Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
London Drugs

LG SL9YG 500W Soundbar w/ Rear Speaker Kit Package $699.99

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 4th, 2020 12:15 pm
Nov 17, 2004
851 posts
158 upvotes
Mississauga
I am on the fence with whether to return my Vizio Costco sound system vs this. It's really tempting, but I think as was mentioned before, the Vizio rear speakers have upfiring drivers and the soundbar has a center driver which I think makes me content with it.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
2308 posts
2726 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
WikkiWikki wrote: Explain this thing to me, because right now I don't think I will be able to get anything Atmos with what I have. Although for the price of the system and rear speakers, this will work well as just a soundbar to for now
HDMI from Shield pro into the LG soundbar then another HDMI from the soundbar into the tv. The soundbar will be able to play Atmos. Just double check which are in the "in" and "out" ports on the soundbar.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1789 posts
509 upvotes
GTA
ukhan wrote: I'd recommend getting the NVidia Shield through Staples with the current $25 off coupon.
It's OOS right now. :(
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
wetcardboard wrote: My concerns about the lack of a centre channel have subsided. Dialogue is amazing on this soundbar and I used to have a pretty nice discrete 7.1 system. Also the front soundstage is pretty incredible probably due to the side firing speakers.

Just wish there was another way to get Atmos sound without using the Xbox or having to buy an Apple TV. Neither Roku Premiere or Chromecast Ultra have Netflix Atmos support.
Doesn’t a cheap Amazon Fire Tv 4K have Atmos?
Sep 11, 2017
202 posts
152 upvotes
bobohobo2kx wrote: Only for Amazon Prime, not Netflix.
That's a shame. Just bought the soundbar, I was hoping to use fire stick 4k to get Atmos on both Prime and Netflix. For the Netflix app, will it downgrade Atmos to DD+?
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2007
2372 posts
469 upvotes
Edmonton
Any idea how well these perform when switched to vertical? Lol
Jun 9, 2013
480 posts
372 upvotes
Surrey
this seems to be 4.1.2 speakers. so its missing center speaker. so i feel liek dialogue might not be too good on this one?
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1074 posts
479 upvotes
Edmonton
kjc123 wrote: this seems to be 4.1.2 speakers. so its missing center speaker. so i feel liek dialogue might not be too good on this one?
Dialogue is very clear, one reviewer mentioned it'w not great at lower volumes but it seems fine to me and I have had discrete systems before. I have been listening at near reference levels though for most of the time I've been testing it since yesterday though.

Some titles show Atmos on Netflix but no sound comes out of the rear speakers though, noticed this with The Irishman. Altered Carbon and Lost in Space are awesome and it's immediately noticeable that sound is coming from the rears.
Jun 9, 2013
480 posts
372 upvotes
Surrey
wetcardboard wrote: Dialogue is very clear, one reviewer mentioned it'w not great at lower volumes but it seems fine to me and I have had discrete systems before. I have been listening at near reference levels though for most of the time I've been testing it since yesterday though.

Some titles show Atmos on Netflix but no sound comes out of the rear speakers though, noticed this with The Irishman. Altered Carbon and Lost in Space are awesome and it's immediately noticeable that sound is coming from the rears.
no sounds from atmos show is a big deal. also, no dolby vision passthrough as well... looks like finding a sound bar under $1000 is all about finding the right compromise..
Sep 11, 2017
202 posts
152 upvotes
kjc123 wrote:
no sounds from atmos show is a big deal. also, no dolby vision passthrough as well... looks like finding a sound bar under $1000 is all about finding the right compromise..
Can someone please confirm Dolby Vision pass through? As the article from TechRadar says it can pass through Dolby Vision.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/lg-th ... g-soundbar

If it can't do Dolby Vision, I might not even pick up my order.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2011
1074 posts
479 upvotes
Edmonton
kjc123 wrote: no sounds from atmos show is a big deal. also, no dolby vision passthrough as well... looks like finding a sound bar under $1000 is all about finding the right compromise..
It's only a few shows, most of them work so it's obviously a Netflix and or Xbox One issue. Wasn't aware of the lack of Dolby Vision support when I bought it, but I'm content with HDR10 on my X900E. The Netflix app for Xbox is stupid because it forces HDR and Atmos as soon as you launch the app, not when picking the content you want to watch.

I have to think this will get a firmware update for Dolby Vision at some point. Crazy that it would support both Atmos & DTS: X (rare for a bar to have both) and not pass through DV.

Was just testing out some 4K Blu Rays on the One X and figured out you need to change the audio settings in the Xbox menu if you have disc with DTS:X. It will either bitstream Dolby Atmos or DTS Digital Surround (select this for DTS:X) but not both at the same time. When set to DTS Digital Surround the text on the front of the sound bar will flash "DTS-X'

Pacific Rim sounds unreal on this thing, oddly enough though the Xbox disc menu says it's playing TrueHD and not Atmos. I know Atmos comes in a TrueHD container but shouldn't it say Atmos? The sound bar itself says Atmos on the front.
Jan 27, 2011
718 posts
773 upvotes
Why not just plug an HDMI cable from the soundbar's HDMI ARC port to the TVs HDMI ARC, and then plug all of your external devices straight to your TV? That's what I did with the Vizio soundbar and all formats work perfectly

And get the latest nvidia shield (2019 version) for full Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, HDR10 support. I'm really digging the newer shields.
Jul 19, 2019
40 posts
84 upvotes
Anyone know how this stacks up against the Bose Soundbar 700? Aside from the obvious price difference.
Sep 11, 2017
202 posts
152 upvotes
hotsauce007 wrote: Why not just plug an HDMI cable from the soundbar's HDMI ARC port to the TVs HDMI ARC, and then plug all of your external devices straight to your TV? That's what I did with the Vizio soundbar and all formats work perfectly

And get the latest nvidia shield (2019 version) for full Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, HDR10 support. I'm really digging the newer shields.
HDMI ARC doesn't support true HD Atmos, only lossy DD+. Only e-ARC support lossless Atmos, but this soundbar doesn't have e-ARC.
Last edited by PhoneyStoney on Dec 7th, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 27, 2011
718 posts
773 upvotes
PhoneyStoney wrote: HDMI ARC doesn't support true HD Atmos, only lossy DD+. Only e-ARC support Atmos, but this soundbar doesn't have e-ARC.
Why advertise a soundbar as atmos if it doesn't even do real atmos? Care to explain lossy DD+ vs Atmos?...do they sound way different? How should I be connecting everything? I tried connecting my nvidia shield straight to the soundbar and connected an HDMI cable from the soundbar ARC to tv ARC, but the image looked all messed up...everything looked green. Have you heard of this problem before?
Sep 11, 2017
202 posts
152 upvotes
hotsauce007 wrote: Why advertise a soundbar as atmos if it doesn't even do real atmos? Care to explain lossy DD+ vs Atmos?...do they sound way different? How should I be connecting everything? I tried connecting my nvidia shield straight to the soundbar and connected an HDMI cable from the soundbar ARC to tv ARC, but the image looked all messed up...everything looked green. Have you heard of this problem before?
It can do true HD Atmos from Nvidia if directly connected to soundbar. For your green screen problem, most likely it's Rec 2020 vs 709 problem. Try enabling colorimetry in developer mode on your Nvidia.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
ukhan wrote: Nvidia Shield Pro or TV would do it. It's more to do with the fact that the NVidia Shield (TV or Pro) supports Dolby TrueHD passthrough which will allow passthrough of Atmos content (either TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus) to the soundbar. Basically you will connect your Shield to your HDMI input on the soundbar and then connect the soundbar to the TV.

The other way to support Atmos is through HDMI-ARC where the sound comes from the TV or another HDMI input and then gets routed to your soundbar (if it is connected to your HDMI-ARC port). In this case, you won't ever be able to get Dolby TrueHD because HDMI ARC can't support the bandwidth needed for TrueHD.
Wow, looks like this thing can do everything, right now my PS4 Pro is my go to for everything, and Telus Optic tv box. Obviously besides actual physical media playback, looks like a lot of options. ILl have to keep my eye out for a sale. And as well an HDMI splitter. I only have two HDMI ports on my TV, both used up
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2009
1536 posts
778 upvotes
PhoneyStoney wrote: HDMI ARC doesn't support true HD Atmos, only lossy DD+. Only e-ARC support lossless Atmos, but this soundbar doesn't have e-ARC.
Thanks for the insight, your comment actually made me cancel my order and wait for an affordable soundbar that supports e-ARC next year perhaps. Gonna stick with my 2.1 for now and save some money this holidays.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)