• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2018 8:26 pm
[OP]
Jan 6, 2006
196 posts
1 upvote

Looking to buy a Luxury Midsize SUV

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a luxury midsize SUV, I'm considering the 2017 models as they are giving good discounts on them. Don't care so much about performance, just wants a comfortable and quiet ride. So far, I went to the Infiniti dealer, and was offered the 2017 QX60 Premium + Driver Assist package for $49650 all in. Dealer will throw in matts, and other accessories for free.
I haven't look at Acura MDX, Lexus RX yet, but from looking online, they will probably be more expensive than Infiniti QX60.

This is a good deal? And what would you choose with a 50-70k budget?

Thank you so much for your input!
60 replies
Nov 4, 2008
431 posts
276 upvotes
GTA
You obviously don't care about performance if you're looking at the QX60 lol I suggest you really take it for a test drive unless you already have. I drove it recently for a week (rental) and hated it, drove like a bloated boat :facepalm: Not impressed at all by the CVT transmission and fuel economy was really bad 18L/100. Handling was non existent but it will definitely get you from A to B.

If your budget is up to $70K, take a look at the new 2017 Volvo XC90.
May 3, 2016
65 posts
46 upvotes
Comfortable quiet ride = Lexus.

Infiniti is honestly the worst choice (for a Luxury SUV) because all their models are very old and are due for a refresh. And the QX60 is basically a nicer Nissan Pathfinder.
Yes, the RX is basically a Highlander but the interior materials are much nicer and the MDX is bascially a last gen Pilot but it has SH-AWD.

The QX60 has nothing over the Pathfinder except for the badge.

And I agree with taking a look at the XC90.
Sep 13, 2008
670 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't driven the XC90...but it definitely looks to have luxurious qualities. However, I'm pretty sure they are outside of your stated upper price range...maybe take a look at the XC60? The MDX doesn't seem luxurious to me, but it drives pretty well.

I think the RX is the best option for you. IMO, it provides arguably the most luxurious feel for anything in the price range. I love the interior of the RX and it provides an extremely comfortable ride. However, I personally didn't go with the RX because the driving feel is quite numb, performance is less than what I wanted and I think the exterior look is not aesthetically pleasing.

For me, the QX60 shares the same negatives as the RX...numb steering and lack of performance. The interior is less luxurious than the RX, but it is more spacious.

I guess you are only looking at Japenese? What about GLC300, Q5 or X3?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7724 posts
315 upvotes
Brampton
With that budget I would go with the Volvo XC60, maybe squeezd in the XC90 if you stay light with the options.

If you must stay Japanese then the Lexus RX is probably the best choice.
Jan 23, 2017
503 posts
300 upvotes
Calgary
Have you considered a Mazda CX-9?

It's a little shy on cargo space compared to its competition, but is leaps and bounds ahead in most every other dimension. Good value!
Sep 13, 2008
670 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
OKSpring wrote:
Jan 4th, 2018 10:52 pm
Have you considered a Mazda CX-9?

It's a little shy on cargo space compared to its competition, but is leaps and bounds ahead in most every other dimension. Good value!
I forgot about this one. It is a good option. Interior quality is better than most. It handles very well for a vehicle that size. While performance isn't great, it does have a lot of pep...good low end torque. I did find it to be tight in the driver's seat though....similar to the GLC300...very narrow due to the big and high centre console.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2001 posts
341 upvotes
The MDX with SH-AWD drives like a big car when it’s driven on Sport mode. With your budget, put a little more in and the Elite Package has pretty much every piece of tech that you can ask for. Gas mileage is very reasonable as well.

My only complaint is that there is a bit more wind noise than one may expect. It’s definitely not as quiet as the RX, but it handles better.

You may also want to specify if you want a 7-seater or not, as they are slightly different segments with different choices (ie MDX vs RX)
Nov 28, 2006
440 posts
60 upvotes
mdx for 7 seater, lexus if you want 5 seater.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
17107 posts
5395 upvotes
Ottawa
tchoke wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 6:50 am
mdx for 7 seater, lexus if you want 5 seater.
MDX is barely a 7 seater. Lol
Nov 28, 2006
440 posts
60 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 8:10 am
MDX is barely a 7 seater. Lol
true 7 seater = minivan
but i get what you're saying
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
17107 posts
5395 upvotes
Ottawa
tchoke wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 9:17 am
true 7 seater = minivan
but i get what you're saying
It's a very tight 3rd row compared to other 3 row SUVs.
You can't beat a minivan for interior space, but other SUVs, such as the Explorer I bought has a more pratical 3rd row that can seat adults comfortably and with the optional 2nd row bucket seats and pass-through; it makes the MDX look like a tin can.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5031 posts
2321 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If you want comfy, go with lexus. If it were me though, I'd definitely give the volvo xc60 or 90 a try; they're great cars that don't get enough attention
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.