Shopping Discussion

Loblaw admits to bread price-fixing for more than 14 years - Offering $25 gift card as compensation (now live)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 11th, 2018 2:06 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6743 posts
4245 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
heebjeeb wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 4:53 pm
Received 5 cards yesterday for my family members living at two addresses in BC. I registered them over two days, but all on the same computer, and all legitimate. The scrutiny seems to be quite random.
Good post, thanks for sharing your experience
And yes... part of the annoyance is
The scrutiny seems to be quite random ...

BUT AFFECTING A LARGE PORTION OF PEOPLE WHO ARE DISCOVERING ISSUES WITH THE ASKED FOR FORMS OF ID
Those who are not homeowners - the young - the aged - women ... disabled, disenfranchised, etc
NO ONE should be a TARGET in these situations to being LEFT OUT BECAUSE OF THEIR CIRCUMSTANCES
Apr 7, 2006
157 posts
54 upvotes
I've kind of given up on hoping to get mine. Wasn't asked to confirm ID or anything and I registered the first day it was available but I kind of doubt it's coming at this point.
Sep 21, 2015
28 posts
11 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
heebjeeb wrote:
Received 5 cards yesterday for my family members living at two addresses in BC. I registered them over two days, but all on the same computer, and all legitimate. The scrutiny seems to be quite random.
A form of Discrimination, People to need to get in touch with news agencies and report this garbage!
RFD Member since 2006 but had to make a new account because I forgot password and email changed
Nov 3, 2016
128 posts
99 upvotes
Teioh wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 6:49 pm
I've kind of given up on hoping to get mine. Wasn't asked to confirm ID or anything and I registered the first day it was available but I kind of doubt it's coming at this point.
I thought the same two days ago, and that evening I went to the registration site to check my status (it just said 'received by program administrator'). Yesterday I received an email telling me to send ID. I haven't called yet to tell them what I think, but they can go pound sand.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46834 posts
12790 upvotes
heebjeeb wrote:
Did you register them two days ago or did it take you two days to register? Or did you register two days after learning about the campaign?

I didn't know Canada Post delivered so quickly. :)

Anyway, sent the same utility bill with both our names and boxed out the account number and meter number just in case.
Nov 27, 2016
74 posts
16 upvotes
I registered two on 1/12 and 3 on 1/14. When seeing the news here about loblaws requiring further identity proof I fully expected to receive emails as well, considering, which I likely would not have followed up on due to having to use the license method.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
7 posts
I'm not suprise that they are caught price fixing, after being named as one of the Canadian companies evading taxes by using tax haven abroad. Shame on them, corporate greed exposed
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14104 posts
6523 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Privacy commissioner asks Loblaws why it's demanding customers send ID for $25 gift card
The Office of the Privacy Commissioner said it couldn't address specifics about Loblaws' ID request at this time, but did provide a link to a page on its website concerning retailers collecting driver's licence information. [Collection of Driver’s Licence Numbers Under Private Sector Privacy Legislation]

"The driver's licence number is sensitive and valuable to those intent on committing identity crimes," it states.

It also says that retailers "photocopying or scanning the licence generally goes too far," because a licence contains "more information than is needed for most business purposes."
Loblaw slammed over personal information requests in gift card roll-out
Such concerns are shared by privacy experts including Ann Cavoukian, expert-in-residence at Ryerson University’s Privacy by Design Centre of Excellence [also former Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario.]

“I just think that is so outrageous. First of all, they’re at fault, they’re doing this to correct their misbehaviour,” she said.
Unfortunately the issue that @PointsHubby and I have made about people who don't have either a utility bill or driver's license doesn't seem to have gotten any attention in the media. IMO that's at least as egregious as the stuff they're reporting about.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
46834 posts
12790 upvotes
^ Or Nitro PDF or something to that effect. I didn't put my full name when registering for one car and had to fix the name on the hydro bill to match it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
8901 posts
878 upvotes
So I guess no news for those who haven't heard back at all for anything? I haven't been asked for ID or nothing.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14104 posts
6523 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
gogoraptors wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 8:08 am
Usually lawyers on both side make the maximum money, the consumers next to nothing.
Although there's lots to criticize Loblaw for, I have to give them credit for offering to give out GCs now instead of waiting for class actions to settle and distribute. That way we (well at least those of you who've actually gotten them!) got the $25 now without the class-action lawyers skimming money off the top.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]
Apr 13, 2010
462 posts
187 upvotes
Loyalist, ON
bylo wrote:
Mar 12th, 2018 3:18 pm
Nope. The Competition Bureau, along with the Crown prosecutor, decide whether or not to lay charges and if so, what charges to lay.

See also Loblaw gets immunity after alerting watchdog to decade-long bread price-fixing scheme | Financial Post
I assume Loblaw and Weston have that commitment in writing ;)

Of course none of this precludes civil actions either by the Competition Bureau and/or class actions. The latter have already been launched.
I take back my "stand corrected". They are not immune. They may be immune from the Competition Bureau, but they are still named in the class-action suit: https://www.strosbergco.com/class-actions/bread/
Gabe of Gabe's Hacks
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
14104 posts
6523 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
cybersaga wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 9:02 am
I take back my "stand corrected". They are not immune. They may be immune from the Competition Bureau, but they are still named in the class-action suit: https://www.strosbergco.com/class-actions/bread/
You better stand up again. I said, "They've gotten immunity to criminal charges by offering up the $25 GC."

Class-actions are civil, not criminal, actions. The Competition Bureau can't immunize Loblaw from those. But I never claimed they could.

And as I said in the post you just quoted, "Of course none of this precludes civil actions either by the Competition Bureau and/or class actions. The latter have already been launched."

I'm glad to have been able to contribute, however modestly, to your morning exercise regime ;)
Last edited by bylo on Mar 14th, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
veni, vidi, Visa [!Brim]