• Last Updated:
  • Jan 30th, 2019 10:57 pm
[OP]
Aug 28, 2011
123 posts
52 upvotes
CALGARY

Looking for a “good” coffee maker

I like good coffee. Keurig is ok but would like to move to grinding my beans. I’m not after an Espresso but a good cup of coffee. Have been looking at the Breville Precision or a similar OXO. Any members have any suggestions?
26 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2904 posts
1972 upvotes
Keurig is the worst way to brew coffee as it gets three things wrong -- beans (not fresh at all, and ground in advance), water temperature (not hot enough) and extraction time (way too short).

If you don't want to invest in a machine but want an excellent non-espresso brew, look into Aeropress, French presses or pourovers (Chemex being the best but others will do the job) and a decent kettle to heat the water (and if you want to be really picky about it, use bottled or filtered water) I'm a French press fan myself. Any of these will put a Keurig to shame.

If you just have to go the Keurig route, get one of those refillable K-cups and grind your beans immediately before use. This avoids the problem of those grounds being in those K-cups for months/years getting stale.
[OP]
Aug 28, 2011
123 posts
52 upvotes
CALGARY
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 6:09 pm
Keurig is the worst way to brew coffee as it gets three things wrong -- beans (not fresh at all, and ground in advance), water temperature (not hot enough) and extraction time (way too short).

If you don't want to invest in a machine but want an excellent non-espresso brew, look into Aeropress, French presses or pourovers (Chemex being the best but others will do the job) and a decent kettle to heat the water (and if you want to be really picky about it, use bottled or filtered water) I'm a French press fan myself. Any of these will put a Keurig to shame.

If you just have to go the Keurig route, get one of those refillable K-cups and grind your beans immediately before use. This avoids the problem of those grounds being in those K-cups for months/years getting stale.

Not looking to go the keurig route but not looking for too manual as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
3226 posts
766 upvotes
Oshawa
I'm satisfied with my Hamilton Beach 12- Cup 2-way FlexBrew Coffee Maker - 49985C .

Otherwise, it would be Nescafe Instant Coffee.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8611 posts
6036 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 6:09 pm

Good post

People are soft now... if they consider the basic act of pouring hot water over fresh ground coffee beans... too difficult / time consuming.

It’s the way Coffee has been made for thousands of years the world over.

No fuss, no muss. And easy on the environment.
(everything is compostable ... and coffee grounds are actually good in many gardening applications)

We use a Melitta Pour-Over Cone for single serve applications
A French Press if we plan on more than one cup ... or want to share with our SO
And if there’s friends about ... it’s an Automatic Drip Coffee Maker.
Also have a big honking Perculating Urn also for those times there is a houseful of Guests

Honestly, no interest in these pod coffee machines.
Makes poor, albeit EXPENSIVE Coffee
Dec 23, 2015
651 posts
699 upvotes
+1 for Pour over cone & filters.
Jul 19, 2018
115 posts
118 upvotes
I went through a bit of a coffee snob phase... Currently own and still use my Chemex, Aeropress, and Baratza encore, gooseneck kettle, etc. Putting in the time and effort with fresh roasted beans will get you an amazing cup of coffee.

That said, I picked up a Ninja coffee bar from Costco because my GF isn't into complicated coffee making processes, but was sick of keurig coffee and honestly the machine is not bad at all once you get the ratios right. It has a blooming feature and the head hits the grounds evenly, I've never noticed over extraction with it. I now use it Monday-Friday for my first cup of coffee at 5:30am when the last thing I want to do is spend 10 minutes making a Chemex coffee.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2005
6798 posts
2049 upvotes
Markham
Aeropress is the easiest and most consistent way to make very good coffee. You can easily "dial it in" and duplicate good coffee every time with little effort and cleanup.

The pour overs where the you stand there with the gooseneck Hario and moving the thing in a slow circular manner is way too much work IMO. There's also the Melitta style cone/filter setup where you just dump water in and wait for it to drip thru. There is also the one time very popular Bodum "french press".
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
2283 posts
453 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
you can grind your own beans and put them into your own single serve cup brewer like a keurig or tassimo. I do this all the time
Hi
May 2, 2011
891 posts
163 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Stay away from the OXO Barista Brain. I bought it and the coffee was never hot enough. It tasted good, but was almost luke warm instead of hot. I can't drink scalding hot coffee like some people, but this thing was just warm. I returned it and never tried another drip. Heard good things about the Technivorm and Breville, but they're pricey.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
18527 posts
3164 upvotes
GTA West
drpepper1 wrote:
Jan 17th, 2019 1:54 pm
I like good coffee. Keurig is ok but would like to move to grinding my beans. I’m not after an Espresso but a good cup of coffee. Have been looking at the Breville Precision or a similar OXO. Any members have any suggestions?
You have to decouple brewing and grinding.
Similar to photographers, when they want a 'good' camera, they separate the body from the lenses.

My system is to use a Bodum Bistro burr grinder with a chemex coffee maker. For me it is an extremely good quality combination and serves my needs perfectly.
What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Dec 3, 2009
258 posts
31 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 18th, 2019 6:03 am
People are soft now... if they consider the basic act of pouring hot water over fresh ground coffee beans... too difficult / time consuming.

LMAO get over yourself. Just because people want to save time doesn't mean they're soft

"Geez people have been walking for thousands of years, why do they need cars. They're so soft"
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2904 posts
1972 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Good post
Definitely! And for that impatient hater, I use a few shortcuts/workarounds if I'm in a hurry, using my French press. I get it, in the morning you probably don't want to mess with grinding just before use, getting the water temperature just right, pouring the water slowly in circles, letting it steep for 4+ minutes, etc... But that doesn't mean settling for Keurig, or worse, the Tim's drive-thru...

So what I'll do is grind the beans the night before, and grind finer than usual (French press usually calls for a medium-coarse grind, not medium or finer).
I'll use boiling water rather than 200F water. And rather than let it steep 4+ minutes, I'll stir the mix vigorously for a minute immediately after the boiling water went in, then press, then pour it out to serve.

Doing the first few things definitely are "wrong" in that the coffee would be overextracted, which is why I cut the brew time down to a minute, to minimize that.
Using this technique saves time AND still gives me coffee that beats anything out of a Keurig.
PointsHubby wrote:
Exactly. @playnicee1 can go back to his area of expertise, shilling for MTY Corp... Leave coffee to the experts.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Jan 25th, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8611 posts
6036 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Jan 21st, 2019 4:24 pm
Definitely! And for that impatient hater, I use a few shortcuts/workarounds if I'm in a hurry, using my French press. I get it, in the morning you probably don't want to mess with grinding just before use, getting the water temperature just right, pouring the water slowly in circles, letting it steep for 4+ minutes, etc... But that doesn't mean settling for Keurig, or worse, the Tim's drive-thru...

So what I'll do is grind the beans the night before, and grind finer than usual (French press usually calls for a medium-coarse grind, not medium or finer).
I'll use boiling water rather than 200F water. And rather than let it steep 4+ minutes, I'll stir the mix vigorously for a minute immediately after the boiling wate went in, then press, then pour it out to serve.

Doing the first few things definitely are "wrong" in that the coffee would be overextracted, which is why I cut the brew time down to a minute, to minimize that.
Using this technique saves time AND still gives me coffee that beats anything out of a Keurig.
Yes... there are certainly WAYS & MEANS to get a faster mug of joe
Just takes a bit of practice
Than settling for a Press & Go Pod, or a cup of instant (Blech)
Lol, Instant Coffee is only good for one thing... reconstituted Coffee flavouring for the likes of Baking
In the same way one uses Instant Bouilon in Cooking

But if either Coffee or Broth is the main aim
Then it’s worthwhile going old school