That is a shady tactic
I 100% agree that it's shady. I still assert that it's meant to deter a percentage of people from getting the card, as many of the random people they've targeted (including some here) will not send the ID. So Loblaw is off the hook with those people after 30 days. Out of curiosity, I do think I might try a screen capture of the registration page as ID and see if that's accepted...
"So let it be e-mailed - so let it be done!"
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
45215 posts
11717 upvotes
Didn't know we had 30 days to respond and provide a hydro bill.
Apr 13, 2010
432 posts
173 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
I stand corrected.

This article explains a little better why they get immunity: https://www.thestar.com/business/2018/0 ... andal.html

Edit: They may get immunity from the Competition Bureau, but not from the courts. They're still named in the class-action: https://www.strosbergco.com/class-actions/bread/
Last edited by cybersaga on Mar 12th, 2018 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
16287 posts
1393 upvotes
Space for rent
bylo wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 2:39 pm
Loblaw, yes. They've gotten immunity to criminal charges by offering up the $25 GC. That's supposed to cost them $100M alone, not to mention eventual class-action awards that could be much higher. And of course they lose in the court of public opinion. The lose even more as a result of the current fiasco over proof of ID. We can debate if this is adequate punishment, but so far it is what it is. Let's see what the Competition Bureau and the courts decide for Loblaw.

The other players could face criminal charges. That could result in jail time for executives. But so far all we have are allegations (by Loblaw) that "everyone did it" and an investigation by the Competition Bureau. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out for them. Anything else is just speculation.
You know what bugs me is say George Weston gave the word to fix it he will just say it was someone else and they take the fall. Pay the family for their troubles and gets to make his squash game by 4pm.