Automotive

Long drive for a car, how long can drive and how long to stop to rest the car?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2011 12:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2142 posts
77 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

Long drive for a car, how long can drive and how long to stop to rest the car?

Hi

I am going to be driving to Miami, FL on Wednesday. I am going to be driving my own car [2010 Corolla] and was wondering how long can I drive without stopping and how long should I rest when I do.

I am thinking for splitting the trip into 2 days, 12-14 hours the first day and ~12 the next, I am thinking of stopping every 1/4 gas tank left [about 4 - 5 hours of driving for ~30 mins or so for gas fill up and to eat and drink coffee or water]

Is driving 12 - 14 hours in one day too much for a 4 cyl. car? or should I stick with 10 hours?

Thanks,
Chris
31 replies
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
17043 posts
2611 upvotes
Thornhill
win-star wrote:
Jun 20th, 2011 10:18 am
Hi

I am going to be driving to Miami, FL on Wednesday. I am going to be driving my own car [2010 Corolla] and was wondering how long can I drive without stopping and how long should I rest when I do.

I am thinking for splitting the trip into 2 days, 12-14 hours the first day and ~12 the next, I am thinking of stopping every 1/4 gas tank left [about 4 - 5 hours of driving for ~30 mins or so for gas fill up and to eat and drink coffee or water]

Is driving 12 - 14 hours in one day too much for a 4 cyl. car? or should I stick with 10 hours?

Thanks,
Chris

I think the car is fine, I'd be more worried about your own self well being, keep yourself well hydrated, and stretch during your stops. Cars are engineered to go long distances, as long as everything is working properly.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2009
1030 posts
132 upvotes
Burlington
The car will be fine running non-stop the entire distance, the question is how long can the driver go before they need to stop and rest.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
1025 posts
14 upvotes
win-star wrote:
Hi

Thanks,
Chris
I've driven my Mazda 3 to Orlando and back on two different occasions, only stopping for fuel and food. Your car will be fine driving 12-14 hours a day but know your personal limits.

The best time I've found to get a lot of miles is overnight. There isn't any traffic to speak of and crossing the border at 6-7PM is a breeze. By the time the sun comes out in the morning you should be in the Carolina's.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
20276 posts
1685 upvotes
coriolis wrote:
Jun 20th, 2011 10:22 am
I think the car is fine, I'd be more worried about your own self well being, keep yourself well hydrated, and stretch during your stops. Cars are engineered to go long distances, as long as everything is working properly.
^This.

Provided the car's engine or trans is not overheating (watch your gauges/lights), the car doesn't need any "rest". You however, do!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
7944 posts
337 upvotes
Well you're going to need to stop every 1/4 tank as you say, so your car can rest then. The issues with driving in the US is, that sometimes there could be a good distance between the next rest/gas station. So with a quarter tank to go, it's best to fill up. Your Corolla can manage to make the whole trip in one go, if there was a large enough gas tank. You on the other hand, might not be able to unless you have a co-pilot to take over when you nap.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
6048 posts
1511 upvotes
Your body will fail long before a vehicle will.
Deal Addict
Jun 23, 2005
2251 posts
261 upvotes
We drove a Chevrolet Impala 6600kms non-stop and it didn't give us a single problem.
2016 Cadillac ATS-V, 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, 2009 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Premium, 2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6, 2016 Camaro SS, 2007 Cadillac SRX, 2015 Z06
Nov 3, 2008
481 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
This thread terrifies me. How young / dumb do you have to be to think that you can outlast a car? If he isn't trolling, there's a good chance that he will hurt / maim/ kill someone out there.
Sep 18, 2007
251 posts
8 upvotes
It'll be fine, in fact it's good for your engine so long as you prepare. I always find that my cars seem to run better and idle smoother after a long driving trip like that. :)

Do the usual though; change your oil, check your tires, and other fluids, etc. before you leave.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 2, 2008
9727 posts
892 upvotes
win-star wrote:
Hi

Thanks,
Chris

some say that the white corolla will outlast other corolla
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2495 posts
83 upvotes
drive as long as your body can withstand. your car will be fine.

i've done this drive on a few occasions. and advice above about checking your vehicle prior to departure is important. carry extra things, like a bottle of oil and a spare container of gas may be a good idea.

ps. you will hate driving upon your arrival. at least, from my experience. :lol:
Mar 6, 2007
950 posts
59 upvotes
Heh. I've driven the 2200 kms from Halifax to Toronto a few times - basically non-stop. sometimes just 1 driver, sometimes swap out with a backup driver. As long as you're well rested before you go (I pack the car fully, sleep and once i wake up, have a coffee, I hit the road), you can basically drive as long as you are attentive. For me, cold air and good music helps a lot.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8682 posts
559 upvotes
Toronto
Agreed with all the above. The car will outlast the driver.

Some precautions to take:

Make sure driver is alert at all times. Safety should be your priority. Make sure you are well-rested, well-hydrated, well-fed. It's a good practise to have a small cooler of water bottles and fruits as light snacks (avoid heavy carbs as that will make you drowsy). Take a break if you need, you do _not_ want to fall asleep at the wheel.

As for the car, make sure your oil/fluids is topped up, tires are inflated to proper pressure, check alignment (a long trip with improper toe can easily eat up tires) if you haven't recently.

Set cruise control to 105kph, it helps you keep constant speed (save fuel) and resists the temptation to speed.

Good luck and stay safe!
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
17043 posts
2611 upvotes
Thornhill
At any signs of drowsiness, stop and rest if you're the only driver. I've had the pleasure of being the wingman of a really cocky driver, he was about to turn onto a highway when he realized he was driving on the wrong side of the road :facepalm: Thankfully it was 4am, so there wasn't any traffic. Arrive alive.
× < >