Shopping Discussion

Loblaw admits to bread price-fixing for more than 14 years - Offering $25 gift card as compensation (now live)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 22nd, 2018 10:19 am
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12666 posts
5023 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Supercooled wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 3:27 pm
You know what bugs me is say George Weston gave the word to fix it he will just say it was someone else and they take the fall.
That's a fundamental problem with these sorts of acts. Unless the Crown has "smoking gun" evidence such as an e-mail or phone recording, it's very hard to prove guilt "beyond reasonable doubt." People like Weston aren't idiots so they don't discuss this sort of stuff by e-mail or over the phone.

That's also why setting up a whistle-blower's hotline with monetary rewards for information that leads to successful prosecution can be more effective.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2013
4554 posts
1129 upvotes
Halifax
TheHans wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 3:21 pm
I 100% agree that it's shady. I still assert that it's meant to deter a percentage of people from getting the card, as many of the random people they've targeted (including some here) will not send the ID. So Loblaw is off the hook with those people after 30 days. Out of curiosity, I do think I might try a screen capture of the registration page as ID and see if that's accepted...
do let us know how it goes
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1041 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
Has anyone tried to submit a President's Choice Financial Mastercard statement as proof of Id?
Jan 7, 2016
11 posts
Calgary, AB
I have no option to upload a bill when I follow the link - where is everyone seeing this?
May 14, 2010
934 posts
69 upvotes
Halifax
xlittoninjax wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 7:20 pm
I have no option to upload a bill when I follow the link - where is everyone seeing this?
i have the same problem. I clicked on the link in the email to their "secure portal" and after logging in I get to a status page that tells me "Your registration has been received by the Program Administrator." but no option to upload anything.

I will wait a few days to see if it changes. got the request email tonight.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2013
1150 posts
341 upvotes
Quebec
Getting carted too and I’m a day 1registered
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12666 posts
5023 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
xlittoninjax wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 7:20 pm
Did you get an e-mail that asks you to provide documentation? If not then all you can do is wait.

If you did then there should be a link inside. If not go to https://www.loblawcard.ca/en/status, login and follow the instructions.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 13, 2008
191 posts
42 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
bylo wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 8:14 am
The big grocery store chains and bakeries are under investigation for price fixing. AFAIK none have been charged yet. The investigation continues. More grocery chains and bakeries could get charged and convicted. Stay tuned...

Save-on-Foods isn't under investigation. They did this purely as a PR stunt, perhaps also to underscore how ridiculously low Loblaw's GC $25 offer is.

Loblaw admitted to price fixing in exchange for immunity to criminal charges. The $25 is considered only partial compensation while the class actions work their way through the legal system. It could take years before we see the class action money.

Loblaw's spin is that the $25 GC program is intended to get some cash to customers in advance of the class actions, not to replace them. It's also supposed to reflect some of their contrition. Even if their spin is genuine, it's hard to imagine how they could have botched this program more than they already have.

The investigation continues. Charges--possibly criminal charges--may well get laid. And depending on the outcome of this scandal, legislation may get enacted in order to discourage a repetition of this sort of crime.

Often in the US, and sometimes also in Canada, opposition politicians like to ask questionsblow hot air so as to try to embarrass the government. Don't confuse that with actions. That happens much more rarely.
Thank you bylo for the very detailed reply. I received some money from the DRAM and the CitiGroup suit. The DRAM suit was for everyone as you may know. The CitiGoup issue was a regular class action suit.

BTW any idea when we will receive compensation from Nortel and BreX? Never?
I suffer from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, General Anxiety Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Learned Helplessness, Persistent Depressive Disorder.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12666 posts
5023 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
cocotheparrot wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 4:49 am
BTW any idea when we will receive compensation from Nortel and BreX? Never?
Unfortunately, unlike Loblaw and the rest, Nortel and BreX are bankrupt companies. Even if law suits against them succeed there's no money or other assets to pay.

(I don't follow the case closely but, as I understand it, there are still actions against Nortel with respect to their employee pension plan. Nortel at least had some assets so maybe the pensioners will be able to get some of that. But it probably won't be much. With BreX the chance of seeing any money is now even less than the chance of finding "gold in them thar Busang hills.")
veni, vidi, Visa
Aug 31, 2006
473 posts
71 upvotes
Is it safe/secure to send a scan of my drivers license for this deal?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1041 posts
216 upvotes
Toronto
rsauve wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:50 am
Definitely not.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
1606 posts
466 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I submitted back in January but haven't gotten the card yet....
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
3545 posts
3564 upvotes
Loblaws has no legal obligation to ask for this kind of ID. In that case, if problem/fraud arises, Loblaws has no responsibility to fix the problem for you as you are voluntarily giving the ID information to Loblaws. It is not the same situation when you provide ID to bank or telecommunication as they are obligated to collect the ID to serve different purpose and is granted by government. In case of the problem, they will provide some sort of plan for the problem.
rsauve wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:50 am
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
3545 posts
3564 upvotes
I have friends are in the same boat as you. No email, No card and registered on the first day. Does Loblaws knows what is meaning of fair system with "First come First serve". ? I really doubt it.
stovetop wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 12:39 pm
I submitted back in January but haven't gotten the card yet....