Careers

Looking to become a Police Officer...Any tips?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 1:10 am
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 11, 2007
974 posts
9 upvotes
Scarborough

Looking to become a Police Officer...Any tips?

So...been interested in policing for a while, looked into it a year ago and they told me I needed to get my eyesight corrected (lasik) in order to start the process...my eyes are horrible lol but anyways Ive taken the decision to get lasik done...will cost me about 5k. Anyone got any tips or suggestions? ive been working in security for the last 2 years trying to get my experience up in the mean time.

Any help is appreciated!

TIF
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
:facepalm:
46 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1032 posts
283 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
A post secondary education in pretty well anything that is law related will help a lot. Police departments want educated officers and pick them ahead of less educated ones.
A second language is also a huge benefit, but you should be proficient in it.
If you are a visible minority, you've got it made. If you are a white male, not so much. Yes, police departments still select on this basis.
[OP]
Dec 11, 2007
974 posts
9 upvotes
Scarborough
poleman wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:48 pm
A post secondary education in pretty well anything that is law related will help a lot. Police departments want educated officers and pick them ahead of less educated ones.
If you are a visible minority, you've got it made. If you are a white male, not so much. Yes, police departments still select on this basis.
Lolol dont have a secondary education in law but I do in graphic design!, Im also pakistani so im a visual minority? And speak more than just English...fluently :) Thanks for the info!
When I looked up "Ninjas" in Thesaurus.com, it said "Ninja's can't be found" Well played Ninjas, well played.
:facepalm:
Aug 14, 2017
1 posts
Hi!
Anybody know how i can prepare myself for ATS ontario pati exam. Any book or website?
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2008
1282 posts
44 upvotes
sal911 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:17 pm
Lolol dont have a secondary education in law but I do in graphic design!, Im also pakistani so im a visual minority? And speak more than just English...fluently :) Thanks for the info!
for GTA agencies, not anymore...
If you are going for policing just for the job, then don't bother. You must be physically and mentally fit. Physically not meaning be able to do 20 pushups, but actively participating in sports, preferably volunteering as well. If you still live with parents, then your chances just got 60% slimmer, no girlfriend or serious stable relationship, add another 20% there. If you have a lot of debts and traffic violations in the last 3-5 years, add another 10%. Peel police, OPP, and local Ontario police forces, get thousands of applications per year. If they need 10-50 officers per year, then do the math and analyze your chances. I have friends in police all over Canada, they all come from different backgrounds and all say the same thing, "THIS JOB IS NOT FOR EVERYONE". It is very mentally challenging, VERY STRESSFUL and physically demanding. If you want the job for cool pics for facebook and show off in front of your buddies, then don't bother applying.
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
22 posts
7 upvotes
poleman wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:48 pm
LOLZ..you couldn't be further away from the truth. Most of them are high school educated meat heads. They basically need mindless drones who follow orders without questioning it, irrespective of how stupid & illegal those orders are.

Again..LOLZ. Its still the Old boys White club over there. Have you been to PEEL region ( Mississauga, Brampton ) or even Toronto , the public is predominantly visible minority, but the Police force is still predominantly White.

Especially in the PEEL region. Ask any black or brown guy in PEEL, & you will know what I am talking about.

But its a nice gig if you like to power trip & want to make $ 100,000 + per year with some Over Time like guarding a construction hole, moonlighting at a private club, showing up at a traffic court for an illegal speeding ticket you handed out. You get paid 1.5 times for 4 hrs minimum, even if you show up for 15 mins & the ticket gets thrown out.
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
22 posts
7 upvotes
AndrewShev wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 1:34 am
for GTA agencies, not anymore...
If you are going for policing just for the job, then don't bother. You must be physically and mentally fit. Physically not meaning be able to do 20 pushups, but actively participating in sports, preferably volunteering as well. If you still live with parents, then your chances just got 60% slimmer, no girlfriend or serious stable relationship, add another 20% there. If you have a lot of debts and traffic violations in the last 3-5 years, add another 10%. Peel police, OPP, and local Ontario police forces, get thousands of applications per year. If they need 10-50 officers per year, then do the math and analyze your chances. I have friends in police all over Canada, they all come from different backgrounds and all say the same thing, "THIS JOB IS NOT FOR EVERYONE". It is very mentally challenging, VERY STRESSFUL and physically demanding. If you want the job for cool pics for facebook and show off in front of your buddies, then don't bother applying.
In US its stressful & dangerous. In Canada its a walk in the park with fantastic salary ( almost double the US salary ), benefits, pensions & power tripping that comes with it.

A garbage collectors job is more stressful & dangerous than a Pig's job in Canada. Even a TTC driver's job is more stressful & much less pay than a Bacon's job in Canada.

Look at the Sammy Yatim killer, James Forcillo roaming the streets like nothing happened. Yet to spend a single day in jail.

toronto-police-officer-charged-second-d ... m-1373412/

Look at the off duty cop & his brother who beat up a black teenager with a steel pipe & he lost an eye. and the cover up done by their daddy cop & 2 police departments.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/chief-s ... 2113517/2/

Very stressful ..huh ? If you are a cop in Canada you can get away with pretty anything, their strong Police Union will see to that.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2008
1282 posts
44 upvotes
sounds like a guy who applied and never got in. Go for it then if it's so rewarding and easy.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4799 posts
479 upvotes
Toronto
Security is (no longer) a stepping stone to becoming a cop.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2009
2103 posts
351 upvotes
Toronto
AndrewShev wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 8:08 am
sounds like a guy who applied and never got in. Go for it then if it's so rewarding and easy.
Many people applied but just didn't get selected. Many people talk smack of this job is because we hear how physical and mentally demanding it is that many police officers want to quit but we have so much trouble getting in.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
4157 posts
1371 upvotes
Being a police officer in toronto is the easiest way to get 6 figure salary quickly... No, I'm not joking.
Do some overtime and go to traffic hearings at the court.

Pretty good gig.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8073 posts
2877 upvotes
Toronto
Volunteer as an Auxiliary Officer first.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
1846 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto
There is a saturation of people wanting to be cops in Toronto. You would need to move to the middle of No Where, Canada for a legitimate shot and work there for a few years. After which, you will do a transfer to a city.

Volunteering goes a long way with the ability to network with other cops so that they can vouch for you. I assume a police foundation course would help somewhat.

Assuming you have the qualifications.
Aug 5, 2017
102 posts
20 upvotes
raichu1 wrote:
Nov 15th, 2017 1:19 pm
There is a saturation of people wanting to be cops in Toronto. You would need to move to the middle of No Where, Canada for a legitimate shot and work there for a few years. After which, you will do a transfer to a city.

Volunteering goes a long way with the ability to network with other cops so that they can vouch for you. I assume a police foundation course would help somewhat.

Assuming you have the qualifications.
damn dude everything is saturated in Canada Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1032 posts
283 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
sal911 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:41 pm
So...been interested in policing for a while, looked into it a year ago and they told me I needed to get my eyesight corrected (lasik) in order to start the process...my eyes are horrible lol but anyways Ive taken the decision to get lasik done...will cost me about 5k. Anyone got any tips or suggestions? ive been working in security for the last 2 years trying to get my experience up in the mean time.

Any help is appreciated!
TIF
In my last post I was going to give you the heads-up on some of the responses to expect, you know, the cop haters, etc. I see they didn't take long.

Anyways, you have to learn to deal with the scum of the earth as a police officer and their aftermath. And that means not only B & E types, but child abusers, their victims, speeders that of course don't deserve a speeding ticket but will verbally abuse you.
Dealing with these types is everyday, but as for the cop haters you usually only see them on boards such as this one, until they have to call 911, then they eat crow. The only unfortunate thing about these people is sometimes they have children. And so the circle of hate continues.

The unfortunate part of being a police officer is that you often become not just immune to the bad and the ugly, but you often become jaded. You will learn to not turn on the news at night.

The misguided people that think cops do nothing but give out traffic tickets really don't have a clue.
Last week a city cop was shot and killed in Abbotsford, BC. He was on traffic duty and answered the 911 call. While the civilians the guy was shooting at wisely ran for cover, he went after the guy.

So if you really want to become a cop, go for it.