Tags:
None
[OP]
May 28, 2006
89 posts
2 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

Looking for a accountant

I am starting up my side business, I need a good accountant to give me some suggestions on the bookkeeping, eg. what to keep, what to not keep, how to do bookkeeping (excel file or paper records or simply accounting or quickbooks etc). Also filling the annual returns. any good accountant out there? BTW, I cannot afford too much on this, because this is a side business and I am just starting up :-)

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
9543 posts
696 upvotes
Muskoka
If you want to save money, you want to find a bookkeeper, an accountant will cost much more. A good bookkeeper who is well rounded and can do everything or almost everything for you will cost $25-40/hour. An accountant will be at least double that.
[OP]
May 28, 2006
89 posts
2 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
In scarborough
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2003
1358 posts
16 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Decent accountants (with proper designations like CGA, CMA or CA) will set you up and do your taxes, GST filings etc for $700 - $5000/year depending on complexity of your business.
Aug 3, 2005
677 posts
3 upvotes
If you are interested,pm me.I work in a Ca accounting firm in North york and they can help you.Cost will be anywhere from 1000 to 3000 on average.Depends on what you need as well.
Nov 21, 2004
517 posts
17 upvotes
Depending on the size of your business, perhaps you should consider doing it yourself. However, from a business point of view, perhaps your time is better spent by getting more sales instead of doing the grunt work.

From my past experience, there's much more to the numbers than normal bookkeeping. There's many ways to slice and dice the numbers which will tell you very meaningful things - where you are losing money, trends and many other unique factors. With a bookkeeper, you might not get this benefit or they might not be trained to do that. If you do hire, make sure you hire someone with some credentials - CGAs, CMAs and CAs are the most recognized in Canada.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2005
1480 posts
387 upvotes
Vancouver
if you have the time try and do as much of it yourself as accountants arent cheap.... annual reports just do yourself (like 35 bucks to file in BC and its easy) .. bookkeeping if the amount of activity is small enough just use a manual synoptic or excel, but would prob be a good idea for somebody to take a half hour or so to set one up for you and go over it

but then yeah youd prob want to give all your 'bookkeeping' etc. to someone at the end of the year to file your taxes for you