Shopping Discussion

Loblaw admits to bread price-fixing for more than 14 years - Offering $25 gift card as compensation (now live)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2018 2:06 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1151 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:02 pm
then would utility bills be our best bet?
I would still still mask any private info other than name and address.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46793 posts
12764 upvotes
Anyone started considering taking most of grocery business elsewhere? It seems this campaign has backfired because of the additional scrutiny the program is now asking us to comply with.

Who really hasn't bought bread from the Loblaws chain in his/her lifetime or in the past decade? I can understand people in far flung rural places but any adult within 50 km of mid to major cities would have the right to this offer without any doubt.

It's not like it is asking us to upload proof of purchase so not sure how this additional check is benefiting Loblaws besides more admin work for its staff.

Edit:
Actually, to anyone who has a SDM, PC Plus points card, Loblaws could have easily traced the purchases in their system with all that data mining. Not sure why didn't do it that way in the first place -- ask for our membership numbers instead.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1151 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:12 pm
Anyone started considering taking most of grocery business elsewhere? It seems this campaign has backfired because of the additional scrutiny the program is now asking us to comply with.
I would love to do it as well but it would not be easy to take your grocery business elsewhere as all the entities involved in the bread-price fixing scandal control 80-90% of the entire grocery market in Canada.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46793 posts
12764 upvotes
andrew4321 wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:23 pm
I would love to do it as well but it would not be easy to take your grocery business elsewhere as all the entities involved in the bread-price fixing scandal control 80-90% of the entire grocery market in Canada.
Is it only Sobey's (among the big players) that hasn't been caught/ hasn't admitted?

I'm just taking about the sour taste in our mouth having to work so much for $25, lol.
Jan 12, 2017
786 posts
522 upvotes
Maple Ridge
I don't pay hydro
Can I use phone bill or internet bill?
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14076 posts
6492 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
rsauve wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 11:50 am
Is it safe/secure to send a scan of my drivers license for this deal?
As others have said, generally no. But if that's all you have, i.e. no utility bill, and you want the $25 then at least obscure everything but your name and address.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14076 posts
6492 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
alanbrenton wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 1:12 pm
First, the nearest grocery store to me by far is a Loblaw banner store and an SDM. I can (and do) walk there regularly. Even though they're more expensive I value the convenience and exercise. Anything else would require a drive. So unfortunately that's not a practical option for me. YMMV.

Second, with all the scrutiny and negative attention about the privacy issues in the GC program I suspect we now have less to worry about than with other stores. Loblaw simply can't afford to get caught misusing the documents they want some of us to submit. If they did I'd certainly have to reconsider my previous commitment to them. And also if they did, the feds, i.e. Privacy Commissioner, would have little choice but to intervene. So even though I never really thought a copy of my utility statement would get misused, I'm even more confident of it now.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1087 posts
819 upvotes
Loblaw ran out of dough, so no more $25 card for all of you Face With Tears Of Joy
No matter how much you paid, a sale is never a sale if you didn't truly need it. Never confuse needs and wants ;)
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2008
1002 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
Is phone bill considered a utility bill? This is so annoying!
Zoomer for phone + Carrytel for internet + Tangerine bank account + Stack debit card + Great Canadian rebates, ebates, drop and paymi for rebates. Ask me about any of these.
Apr 10, 2011
420 posts
194 upvotes
Jonric wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 4:16 pm
Yes. We registered within a minute or two of each other and our cards arrived well over a week apart.
Weird... still nothing for my hubby yet, and I received mine almost 2 weeks ago. Hopefully it comes soon.
Nov 27, 2016
73 posts
16 upvotes
Received 5 cards yesterday for my family members living at two addresses in BC. I registered them over two days, but all on the same computer, and all legitimate. The scrutiny seems to be quite random.