Automotive

Looking to buy pre-owned sedan/hatchback

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 2nd, 2019 1:22 pm
[OP]
Mar 25, 2019
2 posts

Looking to buy pre-owned sedan/hatchback

Hey, I'm a student looking to buy my first car! Can someone recommend some specific brands/models? Appreciate it a ton!!

Budget: below 10K
Use for daily commute and Kitchener <-> Toronto once per week
Not looking to resell any time soon (definitely keeping it > 5 years)
Either sedan or hatchback (I heard hatchback is cheaper, is that right?)
Other concerns include maintenance cost (usually very busy with school, wouldnt want to go through too much trouble for repairs) & insurance cost (I'm 25 with with a G2, so would like to save on insurance as well)
25 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28080 posts
13894 upvotes
Ottawa
First!,,,Corolla.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
2116 posts
642 upvotes
CherryZ84656 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2019 12:57 pm
Hey, I'm a student looking to buy my first car! Can someone recommend some specific brands/models? Appreciate it a ton!!

Other concerns include maintenance cost (usually very busy with school, wouldnt want to go through too much trouble for repairs) & insurance cost (I'm 25 with with a G2, so would like to save on insurance as well)
Do you know how many potential buyers are all looking for cars under 10k at any time?? Look for a vehicle in best condition that also meets your budget/requirements!!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2232 posts
2276 upvotes
GTA
Do you need much space? Either for yourself (tall vs short), or for passengers or cargo? That will help narrow things down.

sub-compact vs compact vs mid-sized
Jun 14, 2008
180 posts
36 upvotes
tdot
Beige Corolla FTW! esp '05 (9-gen version).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5887 posts
3896 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Buy a cheap corolla and invest the money you save. By the time the Corolla dies, you will have saved enough money to buy a new Lexus.
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Mar 27, 2019
1 posts
CherryZ84656 wrote:

Hey! i work at Direct Nissan in Mississauga, i have a pre-owned option you may be interested in:

2014 Ford Focus SE (69,777km) only $9,995

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Focus/ ... up=2_15_36

The vehicle will come with safety and emissions at no extra cost + $500 accessory voucher that can be applied to any accessories of your choice (tinted windows, remote starter etc.) The car has plenty of basic features including bluetooth, heated seats, air conditioning plus much more. Feel free to call or text me at (647) 267-0815
[OP]
Mar 25, 2019
2 posts
Dont need much space, and its for passenger..so I actually prefer smaller size coz they are more fuel efficient, wanted to save more on gas
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
2232 posts
2276 upvotes
GTA
In that case, I agree with post #3: Civic or Corolla. Buy the newest one with the lowest km's you can for $10k. Unless you absolutely want a hatchback.

If it were me, I'd be looking at 2012+ Civics.
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
1974 posts
450 upvotes
Montreal
Brand new Nissan Micra.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2176 posts
898 upvotes
B.C.
PatrickP12891 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2019 2:13 pm
Hey! i work at Direct Nissan in Mississauga, i have a pre-owned option you may be interested in:

2014 Ford Focus SE (69,777km) only $9,995

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Focus/ ... up=2_15_36

The vehicle will come with safety and emissions at no extra cost + $500 accessory voucher that can be applied to any accessories of your choice (tinted windows, remote starter etc.) The car has plenty of basic features including bluetooth, heated seats, air conditioning plus much more. Feel free to call or text me at (647) 267-0815
Buying a Ford Focus at a Nissan dealership sounds like the worst idea ever. Maybe second worse, I think buying a Chrysler at the Mitsubishi dealership would probably be worse.
Nov 21, 2015
404 posts
217 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic as mentioned above. You could also go for something like a Volkswagen Jetta if you wish. My first car was a 2006 Corolla; very affordable and lasted quite a long time before selling it to the new owner. If you do regular maintenance and don’t abuse the car, then they’ll last! You can easily find any of these 3 cars in pretty much mint condition within your budget. You should also consider acquiring your G to save on insurance!
Jan 17, 2009
997 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
CherryZ84656 wrote:
insurance cost (I'm 25 with with a G2, so would like to save on insurance as well)
Lol... Get a quote on insurance cost via the cars VIN before you commit to buy something. You will be shocked on how much insurance is on the "cheap" cars (especially the ones that people are recommending). Any car thats common among kids and new/bad drivers will have expensive insurance, especially if you're a G2 as a primary driver.