• Jan 10th, 2012 6:47 pm
Tags:
None
May 26, 2006
249 posts
15 upvotes

loblaws - hot prepared foods - discount

hey guys,

just wondering if there is a set time when they mark down their hot food items.
the other day i went and got some chicken nuggets and the lady stuck on a 50% sticker, pleasant surprise :)

is there a rule or standard in place as to when/if items will be marked down?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2009
4999 posts
526 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
My guess is 1 hr before closing. I have seen them marking down bread at that time.

I'm told by a shopping guru on Chow, that meat is marked down at 9 AM.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2005
3369 posts
821 upvotes
Ottawa
At the majority of Loblaws, the hot food counter closes at 9pm. It's YMMV but most locations set the discount on average 15 minutes before closing the hot food counter.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
5845 posts
431 upvotes
Probably when the food is too cold to consider it hot and when it's too close to closing time to reheat it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5137 posts
49 upvotes
I know one Superstore I go to they do not discount the bbq chickens but at the end of the day I would see them just cover the station with some kind of blanket and leave it overnight.

I never see other stores do that.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2007
3416 posts
154 upvotes
GTA
Metro has dinner special nights, they have lured me atleast for Tuesday evenings with their Mammoth BBQ whole chicken at only 6.99. The Metro I go to makes a good bird, and there is meat left over for a sandwich for the both of us for our Wednesday lunch.

Loblaw in my opinion are missing the market while Metro, Longos, have theme dinner nights.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7270 posts
658 upvotes
Toronto
The Loblaws at Empress Walk used to do this, I think around 8:30pm. However they stopped a few years ago because I think they noticed too many people hanging around just waiting for the 50% stickers. Getting a mammoth 1kg bbq chicken for $5 was pretty hot.

I also remember I was going to buy a rack of ribs, regular price was like $16 but it had the 50% sticker so it was tempting. I didn't buy it and it was near the end of the day... then I saw an employee pick up the ribs I was looking at, and immediately dumping it straight into the garbage bin. Such a waste of perfectly good food!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
17197 posts
1479 upvotes
Poormond Hill
One evening I was at Loblaw and their was an announcement on the P.A. system that the chicken had just been reduced. This was around 7, a couple hours before closing. Wal Mart used to discount them, but they realised that the associates woud swipe for their break only to buy it.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
× < >