Cell Phones

Looking for cell phone advice for snowbirds.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2017 8:36 am
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2013
4171 posts
472 upvotes
NORTH YORK
tonyford wrote:
Aug 21st, 2017 4:50 pm
Hi all,

My folks just retired and are planning on spending 6 months in the USA a year. Right now they have a telus plan that does everything they need in Canada (no data, just voice and text for 20 a month). But when they travel to the states they aren't sure what to do. They are hoping to have data, has anyone had an experience on what route to go and not get gouged.
It sounds like to me that they have a home #. Forward all calls to a TextmeUp VOIP # (free Canadian #, free incoming call and text) which can be accessed in the US free with a smartphone). Cancel the Telus plan as well.
Nowadays data is king. And when your parents are in the US, they will have to use data (Wifi or cellular data like Roam Mobility) to operate the VOIP#. No harm done in trying it out too
If they have a desktop or laptop, they can have access anywhere as well.
Daniel

Fido $15 3Gb plan
free TextmeUp SMS/MMS/incoming call
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
1859 posts
140 upvotes
Thanks all! Going to get my folks setup with Roam. I really appreciate all the advice!
May 8, 2009
1755 posts
466 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
l69norm wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2017 9:58 pm
Nettalk has a horrible reputation in both US and Canada. Avoid
example
nettalk-canada-incoming-calls-disabled- ... t-1905579/
I wouldn't use Nettalk for VoIP. Mind you, I see no reason not to use their wireless service. If I travel to the US more frequently, and need much more data, I'll likely go that route.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
May 8, 2009
1755 posts
466 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
krs wrote:
Sep 4th, 2017 9:57 pm
I would just use one of the new Zoomers plans - specifically designed for snowbirds.

May not be the cheapest but it doesn't require anything fancy to set up and use which I think for older people is important
http://www.zoomerwireless.ca/rate-plans/canada-us-plans
Honestly for snowbirds a US-based Canada/US deal makes more sense. More competitive and cost-effective options, especially on BYOD.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3027 posts
173 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
titaniumtux wrote:
Sep 4th, 2017 11:09 pm
Honestly for snowbirds a US-based Canada/US deal makes more sense. More competitive and cost-effective options, especially on BYOD.
Do you have some examples?

I have a number of friends in the US and they pay more for their cellphone service than I do
May 8, 2009
1755 posts
466 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
krs wrote:
Sep 5th, 2017 9:26 pm
Do you have some examples?

I have a number of friends in the US and they pay more for their cellphone service than I do
For Canada roaming:
  1. Nettalk Wireless
  2. T-Mobile
  3. AT&T
For US-only usage (no Canada roaming)
  1. FreedomPop
  2. Sprint or any of their resellers or subsidiaries (Virgin Mobile, etc.)