• Last Updated:
  • Jan 14th, 2019 9:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1256 posts
1435 upvotes

Looking to buy a new fridge

Mine is running on 13 years old so I'm starting to look for a new one soon. It's been forever since I looked at them. Any recommendations for fridges? Brands? Brand to start away from?
I'd like a bottom freezer model but if not, then just a standard French door model.
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
5623 posts
2007 upvotes
Alberta
Don't even think about buying anything made by Samsung.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5451 posts
1620 upvotes
Space
I bought a Samsung fridge. The price was right and I got extended warranty for not much ( 100$ for 5 years ). Build quality is average, I think some of the previous issues of early build Samsung fridges have been fixed in the newly sold models. If I didn’t get such a sweet deal on my fridge, I would have went with a whirlpool. Really well made fridges IMO.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1020 posts
132 upvotes
Ottawa
if your 13yrs old fridge still works.. stay with it. just clean out the condensors fins and fan once every 4 months.

Canadian Government is fixation on carbon tax yet give blessing to poorly made appliances and cars and the unwilling of the msNufacturer to provide fair priced parts.

imagine how much carbon energy saved to make a new car, new appliance.
my rant..

yes stay away Korean stuff from my experience
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10684 posts
4239 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
cf7777 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 3:34 pm
if your 13yrs old fridge still works.. stay with it. just clean out the condensors fins and fan once every 4 months.

Canadian Government is fixation on carbon tax yet give blessing to poorly made appliances and cars and the unwilling of the msNufacturer to provide fair priced parts.

imagine how much carbon energy saved to make a new car, new appliance.
my rant..

yes stay away Korean stuff from my experience
Exactly.

Appliances don't have a best before date and the energy savings you get from a new fridge will take decades to pay off especially if your old fridge is still working.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 28, 2017
1256 posts
1435 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 6:59 pm
Exactly.

Appliances don't have a best before date and the energy savings you get from a new fridge will take decades to pay off especially if your old fridge is still working.
Expect most fridges don't last beyond 15 years at most
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10684 posts
4239 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
User381785 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 1:27 pm
Expect most fridges don't last beyond 15 years at most
Where are the statistics to support that? I have two fridges in my house - one over 45 years old (3x longer than your number) and another over 35 years old. I also have two freezers which are about 35 years old.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1682 posts
586 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
craftsman wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 1:39 pm
Where are the statistics to support that? I have two fridges in my house - one over 45 years old (3x longer than your number) and another over 35 years old. I also have two freezers which are about 35 years old.
I think the OP meant contemporary fridges (made in the past decade or less). I think OP should hang in there with the current fridge until it starts to give trouble. Not sure how long a 2005 fridge would last but I ugess it depends on manufacturer.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Mar 22, 2017
444 posts
355 upvotes
craftsman wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 1:39 pm
Your fridge set is not a modern fridge set. It will have been both made more simply (fewer things to break) and more durably (higher quality parts, no planned obsolescence).

TO OP:

If you can, buy the simplest fridge you can. This doesn't mean 'cheap', it means 'simple', without an included ice maker or water dispenser unless those things are quite important to you. Those are items that tend to break. Also check that you have easy access to the defrost panel and don't have to disassemble the fridge. Also, remember to clean the condenser coils every few months and pour a little bleach down the defrost tube, it'll last longer.

Don't buy a 'discount' brand like Danby or Haier. Don't buy a luxury version of a mainstream brand like GE, LG, Samsung, etc, because the quality control isn't much better than their cheaper versions and they have more parts that can break. If you're rich, you can buy a Miele (best) or Subzero, maybe Fisker & Paytel (sp?) - those are brands that have a history of good quality, and while F&S got bought by Haier a while ago they haven't yet started liquidating their brand. Don't buy gimmicky stuff because it breaks, costs too much and it's part to find parts.

Personally I bought a basic Whirlpool bottom freezer model and am happy with my choice. It works fairly well, I didn't overpay so when it breaks in 8-12 years like most other fridges I don't cry as much, and the quality of the fridge isn't bad (don't think the shelves will crack, can't find parts, etc)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
21034 posts
7030 upvotes
This doesn't make sense for most people, but I'm never buying a residential fridge ever again.

Ended up picking up a http://www.us-refrig.com/reach-in/usbv- ... -freezers/ single door for $800.

It's amazing.

Currently using some junk residential model freezer that I hate. I'm going to sell it soon and buy commercial freezer.
Deal Guru
Jan 27, 2006
10684 posts
4239 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
grumble wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:09 pm
Your fridge set is not a modern fridge set. It will have been both made more simply (fewer things to break) and more durably (higher quality parts, no planned obsolescence).

TO OP:

If you can, buy the simplest fridge you can. This doesn't mean 'cheap', it means 'simple', without an included ice maker or water dispenser unless those things are quite important to you. Those are items that tend to break. Also check that you have easy access to the defrost panel and don't have to disassemble the fridge. Also, remember to clean the condenser coils every few months and pour a little bleach down the defrost tube, it'll last longer.

Don't buy a 'discount' brand like Danby or Haier. Don't buy a luxury version of a mainstream brand like GE, LG, Samsung, etc, because the quality control isn't much better than their cheaper versions and they have more parts that can break. If you're rich, you can buy a Miele (best) or Subzero, maybe Fisker & Paytel (sp?) - those are brands that have a history of good quality, and while F&S got bought by Haier a while ago they haven't yet started liquidating their brand. Don't buy gimmicky stuff because it breaks, costs too much and it's part to find parts.

Personally I bought a basic Whirlpool bottom freezer model and am happy with my choice. It works fairly well, I didn't overpay so when it breaks in 8-12 years like most other fridges I don't cry as much, and the quality of the fridge isn't bad (don't think the shelves will crack, can't find parts, etc)
Even with the difference in design, there are no statistics on appliance failures and expected lifespans in general. Of course, there are the cheapo ones that aren't made to any standard other than being cheap. If you go by manufactured components, an argument can be made that due to the improved materials and manufacturing techniques, the average MTBF for parts has increased over the past few decades as seen in the auto industry. All we see anecdotal evidence in these forms about X appliance purchased Y years ago breaking but no hard numbers of how many actually break vs how many are working appliances are just replaced...

IMHO, most appliances are thrown out not because they break but because the kitchen gets remodeled and the old appliances are no longer in style - ie no more Golden Harvest coloured appliances as everything has gone stainless steel or having the 'built-in' look.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3169 posts
2460 upvotes
The NORTH
Friends don't let friends buy Samsung. PERIOD.

Samsung is like a fisherman, they load up a fridge with all the shiny that they can, LCD's in the doors, tech that barely works... They do not stand behind their products at all, just do a simple google search for thousands of horror stories. Their customer service philosophy is to make it as difficult for you to get service as possible to frustrate you into submission then to band aid the product till its out of warranty. Don't get tempted by the shiny lure, don't get caught! For every "well mine is fine" person you come across you can find 10 people that were screwed around by them with some online searching.

I've had 2 Frigidaire Gallery's in the last 20 years and neither had so much as a hiccup.

Anecdotal evidence aside, do not buy a brand, buy a model. Every company can have a lemon (except samsung, they are ALL lemons) so decide on the features you want and then look for the best rated model with those features.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3226 posts
766 upvotes
Oshawa
How long things last really depends on how much you care about cleaning and maintaining. And obviously some luck.

The 5 cu ft freezer we have in the basement that is from 1987 (Kelvinator) ... And it's still running like a gem.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1682 posts
586 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
grumble wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 3:09 pm
Don't buy a 'discount' brand like Danby or Haier. Don't buy a luxury version of a mainstream brand like GE, LG, Samsung, etc, because the quality control isn't much better than their cheaper versions and they have more parts that can break. If you're rich, you can buy a Miele (best) or Subzero, maybe Fisker & Paytel (sp?) - those are brands that have a history of good quality, and while F&S got bought by Haier a while ago they haven't yet started liquidating their brand.
FWIW, Haier now owns GE appliances too and has for under 3 years.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1682 posts
586 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Modern compressors are more efficient (a large part of where the power savings come from) but they don't last as long as the old ones.