• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 12:51 pm
Jul 17, 2012
540 posts
195 upvotes
Kamloops
weaser999 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 12:13 pm
I bought their floor model after they discounted it another 20 bucks. Had a heck of a time getting the firmware to update. Had to reboot router, modem, phone, etc. Make sure you are on 2.4ghz band with security set to auto. Connected to the internet easy enough. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but at least got the firmware updated. This is on an Android Note 8. Smoker itself is a great size, seems like good quality. Light enough to move around easily.
All my coworkers in Kamloops have a smoker at home.

So this smoker has firmware? That's cool you can use app on this. I'll ask my experienced coworker if this is good deal.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11045 posts
2599 upvotes
FritzS87983 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 1:00 am
London Ontario. I even called them to confirm because I figured it was an error. How did you get $52?
Did they say why? According to their oversize items that do not ship for free, this doesn't fit... Its under 66 lbs and the maximum girth according to their formula is just under the required 118 inches
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Nov 17, 2014
352 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jackass_ca wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 3:22 pm
Did they say why? According to their oversize items that do not ship for free, this doesn't fit... Its under 66 lbs and the maximum girth according to their formula is just under the required 118 inches
Looking at the spec of the product itself (packaging not included) Girth according to London Drugs formula - this product is just slightly too big. Add packaging, and you're boned.
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
11045 posts
2599 upvotes
samuraizero wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 3:47 pm
Looking at the spec of the product itself (packaging not included) Girth according to London Drugs formula - this product is just slightly too big. Add packaging, and you're boned.
I see what ya did there... Winking Face
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Sep 9, 2015
26 posts
18 upvotes
BC
I had trouble with the firmware update also. Kept trying and finally got it. I’m smoking a prime rib roast right now.

It’s pretty simple to use. Set the cooking temperature and the target internal meat temperature and then let it go. Add chips manually when smoke is desired. Apparently a hopper full of chips will smoke for an hour or more.
Aug 27, 2017
90 posts
143 upvotes
DamnIHateThat wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 4:34 pm
I had trouble with the firmware update also. Kept trying and finally got it. I’m smoking a prime rib roast right now.

It’s pretty simple to use. Set the cooking temperature and the target internal meat temperature and then let it go. Add chips manually when smoke is desired. Apparently a hopper full of chips will smoke for an hour or more.
Let us know how it turned out! I picked one up too but didn't get to play with it yet. Maybe tomorrow.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
2249 posts
639 upvotes
lethbridge alberta
I would jump on this for smoked ribs but I'm put off by the price of smoker chips.
[OP]
Sep 3, 2014
652 posts
638 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
frankw wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 6:09 pm
I would jump on this for smoked ribs but I'm put off by the price of smoker chips.
Nothing to stop you using ANY wood chips with this though, unlike the Bradley pucks...
Dec 24, 2011
641 posts
216 upvotes
I'd jump on this but i'm put off by the reviews. If the app sucked I could live with it, but the dealbreaker is there's no way to operate the unit manually if the hardware component dies.
Jul 5, 2004
23823 posts
3383 upvotes
samcsamdo wrote:
Jan 5th, 2019 11:43 pm
I am very interested but the reviews on the app store are horrendous, enough to prevent me from pulling the trigger on this deal. I am going to do more research on this smoker and I will post if I find anything of interest.
As with almost all electric smokers, what you can cook on it is limited. It's low and slow only. This thing won't get very hot so you won't be able to do chicken or anything else requiring a higher temperature.
Dec 5, 2015
441 posts
450 upvotes
Verdun, QC
Kind of a pain that it must be connected to wifi to control it. Wifi wouldn't reach where I'd put it.
Dec 5, 2015
441 posts
450 upvotes
Verdun, QC
Shaner wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 5:57 am
As with almost all electric smokers, what you can cook on it is limited. It's low and slow only. This thing won't get very hot so you won't be able to do chicken or anything else requiring a higher temperature.
Did you take the time to read the specs on this one? Or are you just posting your assumptions?
Jul 5, 2004
23823 posts
3383 upvotes
tark514 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 7:14 am
Did you take the time to read the specs on this one? Or are you just posting your assumptions?
Read the specs on the page in the OP. Temp ranges aren't indicated. I did read a few of the reviews and the highest temp I saw mentioned was 250. Typically, electric smokers don't get much higher than 250
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
2249 posts
639 upvotes
lethbridge alberta
BritsinCanada wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 8:37 pm
Nothing to stop you using ANY wood chips with this though, unlike the Bradley pucks...
Did some research on wood chips for smokers and it seems that you don't necessarily need wood in chip form. Some people prefer small cubes which supposedly will last longer than chips. One fellow just chops up his off cuts from pieces of oak in his workshop and a handful of cubes will last the entire cook. Getting small pieces of boards like hickory or cherry wood would be difficult though as they are less common.