Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
London Drugs

Onkyo 7.2-ch AV receiver - TXNR757- $499.99 - Less than half price with FS

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 24th, 2018 8:31 am
Mar 19, 2008
116 posts
55 upvotes
biggaroupa wrote: Myself and another friend recently purchased the 676 from Skadi recently and we've been extremely happy! It has a very powerful amp, I'm using it for a 2.1 setup so the 100W RMS @ 2 channels is really nice!

The 2017 units seem to have a more consistent connectivity through WiFi, this is important for Chromecast, which is the main reason why I wanted this unit. Also, remember this is 4K and HDR compatible, so it makes sense to have up to date receiver to be more future proof with newer TV's.
Chromecast is big for me as well, especially because I have a google home and the 3 and 5 year old love telling google to put some music on. I think I can justify $449 for B stock especially because I paid $700+ for the 607 and feel that I really didn't get my money's worth. Losing a year of warranty from Onkyo for a purchase from Skadi at the $449 price is something I can live with.

Any experience with Gibbys vs. Skadi...should I look at one over the other?
Mar 19, 2008
116 posts
55 upvotes
Nexus777 wrote: LD ships to Ontario for free. I just received mine today
Was not aware of that, will keep it in mind. I wanted to order a Klipsch 12" Subwoofer from them, but that sale was during Black Friday...damn can't believe I could have had it shipped to Ontario.
Sep 27, 2009
777 posts
530 upvotes
Sask, Canada
Importz wrote: I have the TXNR656 , you guys think its worth upgrading?
The receiver is the last thing I'd upgrade. Unless your current one can't do 4k and you actually have a 4k TV and player I wouldn't bother myself. The thing that mad the biggest difference in my home theater was getting an decent sub. I bought an Svs pb 1000 and it really made things better.
Jan 10, 2008
243 posts
263 upvotes
quebec
syngh80 wrote: Chromecast is big for me as well, especially because I have a google home and the 3 and 5 year old love telling google to put some music on. I think I can justify $449 for B stock especially because I paid $700+ for the 607 and feel that I really didn't get my money's worth. Losing a year of warranty from Onkyo for a purchase from Skadi at the $449 price is something I can live with.

Skadi is actually a branch of http://www.microland.ca/contact-us/ . Microland is a return and refurbished center. I would prefer dealing with skadi.
Last edited by snoroqc on Jan 22nd, 2018 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 15, 2005
869 posts
819 upvotes
N8DOGG wrote:

Onyko. Audyssey is light years ahead on the denons.

http://www.avrant.com/av-rant-573-furnaces/ - at 1:55:20 they mention how Onkyo used to incorporate audessey but have recently cut corners. guess they don't want to pay royalties to audessey They go on to say if you dont use room correction they are decent.

in past podcasts they have mentioned other non - audessey room corrections are decent, like Yamaha's YPAO, Pioneer's MCACC or trinnov (found in higher end systems) are all very good.

Personally im very happy with what my Audessey xt32 was able to do with my weird shaped room with it's 8 measuring points on my Denon :)
Aug 15, 2007
614 posts
265 upvotes
Richmond Hill
syngh80 wrote: Chromecast is big for me as well, especially because I have a google home and the 3 and 5 year old love telling google to put some music on. I think I can justify $449 for B stock especially because I paid $700+ for the 607 and feel that I really didn't get my money's worth. Losing a year of warranty from Onkyo for a purchase from Skadi at the $449 price is something I can live with.

First time buying refurbished for this type of product and the experience was pretty straightforward, I live 15 mins from the warehouse but they offer free shipping and it only took 1-2 days!

The unit I received looked brand new (it seemed like someone just bought it tried it out and didn't like it).
Dec 30, 2012
496 posts
1102 upvotes
SURREY
Thanks op picked one up in surrey on king George. 2 left at 7pm pst
Feb 7, 2011
484 posts
105 upvotes
Regina
How is this compared to Sony STDR 1080 which is also on sale right now? Actually i ordered this Sony from Visions during the Boxing day sale for the same $499 Pricing but i am still waiting to hear from them as it was back ordered so if this one is better i would cancel them. Thanks for your time in advance.
Feb 22, 2010
646 posts
867 upvotes
simsin wrote: I have an Onkyo NR-709 receiver that suffered from the no sound problem.

Onkyo owned up to the problem & created an extended warranty program to repair the faulty part under warranty completely free (shipping included).
My receiver is working fine since the repair.
Good for you. They refused to take care of mine, and thousands of others, because (as their CSR replied to my letter) "they have to set limits to the number of units they will repair". It's nice to see that some people had their units repaired but for me, no luck.

As I said, it's just a word of advice from my experience : my hardware stopped working and their CS didn't respond as I hoped.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
Chennaite wrote: How is this compared to Sony STDR 1080 which is also on sale right now? Actually i ordered this Sony from Visions during the Boxing day sale for the same $499 Pricing but i am still waiting to hear from them as it was back ordered so if this one is better i would cancel them. Thanks for your time in advance.
Reviews seem to favour the Sony 1080. This includes What HI Fi and CNET. Personally, I would like it to see it drop further to about $400. I have a Marantz SR6008....would like to hold out for HDMI 2.1 (8K plus)...probably a year or two away.

David
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2001
7994 posts
2226 upvotes
Alberta
douber wrote: Good for you. They refused to take care of mine, and thousands of others, because (as their CSR replied to my letter) "they have to set limits to the number of units they will repair". It's nice to see that some people had their units repaired but for me, no luck.

As I said, it's just a word of advice from my experience : my hardware stopped working and their CS didn't respond as I hoped.
That's not good....especially if it's design flaw which it appears to be. Onkyo are known to run somewhat warm/hot....which is not a good match for electronics. I would avoid Onkyo and Harmon Kardon.

Dave
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2014
1513 posts
2127 upvotes
BC
douber wrote: Good for you. They refused to take care of mine, and thousands of others, because (as their CSR replied to my letter) "they have to set limits to the number of units they will repair". It's nice to see that some people had their units repaired but for me, no luck.

How many years old was it though?

My TX-NR808 was about 3-4 years old when I had HDMI board failure. I don't think their extended repair policy was endless...

As an aside, my UK TX-NR808 cost me equivalent of $170 (£100 in the UK) brand new, from a clearance branch of a major UK electrical retailer. They were £1000 ($1700 or so) in their regular stores!!!. Sold it after repair for £500 ($900 equivalent) Face With Tears Of Joy
Last edited by BritsinCanada on Jan 23rd, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 30, 2012
496 posts
1102 upvotes
SURREY
BritsinCanada wrote:
As an aside, my UK TX-NR808 cost me equivalent of $170 (£100 in the UK) brand new, from a clearance branch of a major UK electrical retailer. They were £1000 ($1700 or so) in their regular stores!!!. Sold it after repair for £500 ($900 equivalent) Face With Tears Of Joy
Classic buy low, sell high. Nice. 🖐🏻
Oct 8, 2011
17 posts
7 upvotes
MONTR
DavidY wrote: Reviews seem to favour the Sony 1080. This includes What HI Fi and CNET. Personally, I would like it to see it drop further to about $400. I have a Marantz SR6008....would like to hold out for HDMI 2.1 (8K plus)...probably a year or two away.

David
8k ??? Why?? 4K hasn't even been established yet. How big of a TV do you plan to get? 100"? Do you have eagle eyes? Are you rich?
Don't get drawn in by all the tech talk and hype.
Dec 26, 2007
51 posts
42 upvotes
They have some of these in Edmonton as well and Im tempted but I had the slightly lesser version the TX-NR555 for awhile and it was just alright. I sold it because.

-Once in awhile Id have to turn it off and on to work properly. Especially video.

- As others have said they run ridiculously hot. I have lots of space but I still didnt like it.

-My mains are Dynaudio 52SEs which need 140w/ch at 4ohms. The Onkyo was never giving them enough juice compared to the 2 channel amp I have now.

-I just dont use surround much. I'm more a music guy than movie guy. I also didnt like that it didnt have analog pre outs per channel. In the end I just ended up downsizing from a 7.2 to 2.2 system.

-The room equalization with the mic was terrible. Just do it manually.

-My Yamaha BDA-1060 player takes care of all the wireless and SACD/DSD decoding that I need.

Honestly, the thing I really liked on them the most was the phono pre. For a budget receiver it was actually pretty good.

As I said, I'm tempted because these have a few more features and a little more power than the TX-NR555 but in most ways would be the same. If I were to take another whirl in surround land I'd probably go Yamaha or Marantz.

The Onkyo hardware electronics are very similar to the Denon but the Denons just seem to be programmed better and have way less problems.
Feb 7, 2011
484 posts
105 upvotes
Regina
DavidY wrote: Reviews seem to favour the Sony 1080. This includes What HI Fi and CNET. Personally, I would like it to see it drop further to about $400. I have a Marantz SR6008....would like to hold out for HDMI 2.1 (8K plus)...probably a year or two away.

David
Thank you so i am going to stick with my order then.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)