• Last Updated:
  • Jul 12th, 2018 12:42 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4575 posts
1490 upvotes

Looking to buy a small and cute computer that will last me a long time

After all this time I'm still looking. Can ask my bf to build me one but I would rather not as he'll get me stuff that I'll never use.

I've looked at the dell and lenovo deals but they don't really have anything with smaller and good looking cases maybe the alienware aurora but that thing is massive.

I do very light gaming and video editing to post on youtube. Ideally looking for something standardized and upgrade-able just in case I outgrow it or something breaks down on me. I don't mind paying a bit more for something that looks nice and will last me a long time but like to have a relative decent bang for my buck

Are there any other manufacturer's I can look into? Should I build my own?
17 replies
Mar 8, 2004
325 posts
91 upvotes
Montreal
vivibaby wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 12:30 am
After all this time I'm still looking. Can ask my bf to build me one but I would rather not as he'll get me stuff that I'll never use.

I've looked at the dell and lenovo deals but they don't really have anything with smaller and good looking cases maybe the alienware aurora but that thing is massive.

I do very light gaming and video editing to post on youtube. Ideally looking for something standardized and upgrade-able just in case I outgrow it or something breaks down on me. I don't mind paying a bit more for something that looks nice and will last me a long time but like to have a relative decent bang for my buck

Hi,

so you're using a lot of words that are bit at odds between each other for computers or may have different meaning from one person to another. What is light gaming can mean different things and requires a somewhat good video card to handle 3D. Video editing requires more RAM memory and a medium type video card as the image is 2D but files can run quite large. I think the best way would be to prioritize your needs between budget (best hardware for your budget), performance (what's the minimum tolerable hardware), and time/ease of use (do you want to spend some time fiddling with hardware and how long do you want it to last). The life of a PC averages about 3-5 years.

If you want cheap, then performance/life will obviously be at the opposite; upgradable and good looking rarely go together if you want something that is reasonable in terms of price. Then there's ease of use, are you more of a mac user, PC Linux or PC Windows user? Also, don't neglect peripherals, those things can add up fast and can be an easy way to upgrade your user experience without shelling out too much on the PC; ex. mechanical keyboard and mouse, a good monitor , etc.. Also put a value to time, I would tend to say if you build your own, you know what's inside so it's easier to know its performance grade and also it also means you'll know what's easily upgradable but it does take some time to shop for deals, buy, install, and configure; especially if you want a best bang for your buck, you'll need to be patient and wait for sales. If you're more into ready made computers, it comes with its hassle of not necessarily knowing the ease and scope of how much you can upgrade and you may be stuck with specific hardware.

Personally I prefer, build yourself a tower for performance, but you'll need to shop around a lot more. Or you can try a macbook pro; I find their life duration is fair and ease of use is actually better than Windows (without going into the PC vs. Mac debate). If budget is no limit, I would tend to say, get a mac for work or regular use and a dedicated tower for gaming; that'll maximize utility and life of machine, and provide you the easy of upgrade for performance for games. If budget is an issue, i'm afraid you'll need to get something in between and/or you'll need to get a new machine earlier rather than later.

If you want to go with ready made, there's a few options for you like the Intel NUC 8 series; if you do gaming i would tend to look at https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/in ... ,5536.html
You've mentioned Alienware, Lenovo, I think HP and Asus has some options. You can also go to places reayd to build for you (usually charges from 25 to 100$ to install and configure).

good luck.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11380 posts
1959 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 12:30 am

There are plenty of SFF (small form factor) cases out there that would perfectly suit your needs. However, please note that just because you go small, doesn't mean you get cheaper... and in most cases it's the opposite.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

This link has many of the top SFF cases on the market. For the most part, they will be much smaller than the Dell cases. But keep in mind that with limited space, it means it may limit you in your components:

RAM might be too tall
GPU might be too tall and/or long
PSU may need different size like SFX or TFX
Cooler might be too tall and/or wide

So if you don't mind doing some research and likely spending more than you would for a Dell PC, then go for it. For the case, I would recommend the Raijintek Metis. It's cheaper, will fit many coolers which in turn will fit more RAM options. Room for 1 HDD and 2 SSDs. If you go with an ATX PSU, you will be limited to SFF GPUs, but if you go with a SFX PSU, you can get most GPUs (just not any of the really large ones with 3 fans). It comes in many "cute" colors and it's available! SFF cases just aren't very popular in Canada. I actually had to but mine from Amazon UK.

This wasn't meant to scare you. It's actually not difficult, but does require a little more effort and planning than a regular build.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
2492 posts
723 upvotes
Windsor
Building it yourself = greater upgradeability in the future. You'll probably need to definite what you mean by "light gaming" and "video editing", which will essentially determine what videocard you need. From there, you can see what PC form factor (ITX or mATX) can fit what you need (e.g. if light gaming is playing Crysis every once in a while at 4k, or video editing is 1080p videos that you want to edit with specific software).

With videocard nailed down, and form factor, then you just dig around for cases that fit the rest of your hardware. There are too many variables to really suggest anything for you, unfortunately.

Here's an example of what you might be looking at: Random Ryzen ITX build
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4575 posts
1490 upvotes
I never even thought about the macbook pro. What makes them good for games and video editing especially since it's a laptop?

The type of case I'm looking for is similar to the old mac pros or maybe a completely see through one. I find most of the metal and plastic cases tacky looking not to mention getting cuts when I try to open them. I heard there are a few cases that were made by enthusiasts that were crowdfunded but not sure if they're worth it.

I will also need the ability to hold 2 storage drives for backup raided cause I don't like wires and external drive. Either that or getting a nas but that's just getting more footprint to my build and only I access my data.

I need to cut and clip videos for youtube. I didn't know that takes a lot of resources? With the gaming I'm getting along fine with a 1050ti but am tempted to upgrade if I'm building a new computer for a new case if it doesn't fit.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6731 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
Are you talking about this type of mac pro, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_Pro#/ ... _Tower.jpg

This case sorta looks like it, https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 6811854061

It has space for 2x3.5" HDDs for RAID, and 1x2.5" for SSD. I do not know if your 1050ti will fit, but it probably will.

Premium cases ($60+) should not cut you, even most low end cases don't either now.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4575 posts
1490 upvotes
Yes I am!

I would totally buy it if it was brushed aluminum and have holes in it like the mac pro but I don't think I will enjoy looking a black case. Kinda like a mechanic's shop if you know what I mean.

I'll keep that in mind! My bf has a top of the line lian li and I find that it's still rough around the edges.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
6731 posts
1055 upvotes
Toronto
You have to keep in mind that those mini itx cases so much smaller than the Mac Pro, so they have a bit more a cutesy factor to them.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
11380 posts
1959 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 6:07 pm
Wow that's similar! I've hard bad reviews about bitfenix tho.

This is the kickstarter one I was talking about. I'm considering the silver version. Made by lian li and 225usd. Will I be getting what I'm paying for or is it all style?

https://www.sfflab.com/products/dan_a4- ... 3016718345
I'm a big fan of various SFF cases... the DAN Cases A4-SFX is good, but only fits SSDs. If you have hard drives, you should look at NCASE M1 . It's bigger, so it can hold 2 HDDs. Another to consider is the Louqe Ghost S1MkII.

All these cases are very very tiny, have good quality materials and airflow (for a SFF case anyway), but they are all very pricey. You will probably spend over $300 (after conversion, shipping, and taxes).

Is this your boyfriend's case? Top of the line Lian Li with lots of rough edges:
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1080 posts
1007 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 5:39 pm
Yes I am!

I would totally buy it if it was brushed aluminum and have holes in it like the mac pro but I don't think I will enjoy looking a black case. Kinda like a mechanic's shop if you know what I mean.

I'll keep that in mind! My bf has a top of the line lian li and I find that it's still rough around the edges.
Sorry, but if the case is boring looking but seems to have what you want, juse get one of those vinyl decal kits that cover it completely. Id rather have the hardware I need to edit videos etc. than worry about how it looks.

Think of your needs first, then cover it in pink flower decals. Easier and cheaper than finding the perfect thing that might not exist. There are even places that will do it for you and offer you many styles.
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
4575 posts
1490 upvotes
joeyjoejoe wrote:
Jul 10th, 2018 6:47 pm
I'm a big fan of various SFF cases... the DAN Cases A4-SFX is good, but only fits SSDs. If you have hard drives, you should look at NCASE M1 . It's bigger, so it can hold 2 HDDs. Another to consider is the Louqe Ghost S1MkII.

All these cases are very very tiny, have good quality materials and airflow (for a SFF case anyway), but they are all very pricey. You will probably spend over $300 (after conversion, shipping, and taxes).

Is this your boyfriend's case? Top of the line Lian Li with lots of rough edges:
I will consider your suggestions as I need two big hard drives raided for data backup. Have you seen them go on sale?

The ship looks really nice but is a bit expensive for me. Ebay shows over $600. Do you know how much it is when it first came out and when do they usually release novelty cases?

I'm looking to spend 1000-1500 and maybe up to 2000 if it's really really nice. I think I'll be happier in the low 1000 range with a really nice case.

Also considering this one here

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... 6811139129

Not sure if the lights is worth an extra $70 but $130 is pretty good if the quality is decent and is functional. Case I would rank above average in terms of look.