• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 6:00 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2606 posts
458 upvotes
Gin Martini wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 6:20 pm
It is if you don't have any Canon lenses to start with, which is the case for OP. If you already have lenses, it does make sense to use the adapter on a M5.
Adaptor makes it even bigger....
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
2606 posts
458 upvotes
Find an used Olympus EPL-5 with kit lens, buy the 9mm f8 fisheye, can be done under $400!

Flip screen for selfies!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8424 posts
2835 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
mr_yellow wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 4:16 pm
Is buying the EF-M to EF adapter not a good option for Canon mirrorless?

I've been on the fence about "upgrading" to an m100 or m5/m6 and using the adapter so I can keep using my EF/EF-S lenses. Is it really that bad of an idea?
An adapter is just something else to worry about either about compatibility, durability, dependability especially if it's a 3rd party one. There are also reports that some 3rd party ones will leak light under certain conditions. You don't want to worry about any of those things as it's typically too late to do anything about once you know about it.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2283 posts
879 upvotes
GTA
If the size of a DSLR isn't a problem for you, I would go with a used DSLR. There is a lot of good used Canon equipment available from camera stores, eBay and Kijii. IMHO that will give you a combination of the best bang for your budget now as well as the best upgrade path for the near future.

If you are seriously considering going the Mirrorless route something you may want to consider (given your SLR and film experience) is that there are a lot of wonderful old manual focus lenses available that will work with Mirrorless cameras (with inexpensive adapters). Some of these lenses are amazing and can be a lot of fun to use (and a bit of a blast from the past).
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
7238 posts
1216 upvotes
I have the a6000 myself but the reason I suggest OP to look into M100 is Canon seems to be getting more series about Mirrorless now and M100 was rated as one of the best in the class according to Dpreview.

The lens selection isn't great now but it will improve and the kit lens already seems decent, too.

E-M10 is great too but it will be hard one cheaper than the M100.
Oni-kun wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 3:34 pm
lens selection for Canon mirrorless is terrible. Don't do it. There are only a handful of lenses and they are all lackluster. If you want mirrorless get a Sony, Fuji, or Olympus. If you're more budget conscious the Sony a6000 is reasonably priced for the performance and Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II or updated Mark III. But a used DSLR will be cheaper.
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted:
Apr 24, 2017
41 posts
6 upvotes
mr_yellow wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 4:16 pm
Is buying the EF-M to EF adapter not a good option for Canon mirrorless?

I've been on the fence about "upgrading" to an m100 or m5/m6 and using the adapter so I can keep using my EF/EF-S lenses. Is it really that bad of an idea?
My friend bought the M5 and also bought the lens mount adapter as well so he can continue using his lenses.
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11728 posts
1223 upvotes
Kanata
I wouldn't get a canon mirrorless with the intention of using the adapter to use regular lenses on it, especially a telephoto, unless you are going to use a tripod. I wouldn't want to have that much weight on the front and then not have it at least stabilized somewhat against my body/face like I do when I use a DSLR with the viewfinder.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2006
8424 posts
2835 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
goofball wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 7:16 pm
I wouldn't get a canon mirrorless with the intention of using the adapter to use regular lenses on it, especially a telephoto, unless you are going to use a tripod. I wouldn't want to have that much weight on the front and then not have it at least stabilized somewhat against my body/face like I do when I use a DSLR with the viewfinder.
Not to mention the various reports of light leaks with some adapters. I can only imagine what would happen with an unsupported (weight wise) lens.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4844 posts
916 upvotes
Milton
used fuji xt10. great jpeg pictures out of the camera with their film simulations
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
1405 posts
537 upvotes
ontario
i'm really enjoying my olympus em-10 (1st gen). even adapted some of the old man's film lenses.

for me it is the perfect balance of image quality, size, lens selection (likely the most lenses in mirroless world) and price. you could pick up a used gen 1 (even II, now that the III is out) for a good deal on the used market.

if photography is putting food on your table a full frame dslr is the only way to go but for an amateur, the best camera is one you are willing to lug around wherever you go.