• Last Updated:
  • Sep 12th, 2019 8:53 am
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2006
2017 posts
717 upvotes

looking to buy a Full Frame camera

Looking for some advises to buy a full frame camera:

Rumor says Canon 6D2 is coming out soon in Apr. 2017, should I wait for it or buy During black Friday / Christmas?

when usually does full frame go on sale? I had Sony A37, Sony NEX-5, Canon 60D and some lens for each before, only a Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM lens left, so brand does not matter.

Read some articles, seems Canon 6D mark2 is the best bet for my need, but not sure if it worth the wait; also Sony A7R Mark2 seems excellent, just out of budget, well, if 6D2 comes out close to A7R2, would not mind spend some extra. What does Nikon have to compete with these 2 above? Any advantages? If compare 5DMark4 with A7RMark2, which would you take?

Most of my photos will be landscape, portraits, street shoot; no sport / wild animal / birds for now
12 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
4511 posts
2168 upvotes
Calgary
What's your reason for buying full frame? Is there are reason for no longer having the Canon 60D? Are you getting it simpler because it's 'better'?

People usually upgrade to full frame, and do not start from it, as it is rather expensive to get a full system. System wise it really is a matter of preference, and the system you go with with likely be what decides the camera. Sony A7RII is a mirrorless camera and much lighter than its counterparts, but it does have a few drawbacks. No one can really tell you what is better as they each brand have their strength and weaknesses. The 5D mark IV could be considered the best of the bunch.

Your lens will also matter more towards what you shoot. You need lens that will work with full frame.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
If you're not married to any system (ie; don't already have a bunch of lenses) and you did your research on why you want FF, the 6D2 will likely be close in price to a used D750 which is a superior camera. A few places have it on sale new close to $2200, so a used one should be $2K or less.

If you go mirrorless FF, expect an arm&leg for lenses, while there a tons of good Nikon legacy glass on kijiji.

*As long as you don't mind carrying a big system.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3530 upvotes
If you don't care about video, buy used and buy older!

5Dmk2, 6D or Nikon D800, 750 etc...save your money and spend more on glass!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3530 upvotes
Also Nikon does insanely better in dynamic range....

And yes the other important question....why Full Frame? Do you want the 'full frame look'? Or because you think it's the best quality?
Nov 9, 2016
5 posts
1 upvote
So I can recommend you to buy Canon EOS 5D Mark IV. It's rich camera, have a good quality. original EOS 5D bought full-frame photography to the masses, the Mark II unleashed Full HD video capture for the first time on a DSLR, and while the Mark III became a firm favourite amongst photographers. Electric Light Bulb
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
not many deals for these camera's....just saying.

its not like full frame is mass produce and there's a lot of supply.

it's meant to make a profit for these companies...and the retailer.
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2007
1169 posts
97 upvotes
I moved to FF by going with the Sony a7ii. Love that camera. Small, lightweight, fantastic DR (Nikon uses Sony sensors), and adapters for any lens mount are available to use other companies' glass.

Got it on sale at Aden on Boxing Day last year. Haven't seen it cheaper yet.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5244 posts
3530 upvotes
One problem we face is currency, dollar isn't great right now and it reflects on imported goods.
Sep 4, 2019
1 posts
So I would like to recommend you Nikon Z6. It has full-frame CMOS and 24.5 Megapixels camera and also have autofocus 273-pint AF. I also bought same camera for my professional work and I like it very much.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2018
1373 posts
1854 upvotes
Landscape and portraits, not much action stuff.. looks like pretty much what I do. I used to have a D750 and it's a beast of a camera.. if you don't mind the bulk.

Recently switched to Sony though as it's a more compact set-up and haven't regretted it. I got an a7r2 for the resolution (detailed landscapes and portraits) and the good thing with E mount is there are several small/light/high quality prime lenses available. If you don't need autofocus (I don't), it's a good choice to save weight and bulk.

Three lenses are enough for me:
- Voigtlander Nokton 21mm 1.4 - the "best" wide angle prime according to Diggiloyd / Fred Miranda and can be used for landscapes, astro etc...
- 35mm as a walkaround lens and environmental portraits. I use a Voigtlander Ultron adapted but there are other native options available, including the new Sony 35/1.8 that looks pretty nice
- Loxia 85mm 2.4 - hard to beat for landscapes, same optics or better than the 1.4GM but in a smaller and lighter package. Awesome smooth bokeh to compliment ultra sharp portraits

I don't use zooms as I want to save weight/bulk and the 42MP sensor lets me crop massively if needed. But there are plenty zooms options available if that is what you are into.

Just sharing my views, hope it helps.
Jan 17, 2017
269 posts
411 upvotes
mattnew wrote: Landscape and portraits, not much action stuff.. looks like pretty much what I do. I used to have a D750 and it's a beast of a camera.. if you don't mind the bulk.

Recently switched to Sony though as it's a more compact set-up and haven't regretted it. I got an a7r2 for the resolution (detailed landscapes and portraits) and the good thing with E mount is there are several small/light/high quality prime lenses available. If you don't need autofocus (I don't), it's a good choice to save weight and bulk.

Three lenses are enough for me:
- Voigtlander Nokton 21mm 1.4 - the "best" wide angle prime according to Diggiloyd / Fred Miranda and can be used for landscapes, astro etc...
- 35mm as a walkaround lens and environmental portraits. I use a Voigtlander Ultron adapted but there are other native options available, including the new Sony 35/1.8 that looks pretty nice
- Loxia 85mm 2.4 - hard to beat for landscapes, same optics or better than the 1.4GM but in a smaller and lighter package. Awesome smooth bokeh to compliment ultra sharp portraits

I don't use zooms as I want to save weight/bulk and the 42MP sensor lets me crop massively if needed. But there are plenty zooms options available if that is what you are into.

Just sharing my views, hope it helps.
How does cropping replace zoom lens?
Do you understand how lens compression works? A photo taken at 85mm is not the same as a photo take with 35mm and cropped.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2018
1373 posts
1854 upvotes
Dealsfordina wrote: How does cropping replace zoom lens?
Do you understand how lens compression works? A photo taken at 85mm is not the same as a photo take with 35mm and cropped.
Yeah we know you understand more than everyone here, mister expert.

However if you read my post well enough, you will see that I speak about my needs/experience and I couldn't care less about compression. A 85mm cropped a little gives me around 100mm easily and that's what I am looking for (it's called giving more reach). Whether its more compressed or not is the least of my concerns. If I want compression I use 85, if I don't I use 35. Really not that hard to understand but let me know if you have any questions.