• Nov 10th, 2017 10:17 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1390 upvotes
Richmond

Logitech to kill Harmony Link product

Another lesson in why any products you buy that rely on proprietary cloud services should be considered short-term rentals:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/08 ... next_year/

Note that Harmony Link is not the more recent Harmony Hub. It's an older product that Logitech still sold until recently. But the Hub too depends on a proprietary cloud service.
8 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
3253 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
Logitech in particular has a bad track record for this kind of thing. (RIP Squeezebox)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8251 posts
621 upvotes
Toronto
The harmony remotes suck anyways. Half the time there’s one piece of equipment that doesn’t turn on or off.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 29, 2012
2662 posts
1390 upvotes
Richmond
XtremeModder wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 10:56 am
The harmony remotes suck anyways. Half the time there’s one piece of equipment that doesn’t turn on or off.
We have several Harmony remotes (cheaper ones, not expensive ones), and I think they're great. It's an inherent issue that a sequence of several IR commands to different devices might go astray if you don't keep the remote pointed at the equipment, but we've long since learned to be careful about that and it's not a problem.
Penalty Box
Mar 23, 2004
21649 posts
2406 upvotes
They really ought to start making laws (like specific laws) against this crap. It's stupid that these devices simply stop working altogether after they discontinue the online service. In a lot of cases it makes zero sense as to why they can't operate as standalone devices w/o online connectivity and service, and it seems that's the case for something like this as well. Totally lame and stupid. I guess this is a reason not to ever get a Fitbit either because I hear they are also online-dependent.
Dec 16, 2009
531 posts
108 upvotes
Durham
I can't remember the model but we had one until I chucked it out about 6 or 7 years ago. For a dedicated specialty remote it had absolutely awful ergonomics. Holding it was about as comfortable as holding onto a pear.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4911 posts
4849 upvotes
Toronto
tedrowse wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 10:25 pm
I can't remember the model but we had one until I chucked it out about 6 or 7 years ago. For a dedicated specialty remote it had absolutely awful ergonomics. Holding it was about as comfortable as holding onto a pear.
What's wrong with holding pears?
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Dec 16, 2009
531 posts
108 upvotes
Durham
........for hours.

I am a man - remotes are generally permanently attached and must meld with the wearer for seamless channel flipping without inducing thumb cramping.