Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
London Drugs

Sony XBR X900E 4K TV - 49" $999.97 / 55" $1,099.97

• Last Updated:
  • May 28th, 2018 8:04 am
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2004
1550 posts
655 upvotes
North Vancouver

[London Drugs] Sony XBR X900E 4K TV - 49" $999.97 / 55" $1,099.97

Seen at London Drugs at Market Crossing in Burnaby, BC. Not sure if store specific.

XBR X900E 49" $999.97
XBR X900E 55" $1,099.97

EDIT: Didn't notice the small print, says "Open Box / Display Model Only"
Images
  • MVIMG_20180525_131111.jpg
Last edited by da_hool on May 25th, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2006
1514 posts
1622 upvotes
Canada
Keep in mind that both tags say open box/display only.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2004
1550 posts
655 upvotes
North Vancouver
J.C wrote: Keep in mind that both tags say open box/display only.
Good catch! I didn't notice that. I'll update.
Oct 7, 2016
81 posts
59 upvotes
I was waiting for weeks for a deal on this TV since it’s last years model. Was so happy until I saw open box lol.
Nov 27, 2016
45 posts
102 upvotes
GTA
The new 900F has already come out, is more future proof and I think worthwhile to wait for a price drop. This years model has Sony's X1 Extreme video processor chip and the peak brightness hits about 1000nits compared to 800 from the X900E. It also supports both dolby vision, HDR10 and HLG. (Edit: Actually I was wrong they hit 1276nits with the X900F which beats even the Samsung QLED., also improved motion handing with X-motion clarity. X1 extreme chip is 40% more powerful than the standard X1)
Last edited by Superfinity on May 26th, 2018 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2007
3057 posts
1504 upvotes
49 inch 4k is really burning money according to how eyes and the 4k technology work.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2015
1311 posts
1428 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Superfinity wrote: The new 900F has already come out, is more future proof and I think worthwhile to wait for a price drop. This years model has Sony's X1 Extreme video processor chip and the peak brightness hits about 1000nits compared to 800 from the X900E. It also supports both dolby vision and HDR10.
X900F is more expensive and has almost similar image quality, even with the newer video processing chip. It has uglier stand, doesn't have TV tuner and I have seen clouding on menus while X900E doesn't have those issues.
-
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1926 posts
252 upvotes
Vancouver
blasianEng wrote: I was waiting for weeks for a deal on this TV since it’s last years model. Was so happy until I saw open box lol.
does open box really matter?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
3111 posts
3201 upvotes
Superfinity wrote: The new 900F has already come out, is more future proof and I think worthwhile to wait for a price drop. This years model has Sony's X1 Extreme video processor chip and the peak brightness hits about 1000nits compared to 800 from the X900E. It also supports both dolby vision and HDR10.
When the 900F drops in price, the 900G will be out and then it'll be more future proof and worthwhile to wait for that to drop and then the 900H will come out and be a vicious cycle.
It's technology you'll never catch up.
No politics in sigs - mods
Nov 27, 2016
45 posts
102 upvotes
GTA
When I say future proof, I am talking about Sony finally supporting all types of 4K HDR content, Dolby vision, HDR10 and HLG in their mid-high end range TV's. I bought the X900E, after finding out that it did not support Dolby vision I did research on the subject. It also bugged me so much that companies like Vizio and LG have supported both Dolby Vision and HDR10 since 2016 and it appeared to be more of a licensing issue. I ended up returning it, unopened for this very reason.

Netflix supports Dolby Vision and so do certain Blu-ray movies. If your viewing this content on a device that doesn't support it, the colours will be off, duller and not as vibrant. The colour and brightness levels are directly affected. A reviewer watching Kong: Skull Island on Bluray reported a noticeable difference between the 2 Sony tv's.

If you don't use Netflix or don't care there might be a difference while watching certain movies, fine. If your okay with buying a TV in 2018 without support for all the various 4K technology, by all means. I would consider this to be a big deal, and there won't be any major changes in the upcoming models as you suggest. They finally decided on the 3 types of 4K processing, I would compare this to the Blu-ray HD DVD movie war.
Last edited by Superfinity on May 26th, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nov 27, 2016
45 posts
102 upvotes
GTA
SureshA720227 wrote: X900F is more expensive and has almost similar image quality, even with the newer video processing chip. It has uglier stand, doesn't have TV tuner and I have seen clouding on menus while X900E doesn't have those issues.
Your talking out of your *ss, the X900F does still have a TV tuner, wrong. The newer chip, which was found on last years high end X930+ models makes a huge difference. Yes it is more expensive because it just came out. That's why I said, I think it's worthwhile to wait for a PRICEDROP. (October-November, huge drop like last year) They also improved motion control with X-Motion and the peak brightness at 1276 nits, even beats Samsung QLED Q7F, gets 1008nits (last years X900e got about 800nits.) The stand being uglier is your opinion. Do you even know what Dolby vision, HDR10 and HLG are and how they effect picture quality? (I talked about how this TV adding supporting for Dolby vision and HLG is a big deal in my other post.)

"Sony has fitted the series with its X1 Extreme video processor, rather than the standard X1 processor used in last year’s X900E models. A key component of this (40%) more powerful Extreme processor is that it carries a unique twin-database system for adding detail to and removing noise from sub-4K sources.

This worked wonders on all the HD Blu-rays and even DVDs we played on the X900F, making them look far more detailed - genuinely 4K-like in Blu-ray’s case - without exaggerating any source noise they might contain. For the second year in a row, there’s just no other mainstream TV technology out there today that can upscale HD to 4K as well as Sony’s X1 Extreme processor.

The same is true for the X900F’s system for converting standard dynamic range (SDR) images to HDR. Similar ‘upgrading’ is now offered by most other TV brands, but there’s a naturalism and subtlety to Sony’s HDR upgrade (which introduces both enriched colors and an expanded brightness range) that makes the resulting images uniquely consistent and convincing."

"Perhaps the most impressive test result was the set's 1,276-nit brightness. The only comparable set to come close is the Samsung Q7F (1,008 nits), and even that result is impressive for the category. Most competing models are closer to half the XBR-X900F's score; the TCL 6 Series did well with its 607 nits, while the LG C7 OLED achieved only 405 nits."

"One of the biggest innovations Sony brings to the table is X-Motion Clarity, which puts a new twist on the black-frame insertion used to offer smoother, judder-free motion."

If you can't wait 5-6 months buy the X900E, I'll admit I like the stand better.
Dec 9, 2015
58 posts
38 upvotes
alert
Haven't seen the F in person, but can speak to the quality of the E. Wow, if the F upscales 1080 content even better than the E, that is incredible. The E already does an amazing job of it. I mean really. I put in 5th element in 4k on my xbox, and didn't even have 4k on, due to the xboxone requiring a tonne of settings to get it to work right. I still thought it looked amazing. There were details that were brought out I had not seen/noticed before. I will say there was a difference once you went to true 4k, especially with some of the highlighting in the opening scenes. BTW, what a great remaster they did on that in 4k. I have the movie on bluray as well. Dunkirk just arrived, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

The one thing that does throw me off is the soap opera effect. Not sure if xmotion on the x1extreme helps this at all, but it can make dramas look like "news footage" as my wife puts it.
Apr 13, 2007
37 posts
23 upvotes
Outer Earth
Chewfam wrote: When the 900F drops in price, the 900G will be out and then it'll be more future proof and worthwhile to wait for that to drop and then the 900H will come out and be a vicious cycle.
I know you weren't being literal but the new TV's come out in the spring, go on sale in the summer and the prices drop in the fall now as opposed to the winter.

So you can score a massive deal in November, almost 4-5 months before the new model actually even comes out. Though I know what you are saying about technology. To some ignorance is bliss. You can try catching up by altering the molecular structure of objects and re-shaping them to your desire as I do. Getting closer, "Smart 3D Printing Ink Allows Structures to Change Shape and Color".
Nov 27, 2016
45 posts
102 upvotes
GTA
Chewfam wrote: When the 900F drops in price, the 900G will be out and then it'll be more future proof and worthwhile to wait for that to drop and then the 900H will come out and be a vicious cycle.
Buying an open box TV (X900e) which is a large purchase, with outdated technology in 2018 is just stupid (especially when it has existed since 2016), when the new version is out and finally covers all types of the HDR standard. This makes it future proof. (You could have nabbed this brand new for this price on boxing day) Yes, ignorance is bliss.

Incorrect, when the X900f drops in price in November (priced the same as it predecessor) the X900g won't still be out for another 5 months, until spring of 2019. Your general statement does not apply in this context. If it was November or December of last year then people should have jumped on this TV, not now, when waiting a little while is actually worthwhile.
Last edited by Superfinity on May 27th, 2018 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apr 13, 2007
37 posts
23 upvotes
Outer Earth
The context is everything and in this case your wrong. Fail, next.

I would rather wait 5-6 months, as Superfinity suggests to future proof my TV purchase. Getting compatibility for all HDR, the extreme chip, x-motion and all the upgrades they've made are worthwhile. They've actually taken an already superb TV and improved it a great deal. It will be the same price as last year's model on black Friday.

I don't know maybe you like buying new TV's every 2 years.
Jan 5, 2016
27 posts
11 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Has anyone played with rooting the x900? The default launcher is driving me insane with it's shitty suggestions, an entire row of "Featured Apps" which are not installed and I never use, and the stupid Inputs row which is useless, since you have a button on the damn remote for that.