• Jun 25th, 2019 4:48 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
1642 posts
658 upvotes
North Vancouver
A few suggested edits (in bold):

Good Afternoon,

I trust this e-mail finds you well. I am a constituent in your riding and am contacting you to inquire about receiving a complimentary 3' x 6' Canadian Flag. Are MP’s at liberty to provide a household with one? If so, do they need to be picked up in person, or can they be mailed out? Thank you for your time.

Regards,
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. (Groucho Marx)
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Apr 21, 2019
37 posts
17 upvotes
I requested one from the Federal government website. It says the waiting period is over 100 years. Neutral Face
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
1775 posts
940 upvotes
roblombardi wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 2:21 pm
Dear MP

I am contacting you to inquire about a 3'x6' Canadian Flag you are giving for free.
Up until today I never thought about getting one, but my fellow RFDers peered pressured me into requesting one.
Please mail the flag to me at our own expense, as we are a group of cheapos that will complain if we have to put minimum effort in getting something, even if it's something as simple as writing a letter.

Regards,
June 12 Flag Requestor #2386
Well, it isn't his expense. It's your own tax money being used to ship it out. We have to pay for that FedEx priorty overnight shipment of $48.56 to ship that flag to you. I'm the so called cheapo, so can you etransfer me the portion of that tax money back to me?
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
16824 posts
2598 upvotes
Toronto
monsterdon wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 2:42 pm
I requested one from the Federal government website. It says the waiting period is over 100 years. Neutral Face
I think those are the massive flags they actually have on the flagpoles outside government buildings, not little ones like the MPs are giving away.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Jun 11, 2019
1 posts
Apparently, in Barrie/Innisfil riding flags are only given to companies only as they only get a allotment of 50 - 3'X6' Canadian Flags per year.
Aug 22, 2011
191 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver
Flags have to be picked up from your local MP. Reserved mine!
Feb 27, 2007
89 posts
34 upvotes
Ottawa
Verified and True. They did say that as supply is running low, they're trying to reserve the flags for Veterans, Schools and whatnot.

RFD'ers... Don't just abuse the system and get something for free to never use it. I swear if I see 3'x6' Canadian Flag up on Kijiji...
Dec 18, 2017
105 posts
64 upvotes
-removed to save the mods the hassle of deleting it-
Last edited by pk1234 on Jun 12th, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 16, 2010
550 posts
155 upvotes
Mississauga
Slick Wik wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 3:15 pm
I swear if I see 3'x6' Canadian Flag up on Kijiji...
You know that's happening "Authentic, BNWT Canadian flag for Canada Day celebrations" !! Tsk..tsk.
May 24, 2017
215 posts
112 upvotes
GTA
Ren wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 12:03 pm
Who downvoted this Face With Tears Of Joy
I did. Cost is not $0

Knowing the government, it went through 15 committes, 25 different approvals, then they bought from highest cost supplier, and the the MP office is dealing with request for "free" flags.

Real cost per flag is probaby in the $50 range. Another burden to tax payers.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2009
3690 posts
2007 upvotes
Sorcerer wrote:
Jun 12th, 2019 2:38 pm
A few suggested edits (in bold):

Good Afternoon,

I trust this e-mail finds you well. I am a constituent in your riding and am contacting you to inquire about receiving a complimentary 3' x 6' Canadian Flag. Are MP’s at liberty to provide a household with one? If so, do they need to be picked up in person, or can they be mailed out? Thank you for your time.

Regards,
"I trust this e-mail finds you well" - do you really hope they are well and that the email will find them? As long as you input the correct email address, the email will 'find' them well enough.
"I am contacting you to inquire..." - yes they know you are contacting them, since you are sending an email.
"Are MPs at liberty to provide a household with one?" - We already know that MPs can provide flags.
"If so, do they need to be picked up in person, or can they be mailed out" - Is this a test? Just get to the point. Ask them to mail it. If they can't mail it they will tell you so.
"Thank you for your time" - So you are specifically thanking them for their time only? How rude.
Feb 19, 2009
334 posts
282 upvotes
Brampton
"Good afternoon,

The Department of Canadian Heritage supplies MPs with a limited number of flags each year. Mr. Tilson generally reserves them for community groups, charities, non-profits, etc.. We do not have enough to give them to individuals, unfortunately. The rumour that MPs have enough to give away to anyone who asks is incorrect.

I trust the foregoing is of some assistance."

No luck out in Caledon.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

fadmin