Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
London Drugs

15% All Vinyl until Aug 18th. Instore/Online(Free shipping over $75) WARM

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2018 1:25 am
Mar 29, 2004
96 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta

[London Drugs] 15% All Vinyl until Aug 18th. Instore/Online(Free shipping over $75) WARM

Went to browse London Drugs today at 130th AVE SE, Calgary and noticed they had a managers special until Aug 18th of 15% all vinyl. Picked up Bush Sixteen Stone 20th aniversary, remastered 2x LP Clear vinyl for $24.09. Looks like the sale is available online too. Free shipping with orders over $75.
12 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2017
1155 posts
288 upvotes
I heard these new remastered versions with the bad quality of vinyl compared to say the 70s/80s isn't so good. Can anyone confirm or deny that it's true and they're all on par with each other?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3160 posts
1856 upvotes
Kingston
BritishColumbian wrote: I heard these new remastered versions with the bad quality of vinyl compared to say the 70s/80s isn't so good. Can anyone confirm or deny that it's true and they're all on par with each other?
Some are terrible, some are very good. Read reviews to see. Amazon is a good source for reviews.
Jun 26, 2005
247 posts
176 upvotes
BritishColumbian wrote: I heard these new remastered versions with the bad quality of vinyl compared to say the 70s/80s isn't so good. Can anyone confirm or deny that it's true and they're all on par with each other?
Depends on the label and how they were remastered. From the original analogue tapes (usually good to great) or from some CD (mediocre to terrible). The latter is usually the case with no name European labels that pump out a lot of jazz/blues reissues like DOL, Wax Time. A few seconds of research will get you the info.

Also depends on your system and your ears. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
May 21, 2009
779 posts
101 upvotes
Ottawa
It depends on so many factors, such as the pressing plant, the sources used, etc. Some are much better and some are terrible. I'd say you have a good shot at getting something of better quality if it was pressed in the 80s initially (the Bruce Springsteen reissues are a good example) since they were pressed on cheap thin vinyl during that decade. I've seen some lovely reissues such as the Beatles Mono boxset that gave me back hope for vinyl from a quality control point of view.

There are some record labels to avoid, of course, such as 4 Men With Beards, Simply Vinyl, Vinyl Lovers, Wax Time for jazz, and most things pressed at United. Those either have really sketchy quality control or just press their music from digital sources.

I suggest doing some research on the specific album you're looking to buy. Places like the Steve Hoffman Music forum and Discogs love to discuss the quality of reissues. Good luck!
Nov 3, 2013
877 posts
1645 upvotes
Regina, SK
JC69 wrote: Some are terrible, some are very good. Read reviews to see. Amazon is a good source for reviews.
I wouldn't take most amazon reviews seriously, especially on vinyl. Check the Steve Hoffman forums for info about reissues and if their good or not.

Edit: Didn't see the reply above mine but they suggest the same thing.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
4036 posts
2976 upvotes
Calgary
glad to see there's still peeps into ol school vinyl. I remember having a VPI turntable + SME mag tonearm + koetsu cartridge setup eons ago & while I do miss true analogue, I cant deal with the maintenance & time/care involved in a good vinyl rig.

fwiw, YES analogue is better than any digital source I've heard Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2017
1155 posts
288 upvotes
I just realized when I had my $100 Sony record player I couldn't hear the vocals/music as much I can my portable music player that I have today.

I heard records have a 13 bit sound and CD's are 16 bit? Maybe that's why?
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
If anybody in Toronto wants to team up to hit the free shipping mark, let me know. I'm at $60.
Mar 7, 2011
743 posts
411 upvotes
Vernon
hoponpop wrote: If anybody in Toronto wants to team up to hit the free shipping mark, let me know. I'm at $60.
if you sign up for their newsletter youll get a code for free shipping on your first purchase
RFD Aquarium forum come join us =)
Mar 29, 2004
96 posts
9 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
I ended up pulling the trigger on a few more albums. Pretty much all of them are lower priced then the all time amazon.ca low price using camel

Weezer - Weezer (Blue Album) - Vinyl - $21.24
Talent, Billy - Billy Talent - Vinyl - $22.09
Method Man - Tical - Vinyl - $23.79
Electric Wizard - We Live - Vinyl - $27.19
Cypress Hill - Black Sunday - Vinyl - $33.99
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
brigand wrote: if you sign up for their newsletter youll get a code for free shipping on your first purchase
Took your advice, no code.