Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 24, 2005
9454 posts
1013 upvotes
N/A

Loblaws Fail: check before you pay for no tax Fri & Sat

from Loblaws at North York Centre today, i picked up some stuff that i normally buy from Rexall or Shoppers, because they were advertising no tax on Friday and Saturday, and after paying i noticed that they still charged me tax. had to go to customer service to get it corrected, and noticed that i was not the only person in line who had the same issue.
it looks like the cashiers have to do something before you pay to remove the tax, and the cashier i had didn't do her job properly.
i wonder what kind of process they have for people who go through self checkout.

if you go to Loblaws, check the tax BEFORE you pay. once you've paid, you could be in line at customer service for 10 minutes to get the charge reversed.
“Children see magic because they look for it.”
15 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Where is lob laws north York?
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12573 upvotes
Markham
I found when they have no tax event,the price is higher,or they charge tax,but price is lower.so final cost seems similar to me
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
smartie wrote: I found when they have no tax event,the price is higher,or they charge tax,but price is lower.so final cost seems similar to me
It may seem that way, but I don't think they deliberately raise their prices just for this event. What I think happens is that they use this no tax event as the promo for the week, and so they offer less items on sale (or in my experience, they do less price matching of their own).

They take the equivalent of the tax off, much like a coupon, because they are not allowed to say they aren't charging tax. The cashier has to manually input this, so it makes sense that mistakes can happen. It would be an absolute nightmare to have to work the U-scans during this event since each customer would have to wait for the one cashier to do this for their order. I'm sure that some customers who don't want to wait end up not getting the promo.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
ippon wrote: after paying i noticed that they still charged me tax. had to go to customer service to get it corrected, and noticed that i was not the only person in line who had the same issue.

if you go to Loblaws, check the tax BEFORE you pay. once you've paid, you could be in line at customer service for 10 minutes to get the charge reversed.
May have been a shift change and the cashiers weren't given the swipe card or code to remove the tax.

Now, I watch the screen every time -- not just No Tax shopping. I even ask the cashier to wait until I can see the screen, if the person ahead of me who has paid, is blocking the line.

Also on regular shopping, I don't leave the cashier area until I check the receipt. No good finding out the price is wrong, when you are at home. Best to do in store.

Also not just Loblaws, Walmart, Freshco and Metro have messed up too, for me.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
coupondiva2012 wrote: Now, I watch the screen every time -- not just No Tax shopping. I even ask the cashier to wait until I can see the screen, if the person ahead of me who has paid, is blocking the line.

Also on regular shopping, I don't leave the cashier area until I check the receipt. No good finding out the price is wrong, when you are at home. Best to do in store.

Also not just Loblaws, Walmart, Freshco and Metro have messed up too, for me.
I always check my receipt prior to leaving the store; if a mistake is made, it's easy enough to get fixed at customer service. When I worked as a cashier, I hated when customers watched the order go through...it's like they don't trust that you can do your job. Also, they held up the line, when they could have spent that time packing their groceries.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
47027 posts
9310 upvotes
They did the same for me but when I called the CSR person told me the tax is discounted but reapplied for some government purposes. Either way I am going to go tomorrow or today if they're opened and contest it lol.
Blanka
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
Mars2012 wrote: When I worked as a cashier, I hated when customers watched the order go through...it's like they don't trust that you can do your job. Also, they held up the line, when they could have spent that time packing their groceries.
I worked cash too and I admired those customers who paid attention. Why? They have been burned by my fellow cashiers who didn't care about their job, but were forced to get a job (as they told me). They also cared about their hard earned money and wanted it to stretch as far as possible.

If they spent time packing their groceries, I just ignored them and helped the next customer pack. The line moved just as fast.

I ended up getting regular customers and long lines, because they appreciated a good cashier. :cool: :

Glad you were able to move on to another position other than cash. :)
Apr 4, 2010
390 posts
177 upvotes
I think it is a "scam" they use, cause how many people really pay attention to their receipt? I have asked for a refund of the tax multiple times in different GTA locations on so called tax free days.
I was told as well that the cashier must have forgotten.
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
charlotte1983 wrote: I think it is a "scam" they use, cause how many people really pay attention to their receipt? I have asked for a refund of the tax multiple times in different GTA locations on so called tax free days.
You have to be a pretty paranoid person to believe that such a large company would promote this so heavily and then go about scamming the customers. Believe it or not, it really was cashier error, and they are only human...
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
968 upvotes
Yellowknife
charlotte1983 wrote: I think it is a "scam" they use, cause how many people really pay attention to their receipt? I have asked for a refund of the tax multiple times in different GTA locations on so called tax free days.
Many smart shoppers pay attention to the check out screen and pay attention to their receipt. They want their hard earned money to be used appropriately. :)
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
smartie wrote: I found when they have no tax event,the price is higher,or they charge tax,but price is lower.so final cost seems similar to me
That's funny I just bought more than what we normally do and everything would normally come to $180ish this time it was $100. There was a lot of stuff on sale.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14325 posts
1241 upvotes
I always go through the self checkouts and they have signs up advising to let the attendant know when you are ready to pay so that they can enter the discount.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
They do not raise their prices prior to events like this. Individual stores have to price their items according to head office to ensure that all stores sell items for the same prices. For head office to go through and adjust the price of every item in the store, that would be a logistical nightmare and would quite likely crash their system. Major sales with a ton of price changes have bogged down their systems in the past as it has to download to individual stores, then a report prints out listing every price change. At that point a manger will go around to confirm that the price changes did take effect. It's not as simple a process as you would think, so there's no way they are going to change the price of everything in the store to account for a promotion like this

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)