• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2018 10:29 pm
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
517 posts
41 upvotes
Edmonton

long flight with a baby- 3 economy vs 2 premium economy

Either way we will pay extra to get the bulk head seats(front seat).

My son will be 10 month old and he is pretty big for his age(95% weight) so I think 3 economy would make more sense but 2 premium is another option.

I called Aircanada and they said bassinet is not guaranteed.

the total travel time will be 12~15 hrs long(I am already stressed out).
13 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33674 posts
7661 upvotes
Ottawa
Many people pay extra for the front row premium economy thinking they get more. In fact, the bulkhead actually limits your legroom. You can never stretch out your legs under the seat in front of you. I suggest you that the row behind the bulkhead, if you are getting premium. You will be more comfortable..
Having said that, if you are taking 3 seats anyway, you can save a few bucks by just getting 3 seats in economy. There is no comfort on an aircraft for a 15 hour flight. We traveled to Australia in business class in the pods and it was even uncomfortable after a while.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
517 posts
41 upvotes
Edmonton
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 4:30 pm
Many people pay extra for the front row premium economy thinking they get more. In fact, the bulkhead actually limits your legroom. You can never stretch out your legs under the seat in front of you. I suggest you that the row behind the bulkhead, if you are getting premium. You will be more comfortable..
Having said that, if you are taking 3 seats anyway, you can save a few bucks by just getting 3 seats in economy. There is no comfort on an aircraft for a 15 hour flight. We traveled to Australia in business class in the pods and it was even uncomfortable after a while.
Thanks for the reply Pete.

Bulkhead seats are not for the extra legroom for us. You can "typically" install the bassinet in front of the bulkhead seats assuming our baby is not going to be over weight by then(12kg limit and he is 10.5kg now. travel will be oct 19). And also if we can lay down the blanket in front of our seat, he might be able to play with his toys. But again we never flew with a baby and never paid attention on those seats so I am not really sure.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33674 posts
7661 upvotes
Ottawa
hogujak wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 5:11 pm
Thanks for the reply Pete.

Bulkhead seats are not for the extra legroom for us. You can "typically" install the bassinet in front of the bulkhead seats assuming our baby is not going to be over weight by then(12kg limit and he is 10.5kg now. travel will be oct 19). And also if we can lay down the blanket in front of our seat, he might be able to play with his toys. But again we never flew with a baby and never paid attention on those seats so I am not really sure.
I have seen the bassinet used. You will want the legroom :)
If you get the other seat, you can raise the seat arms and lay the baby down on the seat too.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Banned
Mar 13, 2018
1385 posts
666 upvotes
Economy as you can put up the arm rest which you can't in premium

But if you're gonna get bulkhead, I think the aisle and middle seat arm rest is fixed
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
517 posts
41 upvotes
Edmonton
Gboard2 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 7:41 pm
Economy as you can put up the arm rest which you can't in premium

But if you're gonna get bulkhead, I think the aisle and middle seat arm rest is fixed
Oh really thats not good..
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
1780 posts
89 upvotes
Mississauga
Where are you flying to? If its EU then we tried it all and the best what worked for us is economy seating and inflatable plane pillow that goes where your legroom is so kid can use the seat as a bed! Our 11mo passed out right after take off at 23:00 and only woke up once or twice. Choose evening flights if that's an option.

Premium seating has solid side walls and it was the worst experience ever for us.
[OP]
Aug 3, 2011
517 posts
41 upvotes
Edmonton
koleso wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 7:57 pm
Where are you flying to? If its EU then we tried it all and the best what worked for us is economy seating and inflatable plane pillow that goes where your legroom is so kid can use the seat as a bed! Our 11mo passed out right after take off at 23:00 and only woke up once or twice. Choose evening flights if that's an option.

Premium seating has solid side walls and it was the worst experience ever for us.
We are flying to south korea so we will fligh with AC or korean airline. Flight departs at 14:20. Hopefully baby will sleep after 10-11pm.. really hope so
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5700 posts
1526 upvotes
Montreal
Pete_Coach wrote:
Sep 9th, 2018 4:30 pm
On top of not being able to stretch out your legs, you also have no under-the-seat stowage. During take off and landing, all baggage will have to go in the overhead compartment. During the flight, if you opt to keep the bags with you, they'll be at your feet which can be annoying.

OP, weight isn't the only concern for the bassinet. If your baby can sit up or pull themselves up (both of which he's probably doing at 10 months), the bassinet isn't safe for him. Even if AC let you use it, you shouldn't.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1668 posts
345 upvotes
I can't speak to the specific plane that AC is operating on the ICN route, but i've flew 787 to YVR on AC before and other planes on CX and EI on bulkhead and generally found that there's more leg room at the bulkhead room even with the bassinet installed. One thing about the bulkhead row is that there is generally more space, so you have more room to place your diaper bag and bottles, toys, etc etc. as needed. (the bassinet itself is extra storage space, too, when not in used by the baby)

i would think if you bought the seat where the bassinet is supposed to go, then you're pretty much guaranteed the bassinet?
what AC mean by bassinet is not guaranteed is that, if you just have a seat elsewhere in economy, then bassinet would not be guaranteed (in the sense that if someone bought that specific bulkhead seat before you check in and secured that seat, then you out of luck). when i travelled with my infant, i always checked in a bit earlier (+/- 3hr before flight) to ask for bassinet, they'd give it to us (by seating us at bulkhead) if it's available. which is about half the time.
like everything you read on the internet, however, this is just purely my logic/assumption. so please take with a grain of salt

back to the original question. assuming 3 Y seats costs less than 2 PY, I think you'd get more space with 3Ys. Unless you really need the unlimited booze from PY.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
33674 posts
7661 upvotes
Ottawa
manho wrote:
Sep 10th, 2018 10:24 am
I can't speak to the specific plane that AC is operating on the ICN route, but i've flew 787 to YVR on AC before and other planes on CX and EI on bulkhead and generally found that there's more leg room at the bulkhead room even with the bassinet installed. One thing about the bulkhead row is that there is generally more space, so you have more room to place your diaper bag and bottles, toys, etc etc. as needed. (the bassinet itself is extra storage space, too, when not in used by the baby)
I disagree with you on most of that. The bulkhead row does have a few inches more but, being a bulkhead row, you have no place to put your stuff...(no seat in front of you). All things need to be put in the overhead bin. Once you have the bassinet there, it takes up the little room you have and is very crowded unless it is a hanging one that they clip in above the floor. Then, that creates it's own set of problems.
Full disclosure, I do not have a small kid nor had a bassinet before but flown far too many times and seen the struggles with them. Also the entertainment screen is very small.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1668 posts
345 upvotes
you only need to store things in the overhead bin when the seatbelt light is on ;)

it's not fun trying to dig through your bags looking for the extra pacifier or try to mix your formula into the baby bottle, etc., in a regular cramped Y seat (esp. when the person in front reclined). The extra space is valuable.

i've used both the clip hanging one and the fold down table format ones. when the baby is not in the actual bassinet. it serves as an extra table where you can warm your bottles and stuff.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1152 posts
417 upvotes
keep in mind with 3Y seats, you can raise the arm rests and have a bit of flexibility with a bench type seat. in PY there is a hard divider between the seats that make things uncomfortable if the baby needs to lay down.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Jan 8, 2009
708 posts
350 upvotes
GTA
Will you need a carseat where you're going? Does your baby stay calm/sleep in their carseat now?

We only did a six hour flight when ours was that little but we paid for an extra seat and used her carseat and she passed out for huge chunks of the flight (the whole thing on the way home, people didn't even know there was a baby on board) and otherwise we had small toys to amuse her with but she expected to have to stay calm/quiet since she was in her carseat.

Just a thought and an additional option.