• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2019 10:29 pm
[OP]
Nov 16, 2008
104 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton

Looking to buy cordless drill

I am looking to replace an old Mastercraft cordless drill. I will be looking to purchase one from Canadian Tire because I have a gift card. I am looking for one that is at least similar or better (specs) to what I currently have. I will be using it for projects around the house and repairs.

Current drill:
3/8 in keyless chuck
18 V NI-CD
275 in-lb torque
Variable speed ranges: 0-400 & 0-1400 RPM (no load)

Is this a good replacement?
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/blac ... 1344p.html

If not please share other recommendations from Canadian Tire.
69 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11270 posts
443 upvotes
Why do you need to replace your old drill?
Dec 18, 2017
419 posts
154 upvotes
London, On
It looks fine for home use, although I prefer 2 batteries myself. I see the one you linked is half price right now, and the same model with 2 batteries is $179, so I would buy 2 of these for $120 if they are in stock.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2008
104 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton
mbg wrote:
May 20th, 2019 3:05 pm
Why do you need to replace your old drill?
The battery is no good anymore.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6238 posts
2759 upvotes
Paris
sm30 wrote:
May 20th, 2019 6:03 pm
A 12v drill will have more power and be more useful than a very basic 18v.

My 12v Milwaukee is what I reach for 99% of the time. The 12v mastercraft isn’t as good as the Milwaukee, but it’s very capable.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4291 posts
1577 upvotes
If it’s just for odd job home work I’d consider corded for your price range.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2007
1056 posts
408 upvotes
Last year I got the DeWalt 20v drill and impact drill. Very happy with it, but likely not a CT item. As mentioned, having 2 batteries is pretty handy. By the time I use one up, the other is charged, even when using fairly heavily.
[OP]
Nov 16, 2008
104 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton
Red_Army wrote:
May 20th, 2019 6:10 pm
If it’s just for odd job home work I’d consider corded for your price range.
I thought about a corded drill but the convenience of cordless and not having to find a plug near by makes the cordless more appealing. It just so happens the link to the drill I posted above is on sale right now. I am not fixed to that specific price and if I need to spend a little more for a better/more reliable drill than that's okay too.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4291 posts
1577 upvotes
sm30 wrote:
May 20th, 2019 8:28 pm
I thought about a corded drill but the convenience of cordless and not having to find a plug near by makes the cordless more appealing. It just so happens the link to the drill I posted above is on sale right now. I am not fixed to that specific price and if I need to spend a little more for a better/more reliable drill than that's okay too.
I wouldn’t be looking at anything other than lithium then

I’d go with the dewalt they have on sale as the BD rpm is pathetic
Last edited by Red_Army on May 20th, 2019 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11270 posts
443 upvotes
sm30 wrote:
May 20th, 2019 6:03 pm
Maybe replacement battery availability should be a feature on the next one so that our landfills can breathe easier.
Feb 27, 2007
193 posts
52 upvotes
mbg wrote:
May 20th, 2019 8:35 pm
Maybe replacement battery availability should be a feature on the next one so that our landfills can breathe easier.
For most homeowners RIDGID is usually the best choice simply for the lifetime battery replacements to prevent this unless another tool brand can do something the equivalent RIDGID can't.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/brand- ... tools.html
Jan 21, 2018
455 posts
336 upvotes
Vancouver
sm30 wrote:
May 20th, 2019 2:52 pm
I am looking to replace an old Mastercraft cordless drill. I will be looking to purchase one from Canadian Tire because I have a gift card
Milwaukee and Ridgid as mentioned by others are good choices, but they are not carried by Canadian Tire (mainly by Home Depot).

The Black & Decker model in your CT link is cheap, but not the best quality. CT also carries DeWalt - a better quality choice, but more expensive and no good sales at CT right now.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15631 posts
5855 upvotes
What is interesting is that the black and decker you provided is only 115 in-lbs of torque. Even the entry level mastercraft is the same ( https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... p.html#srp ). I would worry this might not be enough if you are expecting one as powerful as you have. With the lithium ion the power is continuous - with your old drill it got weaker as it died.

Normally I would advocate picking from a brand (Mastercraft, Ryobi, Rigid, etc) that offers a wide variety of tools that use the same battery. This allows you to grow your tool collection over time. Because you are limited to just Canadian Tire that would leave me recommending Mastercraft. Therefore I would recommend you wait for this Mastercraft drill to go on sale: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mast ... p.html#srp

Again, I would have other recommendations like Ryobi but you are limiting yourself to Canadian Tire so I'll stick with the above as my recommendation.