Hot Deals

[London Drugs] Garmin Fenix 5X Sapphire Watch $749.99 ($200 off)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2017 3:48 pm
Apr 7, 2008
212 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
I've been looking at getting a Garmin or a Suunto for awhile now. They both have key strengths but I wish they came together in one package. The main strength of Suunto is accurate and fast acquisition of GPS and their history in sport watch manufacture. It's the worst when you're all ready to go and you're sitting there waiting for the GPS. But on the other hand, Garmin has a better user interface, the Altitude and barometric pressure isn't directly linked together (vs. Suunto's are linked so if you're going hiking/cycling uphill, your storm alert can go off saying that there is a low barometric pressure front coming in), and downloadable color maps (cool idea but its hard to see on a small watch face from what I hear). Guess you can't get everything even at $500-1000 in these watches yet. My main 2 reasons for getting one of these watches is GPS (Suunto) and weather forecasting (Garmin) so if someone knows of a watch that can quickly and accurately do both, that would be great to hear.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2007
3020 posts
668 upvotes
Montreal
twitchyzero wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 2:18 am
the apple watch doesn't last a week on one charge ..my 5S Saph and can push 2 weeks

still can't get over the lack of touchscreen in 2017 though

yeah no serious multi-day hikes...if you're out in the woods you're likely cutting in & out of signal anyways = battery drain. I supposed next time I could try enabling both GLONASS and GPS.
I think the reason for no touch-screen is that experience has shown that touch screen doesn't work as well as physical buttons in many activities, such as running, swimming, and to some extent cycling.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3493 posts
288 upvotes
^ their lower-priced VivoActive HR has it...it felt way more intuitive to use..too bad it looks like a cheap toy

lol didn't know about storm alert...just set mine up with the highest sensitivity...these things are too featured packed I've barely scratched the surface.
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Nov 27, 2014
95 posts
40 upvotes
Calgary, AB
caqc2011 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:38 am
Costco 500 $
I just saw that at Calgary Heritage store
The one at the Heritage store is the 3, not the 5.
Sep 9, 2006
32 posts
13 upvotes
springdays wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 11:53 pm
So only 20 hours battery in GPS mode? No multi day hikes then - seems pretty redundant in that case for the price (I do multi-days)
I have the Fenix 3 HR. The 20 hours (or 16 ish in my case) quoted for GPS is with ~1 sec polling. If you change it to Ultratrac it should last much longer. I think it's like 50 or 60 hours. When I'm doing multi-day stuff in the bush, I do what chenwaa123 suggested and use a battery pack to charge while I get ready for bed. If you're gone for a really long time you can bring a solar charger.

I don't miss a touchscreen at all. If I want to mess with a touch screen, or text/call I use my phone. I'd trade 5 to 10 day battery life (depending on GPS use) for a touchscreen anyday.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3493 posts
288 upvotes
^ the Vivoactive HR with touchscreen actually has equal battery life compared to the 5S

I'm like you though...I tun off bluetooth and wifi so my wrist isn't buzzing from messages.

going back to my previous post, +1 on the storm alert function. I set it to the most sensitive setting and it gave me a notice few hours before yesterday's storm...neattt
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.