Hot Deals

[London Drugs] LG B8 OLED 65" $1999 online

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2019 8:56 am
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2006
3451 posts
414 upvotes
Hmmm, I was of the same opinion as you and still rock plasmas. Haven’t moved to oled yet because of motion processing.
The LCD tech that’s in this Sony is apparently the same that’s in the new Apple XDR display.
I was still unimpressed until the part of the video where he mentions that the tech is from Panasonic and uses two layers of LCDs (and a whole lot of power). Panasonic picked up Pioneer’s plasma division and given how far ahead those guys were on their plasmas, I definitelly want to see if they can scale this up to large tv sizes.

Viper98 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 8:55 pm
At what mark in the video does he give contrast ratio readings? I don't want to hear an opinion
Deal Guru
Feb 19, 2008
12997 posts
3109 upvotes
London
bobohobo2kx wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 9:00 pm
Lol, Vincent Teoh is one of the most respected TV reviewers and professional TV calibrators in the enthusiast community. People would sure as hell take his word over yours. Sony's own product page cites a 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio.

https://pro.sony/en_CA/products/broadca ... /bvm-hx310
Again, provide a contrast ratio number and I'll believe it

1m:1 has been the standard dynamic contrast ratio advertised on TVs for 5+ years but is a number that means nothing

Static/native is the only number that matters

Samsung's best LCD is <4k:1

A 10+ year old pioneer Kuro is 15-20k

Not to mention on plasmas you get like 4x the motion resolution of an LCD

A 1080p plasma actually has significantly higher motion resolution than a 4k LCD without using motion interpolation
Jan 22, 2008
110 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
trowax31 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 9:03 pm
How did I know before clicking or even looking at the logo - that it would be Quantum Apotheosis?

That guy is an unbelievable hack.

He has awful tastes, he's extremely opinionated with really bad opinions, and he uses those opinions to express righteous indignation and crap all over those who know more than him and have better tastes than he does.

He hates OLEDs, he has tried to demonize all the best TV analysts/reviewers in the industry (especially Vincent Teoh and Rtings), and he's an absurd Samsung fanboy, to the point that he claims Samsung provides better color accuracy than Sony. He has also stated in no uncertain terms that he views the 2018 Samsung Q8 as the greatest TV on the market. Apparently it's better than all the Sony LCDs, It's better than the Samsung Q9 and the Q80/Q90, and it's better than every OLED every made. That's what he claims.

I don't know if he actually believes what he's saying or if he's just doing what he does to seek attention, but he is not a credible individual at all. He has horrible opinions and he cranks them up to 11 because he thinks that sounding passionate and angry will someone make his opinions correct.
Last edited by heyyoudvd on Aug 14th, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 19, 2018
435 posts
269 upvotes
Viper98 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 9:54 pm
Again, provide a contrast ratio number and I'll believe it

1m:1 has been the standard dynamic contrast ratio advertised on TVs for 5+ years but is a number that means nothing

Static/native is the only number that matters

Samsung's best LCD is <4k:1

A 10+ year old pioneer Kuro is 15-20k

Not to mention on plasmas you get like 4x the motion resolution of an LCD

A 1080p plasma actually has significantly higher motion resolution than a 4k LCD without using motion interpolation
Dude, I gave you a number with official source. Where you getting dynamic contrast from? Dynamic contrast ratio is not mentioned anywhere with regards to the BVM-HX310. Stop adding your own erroneous adjective to discredit the technology. In the spec sheet for the Sony BVM-HX310, you can clearly see the luminance curve for the new BVM-HX310 (LCD) and that of its OLED predecessor the BVM-X300 are nearly identical.

Further, Sony demoed BVM-HX310 at the 2018 IBC side by side against the OLED BVM-X300 in a blacked out tent and it was more than able to hold its own.
Sony’s Daniel Dubreuil, product manager for professional monitors, describes the situation slightly differently, and points out some of the advantages that the BVM-HX310 enjoys as an LCD-based display. “The reason we decided to move that direction was that the new tech has an advantage over OLED. The new technology LCD can display 1000 NITs, but... on the X300 you can’t have the full-screen white at 1000 NITs. You can have 10% of the surface of the screen at 1000 NITs. When you grow that to full screen, you can have only 150 NITs. It’s to protect the panel.”

At the same time, Dubreuil says, the new display maintains the superb contrast performance of the BVM-X300. “It’s not a normal, or a regular LCD like we say today. It’s a new technology that improves the contrast radio to the level of the X300. You can see that benefit in terms of contrast ratio and blacks. The ratio is still a million to one, the same as the X300, [but] it can maintain 1000 NITs at full screen.”
Either way, the results shown at IBC were spectacular, competing ably with Sony’s own BVM-X300 in a side-by-side test in the blacked-out tent. “You have pixel level control of that light,” Dubreuil says. “You have something that allows you to have one area of the screen with a black level of about .001 NITs, then you can have 1000 NITs just a few pixels over.”
Here is another article on the cell modulating layer LCD technology which confirms the 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio is the static measurement, not dynamic as you falsely claim.
Japanese technology industry giant Panasonic has developed a new type of IPS LCD panel that the company says is capable of a contrast ratio in excess of a million to one. That's 1,000,000:1, to be clear, and that's a static contrast measurement, too, unlike the often fudged "dynamic contrast" figures.

Panasonic says that to achieve such a ludicrous contrast ratio, its new panels utilize "newly-developed light-modulating cells." The new cells are made of liquid crystals, just like those in the color-modulating display cell. By applying these light-modulating cells behind the traditional IPS display cell, the monitor can control light transmission on a per-pixel basis. Panasonic says the new technology has no inter-pixel light leakage, too.

Of course, blocking light only gets you halfway to a good contrast ratio. Panasonic says the backlights it's using in the new displays can continuously shine at up to 1,000 cd/m².
Just give it up, you were wrong.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2012
1419 posts
624 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Viper98 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 8:28 pm
There isn't an LCD on the planet that rival the black levels of a plasma, let alone an OLED

The contrast ratio on the Q90R is a laughable 3249:1
Why are they going backwards? My KS8000
Is 7000:1
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1519 posts
489 upvotes
Scarborough
Viper98 wrote:
There isn't an LCD on the planet that rival the black levels of a plasma, let alone an OLED
i would like an OLED in the future but your statement caught my attention.

i have a old LCD, a Sony xbr65hx950, it's from 2012 and has good black levels.. reviews below are from 2012 compare to plasma..

review from cnet says "The Sony XBR-HX950 series produces deeper black levels than any current LCD or plasma TV, giving excellent overall picture quality."
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/sony-xbr-55hx950-review/

from sound and vision, in the comparison and conclusion section when compared to a Panasonic TC-P65VT50: "I’d give a slight edge in black level and shadow detail to—surprise—the Sony, though the differences were small in that dark room."
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/ ... dtv-page-2

and from avsforum post #19 when compared to a VT50 "Blacks levels are better on the HX950, and fade to black scenes are totally pitch black vs only a dark gray on the VT50."
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd- ... hx950.html

and i still have a plasma in the bedroom and much prefer the Sony..
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2006
2503 posts
294 upvotes
Mississauga
smoothbutter wrote:
Aug 19th, 2019 3:57 am
when did the price go back to $3000?
Several days ago. They were out of stock and it repriced to $2499 at that point. Then they had stock at at $2999
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1596 posts
335 upvotes
Mississauga
Viper98 wrote:
for now it's OLED that takes the crown, but the next gen QLED TVs are coming from Samsung in 2020. it's as capable as OLED at switching pixels on and off individually, it'll have the brightness advantage, and no burn in!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)