• Last Updated:
  • Jan 11th, 2019 12:51 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2004
2952 posts
490 upvotes
Shaner wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 5:57 am
As with almost all electric smokers, what you can cook on it is limited. It's low and slow only. This thing won't get very hot so you won't be able to do chicken or anything else requiring a higher temperature.
Low and slow is the point of any smoker. Same with sous vide. It's how things are done right. If you want it fast, use a BBQ, oven or microwave.

If anyone wants to learn more about smoking, grilling and meat in general, here's the grail...

https://www.amazon.ca/Meathead-Science- ... s=meathead
LEGO BUY SELL TRADE HERE

HOCKEY IS one of Canada's National Sports, Since 1994!!!! MORE INFO IN THIS THREAD

SARCASM - Because arguing with stupid people isn't nearly as much fun!!!
Aug 27, 2017
85 posts
135 upvotes
Saw the deal was still alive, so I figured I could share my personal experience after my first use, in case anyone was still trying to decide.
For the initial setup and firmware update, I plugged the smoker in the living room right by the router, since I read a lot of people had connectivity issues at that point. It went pretty smoothly. The device was recognized right away and the update was simple and successful.
Then I took it outside to its designated spot to run the cleaning and season the chamber as per the instructions. It was about 5 meters away from the router with very little obstructions. Again no connectivity issues. The initial cleaning went for 1 hour, then we were ready to go and start cooking.
I went with a rump roast that I already sous vide and chilled, with the intention of using the smoker to heat it up back to the desired temperature and off course give the smokey flavour. Used a manual cooking setting to set my desired chamber and meat temperatures. For the smoke, I used Traeger pellets. The app has a designated button to start the smoke, otherwise it just functions as an electric grill. I tried to start the smoke before I put the meat in (so I see that it heats up properly and actually starts smoking) but that didn't work. I guess it wasn't hot enough at that time. So I put the meat in and let it cook for a bit, then tried starting the smoke again. This time it was working very well. The cooking went well and the app gave all of the necessary notifications. The full chip box lasted the entire coming time and kept smoking in the empty smoker for over an hour after I already took out the meat. I've read that the chips in the box are only supposed to last for 45 minutes to an hour, so not sure why they lasted so long for me. Perhaps the Traeger ones are just very condensed and good quality?
Bottom line, I was very happy with both the experience and the end result. It's not perfect, but in my opinion, for the price, it's a no brainer. At least if your router is relatively close to where you're intending on putting it, which reading the reviews, seems to be a key factor. My main complaint would be that the app doesn't monitor the chamber temperature, only the temperature of the meat.