Freebies

[Local MP Office] Free Authentic, 3'x6', Canadian Flag

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2019 6:18 am
Apr 13, 2005
643 posts
431 upvotes
Markham, ON
zebracobra007 wrote: I believe they're hand woven by the MP during their spare time. maybe also signed.
For all the crap they DON'T do, they sure has hell should have the time to make these damn flags.
Mar 15, 2009
593 posts
219 upvotes
Ontario
nellium wrote: What exactly makes it authentic?
Because it IS made in China.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6286 posts
2508 upvotes
Moncton, NB
Emailed my local MP. will see how it goes.. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3450 posts
2561 upvotes
Ottawa
I think in order for this to be called an authentic Canadian flag, it should be made in Canada. I personally think it is made in China from Canadian prisoners accused of espionage LOL
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7270 posts
4732 upvotes
Canada
In USA basically every other home will have the flag on their porch or something.

Always wondered why it's not as popular in Canada
Tangerine, Public Mobile, and Freedom Mobile customer
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1695 posts
417 upvotes
RFDQ1016 wrote: In USA basically every other home will have the flag on their porch or something.

it's really a USA only thing and not as popular with rest of world.
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
20700 posts
3033 upvotes
YUL
Ren wrote: Who downvoted this Face With Tears Of Joy
They should be deported
Deal Addict
May 16, 2011
3740 posts
4596 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
RFDQ1016 wrote: In USA basically every other home will have the flag on their porch or something.

And that's a good thing. Uncritical nationalism is cancer. Maybe if they were less "patriotic," the Iraq War would have never happened.

I don't know if everyone here remembers the "red scare" after 9/11 happened, and how very different it was from the years preceding where nationalism was waning.
Banal nationalism refers to the everyday representations of the nation which build a shared sense of national belonging amongst humans, a sense of tribalism though national identity. . The term is derived from English academic, Michael Billig's 1995 book of the same name and is intended to be understood critically. The concept has been highly influential, particularly within the discipline of political geography, with continued academic interest since its publication in the 1990s.[1] Today the term is used primarily in academic discussion of identity formation and geopolitics.

Examples of banal nationalism include the use of flags in everyday contexts, sporting events, national songs, symbols on money,[2] popular expressions and turns of phrase, patriotic clubs, the use of implied togetherness in the national press, for example, the use of terms such as the prime minister, the weather, our team, and divisions into "domestic" and "international" news. Many of these symbols are most effective because of their constant repetition, and almost subliminal nature. Banal nationalism is often created via state institutions such as schools.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banal_nationalism
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3292 posts
469 upvotes
hill15 wrote: Contact your local MP Office to pick up a 3'x6' Canadian Flag. I believe you can get 1 per household each year.

Finding MP Office by entering your Postal Code

https://www.ourcommons.ca/parliamentari ... ies/FindMP
Nice. Thanks. Any idea if they are Made in Canada or China?
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
2739 posts
1598 upvotes
Langley
xbournex wrote: Can't see myself walking into a liberal's office. I'll pass.
This is a very narrow minded comment.