Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5868 posts
1606 upvotes

deleted

deleted
Last edited by TruE SkiLLS on Jan 25th, 2021 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2007
13044 posts
11386 upvotes
Lowepro Fastpack 250 Backpack
"An essential aspect of creativity is not being afraid to fail." -- Edward Land
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
How much do you want to eventually carry. I use the 3n1-33 and it's great but yeah it's a bit bulky but not much more than most backpacks. It looks like a box on your back which some people have told me it's much "cooler" than a regular bag but at the same time it's a box on your back LOL.

You can consider a Lowepro CompuRover AW if you want something that can carry similar amount of stuff. Actually the top compartment of the Rover should be able to swallow more stuff, but it's not padded unlike the kata. Or the Kata 467 backpack might suit your needs. It's unable to carry as much camera gear but it looks smaller than the 3n1.

In the end for me I went for the 3n1 because it's quicker access. The rover's good and might be better for hiking but the Kata's better overall.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5868 posts
1606 upvotes
I'm basically just planning to have those gear, nothing more.

If I do get an tele-zoom, it won't be within the next year or so, so I don't think I should worry too much about it.

I do like the style of the 3N1, but it seems like the 33 might be a bit too big, especially if I'm deciding to use the same bag to walk around town or around a park. (so basically it'd be a travel bag and maybe even a bag that I can walk around without the laptop)
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
TruE SkiLLS wrote: I'm basically just planning to have those gear, nothing more.

If I do get an tele-zoom, it won't be within the next year or so, so I don't think I should worry too much about it.

I do like the style of the 3N1, but it seems like the 33 might be a bit too big, especially if I'm deciding to use the same bag to walk around town or around a park. (so basically it'd be a travel bag and maybe even a bag that I can walk around without the laptop)
The CompuRover or 467 might be much better for your needs then. All of them can be opened up to be a full sized backpack but ripping out all those dividers will be annoying. As I said before the top compartment is much more usable on the CompuRover than the 3n1.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5868 posts
1606 upvotes
gotak wrote: The CompuRover or 467 might be much better for your needs then. All of them can be opened up to be a full sized backpack but ripping out all those dividers will be annoying. As I said before the top compartment is much more usable on the CompuRover than the 3n1.
Oh hmm... I just realized that carry on for Air Canada is quite small. I'm guessing none of these bags can be used for carry on then?

So would it be smarter to carry a backpack for laptop and then a smaller camera bag for just lens+body, or Air Canada's carry on requirements are wrong?
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2006
1880 posts
124 upvotes
TruE SkiLLS wrote: Oh hmm... I just realized that carry on for Air Canada is quite small. I'm guessing none of these bags can be used for carry on then?

So would it be smarter to carry a backpack for laptop and then a smaller camera bag for just lens+body, or Air Canada's carry on requirements are wrong?
The 3n1-33 just fits. It's .5 cm bigger in one dimension, but don't think any ticket agent or gate person will notice. Think it's similar for the other bags. They are soft so should be able to be stuffed into that wire frame thing they have.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
There is a small Swiss Army DSLR swivel bag at Costco for $38. It stays on your back until you're ready to swivel it up front for shooting. Nicely furnished and finished like most Swiss Army. No room for a Macbook, of course, but fine for camera, flash, filters and two or three lenses.
Feb 17, 2007
892 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
What kinda travelling are you doing? Usually people leave their laptops at the hotel and only bring out their camera. A backpack is good if you want to bring all your lens and stuff as a carry on. You can just put your camera in a casual shoulder/book bag when you're actually travelling. Just don't drop your bag. If it's just your camera in the bag, it won't get scratched. Camera bags have padding in it that make it a lot more bulky than it is... like double the size. Plus, a lot of them look so geeky.

I travel A LOT... last year I traveled 7 months of the year. I used a 5D MKII with 24-105 lens. I left the 580ex flash at the hotel the whole time. 5D has no built-in flash so it was all natural light + high ISO. It makes the trips way more enjoyable. But depends if you're traveling to enjoy or to work on your photography skills. I used a FCUK and LV book bag and an Adidas airliner bag. Also fits in a purse if your gf brings around big purses.

Be sure to also bring a small camera. There are a lot of situations where you don't want to bring a large DSLR like clubbing, formal dinner, etc.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2006
5868 posts
1606 upvotes
ricsad wrote: What kinda travelling are you doing? Usually people leave their laptops at the hotel and only bring out their camera. A backpack is good if you want to bring all your lens and stuff as a carry on. You can just put your camera in a casual shoulder/book bag when you're actually travelling. Just don't drop your bag. If it's just your camera in the bag, it won't get scratched. Camera bags have padding in it that make it a lot more bulky than it is... like double the size. Plus, a lot of them look so geeky.

Be sure to also bring a small camera. There are a lot of situations where you don't want to bring a large DSLR like clubbing, formal dinner, etc.
Thanks a lot everyone for their replies!

I'm going to be trekking around locally (downtown, parks, etc) without my laptop, but I'm also going to be out of country to "site see". I won't be traveling out of town too much, but I would like to have my laptop as well.

I'm not sure how safe it is to leave my laptop in the hotel room, kinda scared that someone might come in and steal or or something.

As for walking around with a small camera too, yes, I will be bringing a P&S for those times where I think going out with a DSLR is not a good idea.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
1726 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
Most hotel rooms i've stayed in have an inroom safe, don't forget your combination :D
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. :idea:
Jun 28, 2006
977 posts
142 upvotes
Calgary
faken wrote: Lowepro Fastpack 250 Backpack
This.

When I went to Japan last year I took this bag with my small netbook, D90+18-200.

It worked absolutely GREAT. During the day I'd leave the netbook in the hostel safes and just carry around the bag. The storage space on top was great for storing a travel book, water, souvenirs, whatever! Granted, it is a little big, but that's the price you have to pay in order to carry around your gear! You can't really do too much in a club or bar with a backpack so if you expect to go out at night I would recommend only bringing your P&S.

I'd also definitely recommend an actual backpack. Stay away from sling bags as they just get heavy and will eventually make one of your shoulders sore.

I brought my fastpack on the plane with no issues.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)