Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
London Drugs

Alcatel POP ICON Telus Prepaid $79.99

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2014 6:27 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2008
1282 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
Nice dead simple 99 cent unlock for this phone. Thanks for the reference. Very little bloatware, not like the Bell one I unlocked last year.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
Phils wrote: I find battery life is excellent however, does anyone know where to get a spare battery for this phone?
Bump
Phils
Dec 26, 2014
687 posts
580 upvotes
ON
Phils wrote: Bump
It is a pretty new phone without a huge support network. You will likely have to wait a few months for batteries to become readily available and easy to find.
Dec 18, 2011
578 posts
645 upvotes
Quebec, QC
is there any rom and rooting available ?
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
those pop icon owners, can you comment about the IPS screen quality for outdoor usage and the touchscreen responsiveness? thanks
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
polizeifritz wrote: It is a pretty new phone without a huge support network. You will likely have to wait a few months for batteries to become readily available and easy to find.
This phone has been out since August and, I believe, the Fierce 2, which is the identical phone, has been out even longer. A few years ago, I bought a spare battery for my old HTC phone where the description of the battery was actually for a camera. Thevendor assured me it would work and it did. There are lots of cases around for the Pop Icon so I was hoping batteries would have caught up by now.
Phils
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
82 wrote: those pop icon owners, can you comment about the IPS screen quality for outdoor usage and the touchscreen responsiveness? thanks
Bear in mind my previous were LG Optimus One and Huawei Y300. Screen quality for outdoor is better than both, at least I can still make out what is on the Pop Icon under sunlight but could not read anything on the other two. Touchscreen responsiveness is not better or worst than the other two.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2005
6758 posts
1786 upvotes
Montreal
apvm wrote: Bear in mind my previous were LG Optimus One and Huawei Y300. Screen quality for outdoor is better than both, at least I can still make out what is on the Pop Icon under sunlight but could not read anything on the other two. Touchscreen responsiveness is not better or worst than the other two.
I could have written your response as I am also coming from an Optimus One and a Huawei Y300 (although I had an HTC Amaze after the Optimus One). I would agree mostly with your assessment. There is one area where I find the POP Icon to be weak. When in camera mode, I press the button to take a picture and it does not work reliably. I think that speaks to the responsiveness of the touchscreen. I think my previous phones were much more responsive at least as it applies to taking pictures. I don't notice any difference otherwise.
Phils
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
The screen responsiveness is inconsistent. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 tries to register a press. That said, I don't think it's a deal-breaker. It's just a nuance of a $80 phone.
Mar 16, 2008
306 posts
206 upvotes
Arviat
nual wrote: anyone know how to update this phone to android 5.0?
No can do!!!
Nov 10, 2009
3 posts
Markham
I bought this phone from Futureshop. Just unlocked it and tested with Fido SIM. It works perfect.

I have a Wind hotspot. I put the Wind SIM (data only) to this phone. I can select Wind 3G network and "Wind" is showing on the bottom of the screen.
On the top of the screen, the signal bar is about 50% (the signal at my area is not strong I know). But browser can not access internet. I tried different websites. No luck.

Part of the reason I bought this is as a back up of the Wind Hotspt.
Has anyone every tried to use Wind data only SIM?
Nov 19, 2014
125 posts
290 upvotes
Central AB
crystallight wrote: Just got the phone in the mail today. I'm wondering...is there a better way to take the back cover off?!?

It appears you're suppose to pry it off through the little slit in the bottom left corner of the back. But you still need to force it quite a bit and the part beside it (the usb port) seems like it could break SOOOO easily.
I ran into that trouble too. I found running a plastic card, e.g. a credit card along the seam once the corner is open makes the taking the back cover off so much easier.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)