Feb 16, 2013
547 posts
587 upvotes
Toronto

Long distance calling.

Hi guys.
I want to call Ukraine from Toronto.
What's the cheapest method?
I saw a card that costs 18 cents a minute with weekly maintenance of 50 cents.

I don't want to sign up for anything

Is there anything better?
Thanks.
8 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12545 posts
4060 upvotes
Oakville
I used to use thephonecardstore.ca for calling ireland. They let you compare various cards (no fee, low fee, etc) to determine what the best card is for your usage patterns.
Public Mobile
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7596 posts
2513 upvotes
ON
Which company is the destination number with?

As low as 10c/min with voip.ms
https://voip.ms/en/rates/international

If you're just calling out there would be no recurring fee, just per minute costs. But you'd need a softphone (app on your smartphone) or an ATA device to plug your analog phone into.
$25 USD initial deposit

Or for $1/mo + 1c/min on top of the outgoing rate you could set up a long distance dial-in redirect, where you dial a local number from your phone (that's the $1+per minute cost) which redirects you to the long distance number at an additional per minute cost (depending on where the number is, per above). Basically making your own pay-as-you-go calling card. No internet required with this option.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2007
1581 posts
168 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi,

The cheapest method would be video chatting on your computer or an app on your cellphone using wifi. Next would be using calling cards, calling from land line to land line. Calling card connections can be hit & miss, might have to try several brands to find 1 with good reception. Most cards will expire after a number of days, once they are activated. Calling cards can be found in neighbourhood convenience stores. Good idea to ask around the Ukrainian community to find out what others are using to call home.
http://www.ontariophonecards.ca/ukraine ... rds?page=0
https://vox.ca/Europa.html
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
154 upvotes
Which carrier are you with? Because I've noticed some Cell carriers have a long distance package which includes certain countries and they also give you certain minutes for some dollar amount.
May 8, 2009
2283 posts
712 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
What's your call volume? If you're looking at more than 155 minutes per month, then you rather not pay per minute. Even 100+ minutes per month, you rather not pay per minute. I have a trick that will get you 1,000 or 5,000 minutes of Ukraine calling (or calling most of the world) at a nominal monthly fee.

First you need to be able to call the UK. If you're with Koodo, pay $20 per month for 1,000 minutes. If you're not with Koodo, you could switch, or sign up with Phone Power ($25 USD per month) for 5,000 minutes on their cheapest world calling plan (includes UK landlines).

Once you have UK calling, head over to free UK numbers (web search it, there are multiple sites). Create UK forwarding numbers, have them forward to your contacts in Ukraine.

Free call forwarding for life. Save those UK #'s in your contacts.

Instead of phone power, you could go with Vonage, but Vonage will ship you their ATA and get you less minutes for the same money. Phone power will let you go app only, sip credentials in your own IP phone or ATA, etc.

If you're doing less than 100 minutes per month, save the hassle and pay per minute. For per minute rates, compare Google Hangouts (voice), Fongo, etc. We use Fongo for overseas calls, but they're not cheapest for all destinations, and where we call isn't covered by the UK number trick.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Jul 11, 2017
78 posts
35 upvotes
Facebook messenger + Facebook messenger = free long distance calls! There are also many other applications.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12545 posts
4060 upvotes
Oakville
Bella125 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 10:23 am
Facebook messenger + Facebook messenger = free long distance calls! There are also many other applications.
That relies on both you and the person you are calling having a reliable data connection, and also having a reliable data connection between the two locations. I know that when we chat with my sister in law in Ireland, VOIP calls like this can be finicky at the best of times.
Public Mobile
May 8, 2009
2283 posts
712 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
wearysky wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 11:20 am
That relies on both you and the person you are calling having a reliable data connection, and also having a reliable data connection between the two locations. I know that when we chat with my sister in law in Ireland, VOIP calls like this can be finicky at the best of times.
And using BookFace, which will likely shorten your lifespan.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming