• Jan 13th, 2018 6:00 pm
[OP]
Dec 23, 2006
666 posts
105 upvotes
Montreal

LOOKING FOR ADVICE: Entry Level DSLR

Hi guys

Same old story, but though I would ask on my favourite site! ;)

Looking for my FIRST DSLR. I've had SLRs before and used to develop my own film, so I am beyond a beginner for how to use and quite tech savvy as well. I am partial to Canon and am thinking best bet is to start with used stuff on Kijiji for best value, but am open to any super package deals. Ideally i wanted to a wide-angle lens and a telephoto. My question is this: there are SO MANY different models to choose from, can anyone point me in the right direction? If I was looking for a 1 or 2 generation old DSLR, what are your recommendations. Budget is on the low end. $500 or less to start...

Thanks!
Nov 30, 2011
2313 posts
889 upvotes
GTA
I'm not really a Canon person but many people seem to be happy with the Canon T4i. A quick search on Kijiji shows that they are roughly in your price range.

I (and several friends) have had good luck purchasing used cameras and equipment on Kijiji. It sometimes take patience, but it is possible to find almost new equipment for great prices. People sometimes "want to get into photography" and buy the equipment but then it just sits in a drawer for a while and is eventually sold. Several months ago a friend purchased a Sony Nex6 with kit lens with a shutter count less than 150 - it had been purchased for a spouse but they preferred using their cell phone to take photos.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
1795 posts
330 upvotes
Regarding the T4i recommendation, I have one and it was my first DSLR/SLR type camera. I use it for kids mainly. I think most people bought it because it's basically the same as the t5i so for a period of time, it was quite a good deal.

The downside to the T4i are conveniences like the lack of wifi and onboard image stabilization. I really wouldn't get a camera without these two features in today's day and age. I can go without all the fancy 4k video features. I just want to be able to take photos on the go and be able to easily get those photos off the camera and onto the web without a laptop. Also, having used a film SLR, you may be neurotic about sensor size and prefer full frame over APSC.

If frame size isn't an issue and you don't have a bunch of old canon lenses that you still want to use, you may want to consider mirrorless cameras. they're packed to gills with features and are in the upper end of your price range when purchased used.
Jun 5, 2007
111 posts
37 upvotes
APS-C DSLRs are going the way of the Dodo bird, phones and mirrorless are killing them off.
Deal Guru
Jun 15, 2012
10845 posts
5057 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Based on your location, this is your Canon EF-S WA lens, cheap by WA standards as the mirrorless equivalents are A LOT MORE.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-appareil-photo- ... nFlag=true

T4i is a good start, it is 99% T5i and better than the T5 and T6 (no "i"), when you want to upgrade, sell it at little or no loss.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorde ... nFlag=true

What's the telephoto for? (will determine particular lens)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8839 posts
3055 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
cheers2 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 2:17 pm
APS-C DSLRs are going the way of the Dodo bird, phones and mirrorless are killing them off.
Then that's perfect for the OP as it will drive the price down! :)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2180 posts
293 upvotes
Get the newest Rebel that you can find in your price range?

I used a t3i for 6 years and learned a lot

Just upgraded to an 80D
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7342 posts
1295 upvotes
What are you planning to use the camera for ??
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
[OP]
Dec 23, 2006
666 posts
105 upvotes
Montreal
Motorcycle trip with my wife to mount Cadillac in Bar Harbour.
1451 posts
76 upvotes
If you're just taking scenic photos then I'd agree with above and go mirrorless. I have the t2i and I primarily use it for telephoto sports photos where pinpoint fast focus is required. I use my mirrorless much more simply because the Canon is a lot to carry. For your purpose, I'd go with micro four thirds (MFT) with a nice prime lens.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7342 posts
1295 upvotes
Glad I asked then cause you totally should look into mirrorless.

A good choice around that price range may be the Canon EOS M100. However, you need to wait for a sell or come up a bit higher on the budget but I think you will like it.

Pictures may show a clear advantage and used the T6i cause it is the oldest T-model available and both T6i & M100 has the same size sensor anyway.

Ohlias wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:22 am
Motorcycle trip with my wife to mount Cadillac in Bar Harbour.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2004
4804 posts
259 upvotes
lens selection for Canon mirrorless is terrible. Don't do it. There are only a handful of lenses and they are all lackluster. If you want mirrorless get a Sony, Fuji, or Olympus. If you're more budget conscious the Sony a6000 is reasonably priced for the performance and Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II or updated Mark III. But a used DSLR will be cheaper.
[OP]
Dec 23, 2006
666 posts
105 upvotes
Montreal
Oni-kun wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 3:34 pm
lens selection for Canon mirrorless is terrible. Don't do it. There are only a handful of lenses and they are all lackluster. If you want mirrorless get a Sony, Fuji, or Olympus. If you're more budget conscious the Sony a6000 is reasonably priced for the performance and Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II or updated Mark III. But a used DSLR will be cheaper.
All good points up above.

Decisions, decisions... man o man...
1795 posts
330 upvotes
Is buying the EF-M to EF adapter not a good option for Canon mirrorless?

I've been on the fence about "upgrading" to an m100 or m5/m6 and using the adapter so I can keep using my EF/EF-S lenses. Is it really that bad of an idea?
May 5, 2010
981 posts
284 upvotes
mr_yellow wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 4:16 pm
Is buying the EF-M to EF adapter not a good option for Canon mirrorless?

I've been on the fence about "upgrading" to an m100 or m5/m6 and using the adapter so I can keep using my EF/EF-S lenses. Is it really that bad of an idea?
It is if you don't have any Canon lenses to start with, which is the case for OP. If you already have lenses, it does make sense to use the adapter on a M5.