Wheels and Tires

Looking to buy tires in US, is it better?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 3rd, 2019 11:40 am
[OP]
Jun 14, 2008
180 posts
36 upvotes
tdot

Looking to buy tires in US, is it better?

Greetings,

I have a 05' Corolla (Beige, of course) and in need of new tires. Pref all-season and was considering of crossing the border to buy all-season tires (185/65R15 or 195/65R15). I'll also be making an order for car parts and was looking to pick it up in Niagara/Buffalo-area, so it'll be easier if I consolidated my order into one-trip.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Is there a price difference in tires vs buying locally (Toronto-GTA area)?
3 replies
Feb 13, 2009
42 posts
6 upvotes
Surrey, BC
I buy all my tires online. It’s always been cheaper for me even with the conversion and tax etc.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
6752 posts
1496 upvotes
Those tire sizes are extremely common for all makes and models of tires making them using pretty cheap to buy.

What model are you looking at and how much do you think you can save by buying south of boarder? I think you will find it isn't worth your time vs going to a reputable tire shop in Canada.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24431 posts
4677 upvotes
1. Don't by no-seasons, esp. not on Corolla which is unsafe enough as it is.

2. You'll have to shop out/price out the size, make, model tyres you want and see what they cost here v. what they cost across the border and compare the total prices after everything. In the past 6-7 years or so, I've found it's cheaper to get tyres right here locally, but everyone's specific size and model selection is going to be different. Try getting quotes from the usual suspects over here--Simply Tire, Tires23, etc. and compare to what you're seeing online in the US and remember to add in all the fees for installation, duties/taxes, etc. Keep in mind there's also often rebates associated with buying tyres and some of the rebates in the US are either difficult or impossible to claim when you don't live there.