• Oct 13th, 2017 1:22 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2074 posts
642 upvotes
North York
jasonluck wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 5:53 pm
Ahh I guess it depends on if you oil your grates after. I guess it's habbit, but I always oil my grates after each use to prevent rusting.
The factory seasoning never lasts, and I was taught from a young age to always oil them after we're done using them.
nice, what oil do you use? this was my first cast iron grill and i screwed it up.
Emporium wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:33 pm
The grates on my old Blue Ember are cast iron (non-coated). I usually heat them up, use a brush to clean off the caked on grease from last time, and then I oil my grates with some vegetable oil before bringing up to temp and grilling. After finished grilling, I leave the grease on the grates (protects them from rusting), and they are scraped off the next time I cook after heating up the grill again.

Been doing this for over 20 years, and never had any bristles in food, since the grill is wiped down and oiled after brushing. And the grate on my Blue Ember, is still in the same condition for the last 6 years or so. I use my grill at least 2 or 3 times a week, year round (including winter).
this is actually what is recommended in the manual for my broil king.
Oct 5, 2013
13 posts
6 upvotes
Milton
I also use this technique. It has worked very well for the past 10 years, no rust on the grates.

But still looking into one of the wood scrapers without any bristles as a precaution.
Dec 25, 2015
429 posts
39 upvotes
Toronto, ON
stryder1587 wrote: Don't these get a bad rep for bristles potentially falling off. Amazon has some where the spindle is directly part of the wire that goes all the way down the handle so it's the same piece, not glued on to the handle.

https://www.amazon.ca/Weber-6494-12-Inc ... rill+brush

is what i purchased from the dickson bbq sale last week, will test it out monday night, seems better than the standard glued on ones